User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
GeNX
88' NX250

Oddometer: 60
Size of Cowl

Does anyone know if the size of the Cowl on the NX650 and the NX250 where the same? I am looking for a windscreen for my NX250 Baby Domi and I can only find them for the 650 Domi's

-B
GeNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I have a 1988 NX650, nicely farkled I might add. I do like it quiet a bit. I would agree being a dual sport if is good at almost everything and great at none. I think that "Merle O'Broham" described it best. I tried the taller home made screen for a while and it did help, but not as much as I would have liked, so I am back to stock. You do have to hang on a bit at freeway speeds. In cross winds on the freeway, it is a little un-nerveing, but I would assume any middleweight (640A, KLR, F650GS) would have similar problems with getting moved around a bit. I call it my perfect 50mph bike as up to that speed, I think it is FANTASTIC. Off road it is a touch heavy and I too have bottoming issues over big jumps. A new rear spring properly sprung could fix that problem though. After all, the US versions are almost 20 years old and the springs should be a little tired by now.

If you can pick one up around the $2K range, I would encourage anyone to do so, they are good little ride and very well put together.

A little history for those that do not know. In the US they only sold the NX650 for 2 years 88 & 89. To my knowlege there was no 650 dualsport offering from honda from 90 through 92 they came back with the more offroad orentated XR650L in 93. They did have the much loved Transalp during that void 89-92 (i think) but that was a 600 twin.

Oh and the Acerbis 22L tank upgrade, Yeah that is a big plus, now over 200Miles on a tank!

Hope this has helped
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
cycloborg
shake it up

Oddometer: 1
'92 Dommie in Romania

Hi everybody!
I own a black '92 Dommie since Feb. this year.
Got it from Germany in a pristine state, with 30k km.
Now it has 40k km and it's running perfectly.
Changed the standard spark plug with an Iridium one - the engine starts instantly in the morning, below 10 deg C. It can idle at lower rpm.
Changed the stock 47 teeth sprocket with a 44 - the machine runs a lot nicer on road. I don't have to change gears so often in town. Haven't checked the max speed yet. I can still do wheelies in the first gear using only the throttle.
Installed Ferrodo sintered brake pads - they squeal like hell when braking, but work fine. Seem to wear out rapidly.
Got heated grips - they're magnificent in cold weather.
The bike eats oil only when kept running for long time at hingk rpm, or after 2500 km since the last oil change. I use semi synth.
Fuel consumption - 95 petrol: ~4l/100km at 100km/h with the standard sprocket, girl and bags in the back. When using 99 grade petrol, the fuel consumption raises by 1l/100km. The engine performance doesn't seem to improve. At higher speeds, the consumption raises badly (6-7). It took 9l/100km in town wiht the 99 gas.
All parts can be ordered at the local parts shops, but they're very expensive.
There are lots o'Dommies here, in Ro, either form Germany or from Italy, where they used to be very popular.
cycloborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 AM   #19
maxriptide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I've got a 1990 Dommie, I use it for commuting since I bought an Africa Twin one and half year ago.
Mine has about 103000Km on the clock and never had a problem.
By now, clutch (still the original one) has to be changed and oil consumption is two-stroke like

here's some pictures:

Max

HONDA XRV750 Africa Twin
HONDA NX650 Dominator
maxriptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Nice glad to see you are enjoying the bike. It is a pretty good all rounder.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Hallo
Iīm new in this fantastic community and I own a Dominator since April.Itīs an early 96ī,from France ,bought with 26k km,now 36k.We have done Austria-Slovenia and Eastgermany-Czech republic this Summer.
She makeīs a lot of fun and nice sound...
Pic is on the way.

Greetings from Blackforest, Michael J.

...and winter

MikJogg screwed with this post 10-06-2007 at 04:52 AM
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
Harsh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I almost bought a NX 250 back in 88 or 89. The thing that stopped me was it was priced exceptionally higher than other dual purpose bikes (I didn't understand why back then). If I remember right there was a television series that came out in this time-frame and the star rode an NX.
Harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #23
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikJogg
Hallo
Iīm new in this fantastic community and I own a Dominator since April.Itīs a early 96ī,from France ,bought with 26k km,now 36k.We have done Austria-Slovenia and Eastgermany-Czech repuplic this Summer.
She makes a lot of fun and nice sound...

Greetings,Michael

Hallo Domichel!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #24
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefDommiRider
I am up to nearly 50 000 kms on mine so nearly 10k of them mine :) I hope to keep it for a while yet , and then upgrade , but I have no idea what I'd upgrade to.
Some ideas:
  1. The New 660 Tenere; look at the thread. Maybe available were you live
  2. BMW 650 Dakkar
  3. KTM 950SE or 640A or the new 690Adv (if you can wait a while, have money and it becomes a reality): KTM is more racing oriented, so engine is not as long lasting as your bike (requires more maintenance)
  4. KLR650 - same tendency. Proven technology, great value, nothing new.
  5. XL650 – can’t say much. It’s a Honda, but obsolete technology.
Plenty more.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Thanks for all the posts , it's great to hear about other happy Dommi owners

I have been looking around and I've have vowed to never get rid of the Dommi , even if I get a new bike I'll keep him in the shed. ( funds permitting I guess)
I'm in the process of getting some new Acerbis hand guards and will get some more nobby/aggressive tyres next change.
If I have the money when it comes out, the New 660 Tenere would be my pick , have to see some reviews when they are actually out there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
Some ideas:
  1. The New 660 Tenere; look at the thread. Maybe available were you live
  2. BMW 650 Dakkar
  3. KTM 950SE or 640A or the new 690Adv (if you can wait a while, have money and it becomes a reality): KTM is more racing oriented, so engine is not as long lasting as your bike (requires more maintenance)
  4. KLR650 - same tendency. Proven technology, great value, nothing new.
  5. XL650 – can’t say much. It’s a Honda, but obsolete technology.
Plenty more.
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #26
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
I have one also, first year 88.

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #27
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Ok,I try again: Pic from slovenia

Hallo Flood
Attached Images

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #28
OBR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Hello fellow Dommie riders,

I purchased 98 Dommie with about 18K on the clock, now has 26K.

Mods Include:
Acerbis 22L tank
Braided brake lines
Staintune pipe
Windscreen
2 x 12V power outlets
Handguards
GPS

I recenlty completed a 7K trip through outback OZ with about half that off road. The bike was fully loaded and never missed a beat. I did one oil change and ran the spanners over it once. Great bike.

Heres some pics
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #29
OBR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
One more
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,892
NX650 = Dominator

For all you folks outside the USA, they only sold the NX650 and the NX250 in the US from 88-90. I have had 1 NX650 and 3 NX250's and loved them.

The NX650 really doesn't compare to any other bike that I have owned. It is more dirt oriented. Mine never got great gas mileage, around 45mpg. It was reliable and I wish I still had it. It is an under rated bike that seems to have changed very little over the years. You guys who can still buy a Dominator are fortunate.

Attached is a photo of my brothers current 1989 NX650 and one of my 1989 Transalps in the background.

mas335 screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 04:52 PM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote