User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2416
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Free to a good home for for the price of S&H

I have a NOS front CS sprocket, 15T, for an '89 NX650. Also have an '88-'89 FSM in good shape. In English.

Free to a good home, just pay shipping costs.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #2417
thewxman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
I have a NOS front CS sprocket, 15T, for an '89 NX650. Also have an '88-'89 FSM in good shape. In English.

Free to a good home, just pay shipping costs.
I'll take them off your hands if they are still available!
thewxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #2418
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post
Hello all Honda Dominator owners!
Hey John, welcome to the forum :)

Quote:
First oil burning! ... ...
You probably know, but I'll mention it anyway.... To check the oil on the Dominator you need to run it for a at least a few minutes to pump the oil up into the frame tank, stop the engine, then check it straight away... It seems best to actually ride the bike a bit rather than just having it sitting idling...

If the oil is dirty, I'd be inclined to change it then check it regularly to see how much it's using... They burn a lot more when the oil gets old and thin...

Mine was using a fair bit, about 1L in 1500km, I found the piston and bore were a bit scored so I did a rebore, new piston, rings, valve stem seals, valve guides... The valves and seats were ok, they just needed a clean up... I also replaced the oil pump because it had digested some metal at some stage...

Quote:
Tyres???
I want my dominator to perform off road, what are the best knobby Tyres out there?
I've been running Dunlop D606, they are very similar to the MT21 mentioned above... I get about 4500km out of the rears, and about double that from the fronts.... They handle on road and off road well, at around 20-22psi...

:)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #2419
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Cruising speed

On the subject of cruising speed, I usually cruise around 3500 to 4000 rpms, which equates to about 55-60 mph. I was thinking about changing the gearing to be a little better on the highway, so that the same rpms will keep me at 65mph. Has anyone changed their gearing significantly? I was thinking about just going down a few teeth in the back. Would I have to drop a lot of teeth in the back or would just a few make enough of a difference?
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #2420
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I can find sprockets in a variety of sizes. The stock gear ratio is at 3.00 with the 15/45 setup. I was thinking about changing it to a 2.80 ratio, which seems to be a more common ratio among dual sport bikes. The KLR has that ratio stock, and the DR650 has I believe a 2.67 or something. Even the old XL600's have a ratio around 2.80 stock. So I think a little more street performance would be acceptable, and it doesn't look like it will be that different off road.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #2421
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,044
still on the hunt

I am always looking for a used tranny in good shape from an nx650. To be specific I am looking for 2nd and 5th gears but willing to buy the whole tranny if need be and if at right price. Anyone with any leads please let me know

Cheers
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #2422
gibber rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Guys,
I have a problem with the dommie. After my last 3000k trip , I serviced the old girl and now she wont start!
I checked for spark and fuel. Had both ,although the spark was weak. Checked the coil , pulse generator ( pickup coil )
kill switch and ignition switch. Found the primary on the coil was a bit high so I bought a new coil. Still wont start!
When I checked the new coil,it has the same resistance as the old coil.
Could this be a CDI problem? Never had a CDI give me a fault like this before. Has any one had a similar fault?
Oh one other question, do the foot pegs off a XR650L fit fit the dommies. Im after a set of wide pegs
gibber rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #2423
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber rider View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a problem with the dommie. After my last 3000k trip , I serviced the old girl and now she wont start!
I checked for spark and fuel. Had both ,although the spark was weak. Checked the coil , pulse generator ( pickup coil )
kill switch and ignition switch. Found the primary on the coil was a bit high so I bought a new coil. Still wont start!
When I checked the new coil,it has the same resistance as the old coil.
Could this be a CDI problem? Never had a CDI give me a fault like this before. Has any one had a similar fault?
Oh one other question, do the foot pegs off a XR650L fit fit the dommies. Im after a set of wide pegs
Give the CDI a tap with the handle of a screwdriver and then try and start it.
The CDI units give trouble on these, I bought a replacement one from an aftermarket place in the Czech republic.
The XR650L footpegs are different, try welding bigger plates on to your stock pegs.
Underground an inmate here has some pics of his modded pegs, they look good.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #2424
petros600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
nx650 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...c001b509#v4-38
petros600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #2425
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 586
also one in Flea Market

Shameless plug
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....24&postcount=1

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2426
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Paint Options

I'm thinking about painting the bike this winter, and I'm not sure if I should keep it the original color or change it. I'd really like to not paint the frame a different color but if I have to I will. I have extra fairings and stuff so if it doesn't look great, I can always go back to the originals. Does anyone know of any good programs so I can play around with a few designs before trying it out? Or can I see some pics of painted NX650s?

I was really using this as my inspiration:

Photobucket
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #2427
gibber rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Give the CDI a tap with the handle of a screwdriver and then try and start it.
The CDI units give trouble on these, I bought a replacement one from an aftermarket place in the Czech republic.
The XR650L footpegs are different, try welding bigger plates on to your stock pegs.
Underground an inmate here has some pics of his modded pegs, they look good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I dont know if giving it a tap will fix it , but it will make me feel better! I have heard people
talk about this mob in Czech republic before, can you recall there name ? Whats there gear like ?
gibber rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #2428
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber rider View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I dont know if giving it a tap will fix it , but it will make me feel better! I have heard people
talk about this mob in Czech republic before, can you recall there name ? Whats there gear like ?
Ignitech.cz is their address, I have the Sparker in mine for the last year and its been good. There is a 2 yr warranty on their stuff as well which is peace of mind compared to OEM stuff which is non-returnable.
The actual CDI unit is a tiny bit smaller than the OE module but with the same plug fitment, all good.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #2429
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride

Just took a quick ride today into some new trails I hadn't been to yet. I got lost, and ended up riding out of the woods straight into a high school football game. Wish I had a picture of that . But here's just a few pics.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #2430
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,828
Just a heads up on my NX650 listing in the flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=nx650