Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #2911
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocox View Post
Figured I would ask the experts, as I'm too lazy to search. Are the sprockets on my 1988 NX 650 the same as an XR? Trying to order a set from rockymountain.com and want to confirm. Replacing the original set, so I guess 25 years for set of sprockets and a chain isn't too bad.

Oh, and Rex, that newer Dominator is Awesome! Where are you?

I just replaced my original chain and sprockets. The driveshaft sprocket is different between the years 88' and 89', so be sure to order the original for the 88'.
Many riders have said that using the aftermarket JT sprocket commonly available will prematurely wear the shaft, because the sprocket is thinner than the OEM. I ordered OEM sprockets from cmsnl.com in Europe. They're expensive, but they're OEM. They also seem to last forever.

Also, I recommend using partzilla.com. The cheapest website I've ever found for OEM parts.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #2912
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone know if the front brake master cylinder from the 650L will fit my 88 NX?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #2913
jrozar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
It should check the part numbers in the IPB
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #2914
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 566
Its the same size disc and the general setup is the same so I think it will fit.
I think its a 13mm piston dia
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #2915
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

At one point brake fluid must have spilled on the outside of the master cylinder of my bike, because the paint is very corroded and it looks terrible. I figured it would be easier to just buy a 650L part than remove, clean, and repaint my old part. They look like they might be a bit diferent.

NX:
 photo 0400_zpsbf340f54.png

650L:
 photo 0500_zps5a70b9a2.png
Old 05-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #2916
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
At one point brake fluid must have spilled on the outside of the master cylinder of my bike, because the paint is very corroded and it looks terrible. I figured it would be easier to just buy a 650L part than remove, clean, and repaint my old part. They look like they might be a bit diferent.

The hoses are different, the NX uses the straight connector to the M/C and the XR uses a hollow banjo bolt.
You might need to change the hose.
The NX has a funny setup from the M/C to a metal block and pipe across to the other leg and then a hose down.
All you need is the short hose from M/C to the Block or more easily a full XR 650L hose.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #2917
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
The hoses are different, the NX uses the straight connector to the M/C and the XR uses a hollow banjo bolt.
You might need to change the hose.
The NX has a funny setup from the M/C to a metal block and pipe across to the other leg and then a hose down.
All you need is the short hose from M/C to the Block or more easily a full XR 650L hose.

I believe the brake rotors are basically the same, but the calipers are different?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #2918
Captain Yesterday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
88 nx650 issues

Need some help. I've got the weirdest issue with my 88 nx650. The idle is all over the place when cold. It starts fine, let it warm up for a minute or two pull the choke in (off) and give it some gas and let revs drop down to idle, then it just dies a second or two after that. It does that all the time when cold when coming to a stop light or stop sign and the idle wanders a couple 100 rpm when warm but doesn't die when at idle. I've rebuilt the carb twice and the cdi is brand new. And the idle is set at 1500 rpm Any suggestions?
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #2919
drmracni
Montenegro

Oddometer: 274
Just to sign in with my Dominator, its 1993 RD02, so far, so good, there are lots of dirty roads to be done :)

Honda Dominator
- https://www.facebook.com/niksicadventure
-Montenegro ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614
drmracni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #2920
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
I believe the brake rotors are basically the same, but the calipers are different?
Correct the calipers are different and have different mounts.
The XR650L bolt holes are closer together.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #2921
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmracni View Post
Just to sign in with my Dominator, its 1993 RD02, so far, so good, there are lots of dirty roads to be done :)

Very nice! Are those pictures taken at Debrovnik? Close to hotel Lapad?
You have good weather over there and fantastic roads for the dominator.
Nice beer too!
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #2922
drmracni
Montenegro

Oddometer: 274
Thank you very much!
You were near, im in Montenegro, and this picture is from Tivat http://www.portomontenegro.com/

And Niksicko pivo is also very good

the weather is very good, but i would love to switch houses with you for an one yer, just to explore Ireland

Honda Dominator
- https://www.facebook.com/niksicadventure
-Montenegro ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614

drmracni screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 07:26 AM
drmracni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #2923
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
I don't think there is a better platform than the NX650 for this type riding. The mechanicals are excellent, durable and basically still current with the 650L still in production. And nothing matches the timeless style. I have a totally original '88 with barely 7000 miles I have decided to keep. Was going to sell but you guys have convinced me otherwise.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #2924
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I don't think there is a better platform than the NX650 for this type riding. The mechanicals are excellent, durable and basically still current with the 650L still in production. And nothing matches the timeless style. I have a totally original '88 with barely 7000 miles I have decided to keep. Was going to sell but you guys have convinced me otherwise.
You have articulated what many people here have said, for general use these bikes are hard to beat.
In many ways they were way before their time. Lots of inmates have said that they regretted selling their NX650.
Not fast compared to modern engines like the KTM but less maintenance intensive and because they are simple are easy to work on and maintain.
I am in the process of upgrading mine with a 320mm front brake a new dash (Koso DB02R) and an upgraded electrical system with a 350w stator and a Mosfet reg/rec.
This should bring the bike up to all the spec I need.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #2925
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Does anyone know if the front brake master cylinder from the 650L will fit my 88 NX?
Yes, it will fit, but pulling the brake lever will be harder in order to get the same brake power. The reason is that the diameter of the Xr master cylinder is larger. The NX650 cylinder (and the NX250) got 11mm (see below). The Xr650 master cylinder has 1/2 inch (12,7mm). And the brake caliper of the XR650 is not identical with the one from the Dominator - its from the XR600.

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote