User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #2626
equator
Where's the U turn?

Oddometer: 10
Shock linkage bearings

Hi folks, anyone knows where to get a bearings and seals kit for the shock linkage (other than the originals) ? Thanks.
equator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #2627
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
iii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post
Snap! Same colors Pasoren!
Bought mine as a sorry state, getting her back on the raod and hopefully off road soon!
I have a few small bits to finish and brand new crash bars to fit.

what part of ireland are you from and were you at the paddy dakar?
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #2628
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Sounds like it is. The different Domis had different carb settings and jets. And the symptoms you are describing sound very much like air leaking, make sure that especially the carb insulator is without cracks.

And I take it that the swapped engine is also from a Domi, one from a SLR650 or FMX650 will not work because of different pulser bosses
can you explain what you mean by pulser bosses.this is very interesting as i thought nx,slr and fmx were very similar.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2629
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
boss pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor4play View Post
can you explain what you mean by pulser bosses.this is very interesting as i thought nx,slr and fmx were very similar.
They are actually almost identical except for the ignition. The boss pulsar I meant is part nr 14 on this image.

In the Dommie /XR650L (bottom left) it has a single finger, whereas the SLR650, FX650 and FMX650 got multiple fingers (bottom right) as far as I know for taking the position of the throttle into account

So in order to use a SLR650 engine in a Dommie you have to switch the boss pulsars, too. Im just about to try this, since by now its getting really hard to get a good Dommie engine with low mileage. And another good reason: the FMX already got the big oil pump
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #2630
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

///

Quote:
They are actually almost identical except for the ignition. The boss pulsar I meant is part nr 14 on this image.

In the Dommie /XR650L (bottom left) it has a single finger, whereas the SLR650, FX650 and FMX650 got multiple fingers (bottom right) as far as I know for taking the position of the throttle into account

So in order to use a SLR650 engine in a Dommie you have to switch the boss pulsars, too. Im just about to try this, since by now its getting really hard to get a good Dommie engine with low mileage. And another good reason: the FMX already got the big oil pump
yea i see what you mean.looks like a straight forward swap.let us know how you get on and thanks for the quick reply.
i forgot to ask about the clutch cover as i am installing a kickstarter and the r/h casings from the kickstart bikes will not fit because of the larger oil pump.
do you have any ideas to solve this issue?

tractor4play screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 10:12 AM Reason: forgot
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #2631
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
big pump conversion

Quote:
yea i see what you mean.looks like a straight forward swap.let us know how you get on and thanks for the quick reply.
i forgot to ask about the clutch cover as i am installing a kickstarter and the r/h casings from the kickstart bikes will not fit because of the larger oil pump.
do you have any ideas to solve this issue?
Not me, but some guy from our German XR forum had an idea . The middle part of the pump is 4mm thicker (since the rotor is 4mm thicker, too), so the part of the pump that bears the aluminum orifice has to be grinded off. The orifice itself has to be shortened and you have to use the oil pipe of the older models which runs behind the oil pump gear. Needless to say, working on an area crucial for the oil supply requires high precision work. Which Im not able to, so I never tried this.

Bytheway, in case you are trying to put a kick starter into a formerly kickstartless engine the main shaft is different and has to be swapped, too, if I remember it correctly.
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #2632
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,059
Quote:

Bytheway, in case you are trying to put a kick starter into a formerly kickstartless engine the main shaft is different and has to be swapped, too, if I remember it correctly.

Not the main shaft but the counter shaft. The clutch side end of the XR600 shaft is machined to accept the kicker intermediate gear that interfaces with the clutch basket. As seen on this XR650l shaft:

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #2633
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:

I think I should recognize this pic

Is you NX running now with the FMX engine?
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2634
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

///

Quote:
Not me, but some guy from our German XR forum had an idea . The middle part of the pump is 4mm thicker (since the rotor is 4mm thicker, too), so the part of the pump that bears the aluminum orifice has to be grinded off. The orifice itself has to be shortened and you have to use the oil pipe of the older models which runs behind the oil pump gear. Needless to say, working on an area crucial for the oil supply requires high precision work. Which Im not able to, so I never tried this.

yea ill hopefully have a countershaft from an xr 600 by the end of next week.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #2635
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom81 View Post
I was thinking more like fitting an CRF450 USD fork, and an adjustable Wilbers rear shock :-) And perhaps som other mods.
i would avoid the crf forks unless you plan to be riding constantly at 100% (racing)
its difficult to set crf forks for road riding in other words your arms will be shaken from your shoulders.very annoying.
the crf fork upgrade seems to be done by many for the look cool factor in my opinion.
if your serious about function go for xr650r forks.loads of adjustment and superb off road.also very comfortable on road.
goodluck.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #2636
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Took a ride today out to Robert Moses Park to see if it has been reopened yet since Hurricane Sandy. Everything is still under construction, so it must have been hit pretty hard. The weather has been above 40 degrees the past few days so I'm trying to put on some miles before it gets very cold again.

Photobucket
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #2637
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
Took a ride today out to Robert Moses Park to see if it has been reopened yet since Hurricane Sandy. Everything is still under construction, so it must have been hit pretty hard. The weather has been above 40 degrees the past few days so I'm trying to put on some miles before it gets very cold again.
Bike looks good, Honda build quality in the 80-90s was top notch.
Too many potholes here from heavy rain to ride now.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #2638
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I definitely miss my CBR900RR, but I can honestly say this is my favorite bike. I really think Honda hit their peak of quality and value in the 80's. I originally was looking for a XL600R when I stumbled across the NX, and I'm so glad I bought it.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #2639
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
i would avoid the crf forks unless you plan to be riding constantly at 100% (racing)
its difficult to set crf forks for road riding in other words your arms will be shaken from your shoulders.very annoying.
the crf fork upgrade seems to be done by many for the look cool factor in my opinion.
if your serious about function go for xr650r forks.loads of adjustment and superb off road.also very comfortable on road.
goodluck.
Smart man here. Full agreement.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #2640
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
what part of ireland are you from and were you at the paddy dakar?
From Kildare, no I haven't been to the paddy Dakar before.
The reason I bought the dominator was to do that event so hopefully will get a chance this year.
Was onto Paddy and he reckons it will be held on the 21st of September this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I agree with you about the build quality Bounder, but not about the weather and potholes!
I drive a blackbird mostly but I handles the potholes fine and the dominator makes you aim for them!
It very mild this year, I'm getting more miles in than usual!
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote