Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #2611
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramidos View Post
Trying to upload some pics of my bike. Dont have any url adress to my pics. Have them in my computer and ipad. I suck at this. Any ideas??
Set up a photo bucket account and use the URL they give you when you upload your phoos.
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #2612
Aramidos
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post
Set up a photo bucket account and use the URL they give you when you upload your phoos.
Thanks!

Tuned it with a acerbis fueltank. Just ordered a arrow paris dakar exhaust, so will rejetting it soon.... Any tipps on how?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Aramidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #2613
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
parts catalogue

has anyone seen an official Honda parts catalogue for the 1993 (and later) Dominator? There is some crucial information in there that the online parts lists of the vendors are missing (concerning the oil pump)

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #2614
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
has anyone seen an official Honda parts catalogue for the 1993 (and later) Dominator? There is some crucial information in there that the online parts lists of the vendors are missing (concerning the oil pump)
Funny I have never seen one for the later Model Dominators, I have one for the first RD02 ( Arai MX-Pro on cover) but thats all I have seen.
What is the difference between the later model ones and the later model XR650L oil pump?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #2615
rabbitears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Question Tips for potential Dominator buyer

Hello inmates

Thank you for posting such useful info on the Dominator throughout this thread. I'm just getting into motorbiking (have had scooters and stuff when younger) and am looking around for a simple, rugged, road and trail capable bike and so the Dominator looks like something I ought to be looking into.

I have an appointment on Saturday morning to go and have a look at a 1993 Dominator with 80,000 kilometres (I'm in Sydney, Australia, so we use both kilometres and English here ) on the clock. From what I can tell from the ad, it looks in reasonable but not concours condition (which is fine). The seller says that there is just one minor problem with the bike: when the engine is hot, the countershaft sprocket will leak 5/6 drops of oil. The seller says that it's been like that for the last decade. As the problem has never got worse, he has never bothered to fix it and it doesn't affect the bike's operation.

My question is simple: is this a common problem on Dominators? And if so is a simple fix that anyone here is aware of?

Thanks in advance for all your help and apologies if anything is unclear - I'm still a newb to motorcycles (although I will have a friend who has 30+ years on motorbikes with me on the day when I go to inspect the bike).
rabbitears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #2616
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
@Aramidos
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #2617
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Funny I have never seen one for the later Model Dominators, I have one for the first RD02 ( Arai MX-Pro on cover) but thats all I have seen.
What is the difference between the later model ones and the later model XR650L oil pump?

There were a couple of changes concerning the oil pump, since there had been lots of problems with damaged camshafts/rocker arms due to oil deficiencies. Honda reacted by introducing oil seals at the pump shaft during the 1988 production (I got this info from a 1992 parts catalogue).

1993 the pump body itself got reinforcements to minimize oil leaking. Whereas the XR650/600 kept that pump 15100-MY6-670 until the last year of build, the evolution went forward with the Dominator: in 1995 or 1996 a pump with a thicker rotor of pump A (which pumps the oil into the frame reservoir) was introduced.

There are some discussions when this pump actually appeared first, the parts catalogue should clarify this. Its also not clear whether the pump 15100-MAN-690 has oil seals or not, in online parts catalogues the seals are still listed, but all used pumps I have seen so far did not have those seals.

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #2618
Aramidos
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
Thats great ! But how about the jets? Any guidelines?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #2619
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
It's all in the article, you didn't read it carefully.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #2620
Aramidos
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
It's all in the article, you didn't read it carefully.
Oh... Looked lika ads at first... Big thanks !
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #2621
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitears View Post
Hello inmates

there is just one minor problem with the bike: when the engine is hot, the countershaft sprocket will leak 5/6 drops of oil. The seller says that it's been like that for the last decade. As the problem has never got worse, he has never bothered to fix it and it doesn't affect the bike's operation.

My question is simple: is this a common problem on Dominators? And if so is a simple fix that anyone here is aware of?

Thanks in advance for all your help and apologies if anything is unclear - I'm still a newb to motorcycles (although I will have a friend who has 30+ years on motorbikes with me on the day when I go to inspect the bike).
Welcome to the forum :)

The counter shaft seal is cheap and easy to replace, mine was leaking a bit so I replaced it, it wasn't actually dripping, but a little oil goes a long way when the wind spreads it...

To change it, remove the sprocket, drill 2 small holes into the seal, put 2 screws into the holes, pry it out... From memory I grabbed the 2 screws with a pair of pliers on each, then just pulled it out...

:)

Edit:
The same method is detailed here:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CounterShaftSealFAQ.htm

FLICKIT screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 04:00 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #2622
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
heads up...

There's a big tank for a late model Dominator on ebay Australia at the moment ;)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayIS...m=281043299942

(I have no connection to the seller)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #2623
rabbitears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
The counter shaft seal is cheap and easy to replace...The same method is detailed here:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CounterShaftSealFAQ.htm
That's good news! Thanks for the advice and the welcome, Flickit.
rabbitears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #2624
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 120
Nx650 dominator for sale in San Diego

Hi guys. I'm selling my nx650, it's totally loaded with all the cool options. If you know anybody that can't live without one then send then my way. And yes, that is the elusive acerbis 6 gallon tank! Lol

Ryan

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3507092461.html

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #2625
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
Hi guys. I'm selling my nx650, it's totally loaded with all the cool options. If you know anybody that can't live without one then send then my way. And yes, that is the elusive acerbis 6 gallon tank! Lol

Ryan

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3507092461.html

I saw in the ad that you had the original gas tank as well. Would you be willing to sell it separately?
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote