Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #1816
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Thats good news,nice to have a good outcome.
Bike looks good, kick and electric is a good combo.
I have been through French pass many years ago on a trawler cool place but treacherous tides.
What are you going to do for a windscreen?
Yes, I've had a few interesting 'moments' going through French Pass in my marine farm boat the tide really races through that little gap.
I'm going to get a piece of dark perspex type stuff and heat it and form a windsheild a bit higher than the standard but it will have to be quite narrow because of the barkbusters, probably mock up a cardboard job first.
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #1817
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 616
You can make the screen full width as long as you cut notches out for the barkbusters to sit into.
Don't forget that the rubber mounted barclamps also have a bit of movement and may flex into the screen if dropped.
I bought one from ebay made by a crowd called skidmarx in the UK, Its a bit taller and has a lip to throw the air up as well.
It made a big difference to comfort.
Where does the road to French Pass come out? I was born in Picton so know the sounds pretty well but not the western side.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #1818
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
You can make the screen full width as long as you cut notches out for the barkbusters to sit into.
Don't forget that the rubber mounted barclamps also have a bit of movement and may flex into the screen if dropped.
I bought one from ebay made by a crowd called skidmarx in the UK, Its a bit taller and has a lip to throw the air up as well.
It made a big difference to comfort.
Where does the road to French Pass come out? I was born in Picton so know the sounds pretty well but not the western side.
I made a bit of a mock up with a beer box and will try to turn the top out a bit to deflect the wind,
Should do a build thread really, theres probably a few people interested in building an adv bike on a budget.
French Pass road comes out at Rai Valley and has a lot of twisty seal then gravel roads turning to clay tracks as it gets closer to home, I've ridden it literally hundreds of times ...never get sick of it !

Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #1819
willwombat64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
with every height screen i've tried the wind noise/turbulence is always greater than without , even a tall givi touring screen mounted almost vertically was noisier and although overall wind force is decreased for me the increased ear battering isn't worth it.
willwombat64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #1820
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

I use earplugs so increased noise is a non-issue for me.
The decrease in wind pressure is noticeable though, and the reduction in insect strikes.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #1821
xrsonly
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Anyone here with any hints on repairing Dominator plastics? I have a couple of cracked side panels and missing tabs. Any hints would be appreciated.

Finally got my rebored barell and head with new valves back from the workshops. Only thing Im not sure of is how to retension the cam chain tensioner....I think I read something about using a vice to tension the spring and hold it with a cable tie; anyone done this?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #1822
Clebner
Lurkin Slacker

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsonly View Post
Anyone here with any hints on repairing Dominator plastics? I have a couple of cracked side panels and missing tabs. Any hints would be appreciated.

Finally got my rebored barell and head with new valves back from the workshops. Only thing Im not sure of is how to retension the cam chain tensioner....I think I read something about using a vice to tension the spring and hold it with a cable tie; anyone done this?
I repaired my nx side panels with melted toothbrush handle pieces for the tabs glued on with a plastic weld epoxy.

The cam chain tensioner hast a little hole on top to hold it back with a specialized tool....I made one out of a drill bit and a bolt by drilling thru the bolt and putting the drillbit thru the bolt and into the the tensioner.
Clebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #1823
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Anyone have ANY idea as to the free length, inner diameter/outer diameter and rate of the stock REAR SUSPENSION SPRING? Not talking fork springs, not talking about rear shock as a full unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5PA View Post

NX650 (right)
240mm H
50.5mm Top X 55mm Bottom ID
81.5mm OD

Shock Specs;

NX650
collar to collar max 255mm
Collar OD 54mm bottom 48.7mm top
That is all I could find. Nothing about stock spring rate.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #1824
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
I snapped one of the little pointy male parts that fit into grommets off my sidecover
some JB weld made a great job of repairing it and sticking it back down.
If you have to span a gap I find that expanded mesh works well as a way of bridging gaps.
The stuff that is made of steel is a little stronger than the alu stuff but its no biggie.
You can sand and paint that plastic pretty easily I don't think you need to use plastic primer but it might be better as they are a little flexible.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #1825
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Everything round here is made of concrete (including my boat!) so I use an epoxy mortar called Hume bond which is a very stiff 50/50 mix with some kind of grit/fibers in it , Ideal for repairing those lugs as you can fix it in one shot and it goes real hard after a couple of days.
Just make sure you chemically clean the surfaces ,It can be used on wet surfaces and you just rub it smooth with water before it sets ...no sanding.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #1826
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Anyone have ANY idea as to the free length, inner diameter/outer diameter and rate of the stock REAR SUSPENSION SPRING? Not talking fork springs, not talking about rear shock as a full unit.
I did a pretty diligent search for the rear spring rate when I starting working on it and I couldn't find anything.

I've shortened my spring and increased the ID, so measuring mine wouldn't be much help to you. I can go measure the OD if you want...
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #1827
madart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
About the spring I can tell only that mine was probably changed and it's now 28cm in length.
madart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #1828
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I did a pretty diligent search for the rear spring rate when I starting working on it and I couldn't find anything.

I've shortened my spring and increased the ID, so measuring mine wouldn't be much help to you. I can go measure the OD if you want...
Thanks, but that wouldn't help much. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace it with something stiffer/progressive.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #1829
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Hi guys,
I spend most of my time here in this NX650 thread so I also wanted to share this thread I started with all of you. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708064

Thanks for tollerating my interuption!
Hope to see some NXs there!

Brian
McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1830
caegus
n00b

Oddometer: 2
idle noise

I am new to this site but have been following it for a while. I had a NX125 as a kid and told myself I would get a 650 someday if I came across one. Well a few years ago I did. My goal is to hold on to it forever and spoil the hell out of it for no reason but just to do so
I recently had it serviced at the local Honda shop, don't have time to do as much as I would like with 2 little ones. However since the service it idles like %&@*. It makes a PPSSSSSTT sound while idling. Almost like it is about to stall. It is only a brief noise but happens about every 30 seconds while idling. Used to ideal strong before the service and now it dies often when idling.
Thoughts? It is really a strange noise. And the noise seems to be coming between the bottom of the gas tank and the speedometer. Strange. I am not very mechanically sound yet so I apologize. I am willing and able to learn.
caegus is offline   Reply With Quote