Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Willadams1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Changing tyres at home!

Hi!
I have a WR250R which I want to change the tyres on to something more road orientated!
I have ordered a pair of heideneu k60's. Should I attempt to change them myself? I have watched YouTube vids on people changing motocross tyres, but these heidenau's seem to have fairly stiff walls which might make it quite difficult!
How difficult will it be? Should I just take them to a garage?!
Many thanks,
Will
Willadams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 154
Changing Tires

If you're not a skilled mechanic, don't have a changer, or specialized tools take them to a dealer. It's no fun paying as much for the change as the tire, but it beats busted knuckles.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,925
Try it yourself.

Just make sure when you are putting them on, that the tire on the opposite side you are working on stays in the centre of the rim and does not seat.

Leave them in the sun to warm up and use plenty of lube, If you are having a hard time getting them on, walk away take a break and come back to it.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Willadams1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I fix aircraft for a living so i don't think i lack the hand skills! Its just sometimes things like this can be the most trying!
Does anyone know of a good newbie guide? Need to get myself a set of tyre levers for now!
Willadams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
darren70
Go the Rat

Oddometer: 45
Do it at home mate. Jump around the tyre to pop the bead then put it sprocket down, valve opposite, you kneel on the tyre closes to you to put the bead in the centre of the rim then start at the opposite side to you and work your way around in small bites. Put the new ones on with baby powder inside and hand soap or similar on the bead. About 10 min a wheel is a lazy time and its good practice for when your out.
Hope that helps
darren70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,091
A YouTube video is nice but, it can't compare to hands on training.

Head upstairs to regionals and find some riders in your area. See if someone is holding a tech day or, if someone is going to change their own tires and ask if you could you come over to watch and learn. Maybe get some hands on.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
There have been a bunch of good threads here and I'm able to mount all my own MC tires (tube and tubeless) fairly easily now thanks to what I learned...some things I picked up from them are-

get some REAL tire lube, Ruglyde from Napa is good and works much better than dishwashing soap, etc IME
if possible make (or buy) some sort of workstand to hold the wheel, the job is way easier with the wheel secured and at waist level (also a bead breaker if you eventually tackle tubeless tires)
try using heavy duty zip ties, tire mounting is MUCH easier and it is nearly impossible to pinch a tube that way (the tube is inflated just enough to round it out and put in the tire before the zip ties are used to force the beads together)
clean the mounting lube from the tire thoroughly after mounting to avoid a crash and take it easy until the tires are scuffed in a bit, new tires can sometimes be very slippery

victor441 screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 03:36 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Try it yourself.

Just make sure when you are putting them on, that the tire on the opposite side you are working on stays in the centre of the rim and does not seat.

Leave them in the sun to warm up and use plenty of lube, If you are having a hard time getting them on, walk away take a break and come back to it.
+1

All you lack is a bead breaker and these...

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle...o_tire_spoons/

Good luck.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willadams1 View Post
Hi!
I have a WR250R which I want to change the tyres on to something more road orientated!
I have ordered a pair of heideneu k60's. Should I attempt to change them myself? I have watched YouTube vids on people changing motocross tyres, but these heidenau's seem to have fairly stiff walls which might make it quite difficult!
How difficult will it be? Should I just take them to a garage?!
Many thanks,
Will
if you can't change out a tire at home .. how are you going to fix a flat tire on the trail?

use this as an excuse to learn how to change out your own tires.
lots of how to change out tire threads on adv .. most important too to have is ... tire lube .. use real tire lube.

stay away from spoons your first outing .. to avoid pinch flats .. slightly inflate tube. most importantly know where tip of tire iron is at all times. never pry lever over rim any more than absolutely necessary.

soon as tire tool pushes bead goes over edge of rim .. STOP.. going further increases chance of pinch flat
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,679
I need an A&P/IA, I'll change your tires and you keep my airplane legal? Deal?

Seriously, I actually enjoy changing tires now. Lots of different ways to do it without damaging your rims and pinching tubes, or tearing tubeless tires. If you're sweating and swearing you're likely doing it wrong. It takes finesse and technique, not brute strength. I'm always happy to help peeps when they start. I'm in SW Florida, come on by if you're in the 'hood.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Just changed tires to the K60 today.
I've heard what a bear they are to install.
I have to say they were the easiest I've ever installed and went on quickly with minimal balancing required.

I use a harbor freight bead breaker (the big yellow one), Motion Pro tire irons, RUGlyde and an air compressor ( a real one, not a 12v) and all in it took about 45m including balancing and cleanup.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
There have been a bunch of good threads here and I'm able to mount all my own MC tires (tube and tubeless) fairly easily now thanks to what I learned...some things I picked up from them are-

get some REAL tire lube, Ruglyde from Napa is good and works much better than dishwashing soap, etc IME
if possible make (or buy) some sort of workstand to hold the wheel, the job is way easier with the wheel secured and at waist level (also a bead breaker if you eventually tackle tubeless tires)
try using heavy duty zip ties, tire mounting is MUCH easier and it is nearly impossible to pinch a tube that way (the tube is inflated just enough to round it out and put in the tire before the zip ties are used to force the beads together)
clean the mounting lube from the tire thoroughly after mounting to avoid a crash and take it easy until the tires are scuffed in a bit, new tires can sometimes be very slippery

Great idea with the tie wraps....
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 843
I recommend getting a bicycle (as in a two wheel pedal type) wheel and remove and replace the tire (tyre). The principles are identical to removing/replacing a motorcycle tyre (or car tire for that matter) but the forces are much less. Once you can remove and replace the bicycle tire by hand without using irons, then you have the correct technique.

Alternately, reason through the process and understand that the tire rim is too large to fit over the wheel rim. This can be readily checked by measuring them. How is the paradox solved? By moving the tire rim out of plane and into a recess built into the wheel center. Only by taking advantage of this feature can the tire be mounted on the wheel.

Some lubricant is still needed for a motorcycle tire along with (short) tire irons and rim protectors. Removing and replacing tires is all about technique, much like tying a knot, and understanding the principles (i.e. theory) will prevent damaging the wheel or installer. Getting the tire warm is also helpful, using lubricant is generally needed, and finding a way to keep the tire rim in the wheel recess is required.

As mentioned initially, changing a bicycle tire by hand without irons applies and reinforces the required technique. Perhaps its a bad analogy, but I associated changing a tire with tying a knot - in that sometimes it helps to refresh and practice the technique. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,463
it's well worth spending a few minutes watching this video from No Mar .. please ignore the advertizement factor .. techniques he shows apply to changing all tires .. this includes changing tires using tire levers.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,737
Best Rest offers a tire lube that is phenomenal-- better than Ruglyde IMHO.

Be careful with the optimism engendered by following Stan's suggestion: I have changed countless mountain & road bicycle tires, and I have had more success at finding Higg's Bosons than I have changing moto tires. I am simply atrocious at it, and really disappointed all my previous experience has amounted to so little.

Good luck all the same.

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote