Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #2836
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
That is the correct numbers for the us bikes. Looking through older catalogs it is also is the first year they have listed it in their catalog. Emailing them now. I'll let you know
Did you get any information back about these tanks? I have one for the bike I'm building but I sure would like to have another for the next bike.
1987 Honda XL600r
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #2837
slowhatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
Did you get any information back about these tanks? I have one for the bike I'm building but I sure would like to have another for the next bike.

No, I've sent emails but no response. I may need to find an acerbis dealer to contact. I'll wait another day or so and see what happens
slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2838
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Yes, I am running a 525 chain, I had a new DID and it works fine.

You can see the clearance behind the lock plate as it shoulders against the cog offset. Note the washers behind the screws to keep the plate from bending. The oem Honda cog has a machined area that matches the shape of the locking plate which prevents the plate from bending. The OEM sprocket is a far better design but you take what you can get now that they are discontinued.

I finally had the time to pull off the front sprocket and investigate today. I noticed that you have mounted your sprocket with the "JT" logo facing outwards. I had mounted mine the other way, with the logo facing inwards. This allowed me to tighten the clip flush against the sprocket, without the need for washers. I have the washers ready and can flip the sprocket around, or should I just leave it how it is?
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2839
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I had placed an order from cmsnl.com over in Europe for the panels in the "Astro Blue Metallic" original US color. I also had them throw in a front sprocket just for comparison to my current JT one. From the look and feel they are the exact same sprocket. But I measured the inside of the sprocket, and the OEM one is definitely thicker than the JT. Since I happen to have it apart, I'll put the OEM sprocket on. But I still would like to know if my turning the JT sprocket around, are any problems of countershaft wear averted?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #2840
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, you're running a different wheel. I really should start paying attention.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #2841
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Boano Fairing Available

G'day Guys,

Just came across this while looking at the Boano site.
Apologies if this was already known.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #2842
adkfreeridex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hey guys I finally got around into diving into my bike to figure out the low mileage issues and poor performance at higher altitude. First, someone regeared it to 13/45. I brought it back to stock (15/45). I pulled the carb and cleaned it, although it was not very dirty. It still has stock jetting (48/155). However I still get 33-35 mpg, and performance going from 5500-8500 is worse (obviously from regear, but still not good when when im climbing. when I get on the gas at lower altitudes it sometimes hesitates with a jerk at greater than 80% throttle in higher gears. It also wont maintain power at rpms lower than 5000 starting at ~6500'. Ive been reading that the bikes are jetted lean, so Im not sure if jetting is my problem here. Also the bike has dual marving exhausts, not stock, so Im not sure if this is affecting the performance. I dont care much about power, but would like better fuel efficiency and a smoother ride at altitude. It is an '88 with 18000k. what should I try next?
adkfreeridex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #2843
slowhatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
No, I've sent emails but no response. I may need to find an acerbis dealer to contact. I'll wait another day or so and see what happens

Finally got information about the tanks. They list in in their catalog but the tanks are still discontinued with no plans to make any. Back to watching for a used one.
slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #2844
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
After it was mentioned Dominator Acerbis tanks were in the catalog again I searched around a found an Aussie dealer listing the 1992-94 ones in stock for $349:
http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index...s/product/1516

and 1995-06:
http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index...s/product/1517

Not much good for the international people though...
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #2845
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfreeridex View Post
Hey guys I finally got around into diving into my bike to figure out the low mileage issues and poor performance at higher altitude. First, someone regeared it to 13/45. I brought it back to stock (15/45). I pulled the carb and cleaned it, although it was not very dirty. It still has stock jetting (48/155). However I still get 33-35 mpg, and performance going from 5500-8500 is worse (obviously from regear, but still not good when when im climbing. when I get on the gas at lower altitudes it sometimes hesitates with a jerk at greater than 80% throttle in higher gears. It also wont maintain power at rpms lower than 5000 starting at ~6500'. Ive been reading that the bikes are jetted lean, so Im not sure if jetting is my problem here. Also the bike has dual marving exhausts, not stock, so Im not sure if this is affecting the performance. I dont care much about power, but would like better fuel efficiency and a smoother ride at altitude. It is an '88 with 18000k. what should I try next?
Have you tried the Carb mods suggested here
Mine stumbled a bit before but after doing the mods it runs a lot smoother. Altitude jetting I can't help with not many places over 300m here!
Try looking for jetting specs for the XR650L for high altitude.

Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #2846
Pasoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Mine stumbled a bit before but after doing the mods it runs a lot smoother. Altitude jetting I can't help with not many places over 300m here!
Any experience with Dave's mods on stock exhaust/air filter? I have read it may not have any effect on stock systems.
Pasoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #2847
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoren View Post
Any experience with Dave's mods on stock exhaust/air filter? I have read it may not have any effect on stock systems.
No idea, Mine came with a Supertrapp and I fitted a BMC filter.
I also had a California model Carb on mine which I changed for a German market carb and I have removed the top of the airbox snorkel.
I see at the bottom of that page they say that the mods might make it run worse with stock airfilter and exhaust.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #2848
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
I may be selling a Acerbis NX tank soon, pm me if interested in details.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #2849
adkfreeridex
Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I have not modified my carb yet. Reason being, if bike is stock jetted lean(at sea level), and after market mufflers are on (which should lean it out further), and I'm at 5000' I still might be a hair lean, but problems should dissipate by climbing through to 8500'. Creating a richer mixture which is what the mod will do, would only make thinks worse up high. I think. My bike feels like it has plenty power at 5000'. But the 35mpg(at best) seems 10-15 low. This is the only motorcycle if ridden besides a gs1200r, so I don't have anything to go by in terms of power. It won't wheelie, not sure a properly tuned one can, but if that's an indicator I hope it helps. I'm inclined to try Dave's mods, but don't want to permanently alter anything if I don't have to. Thanks!

Forgot to add that someone before me Desmogged it but left oil separator on

adkfreeridex screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 05:41 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #2850
adkfreeridex
Adventurer

here are two pics of the plug (one with flash and one without), i tried to compare them with photos of plugs on the internet and my conclusion is that im running lean, can anyone confirm this? however, If i am running lean, why does my problem get worse with altitude?