Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #721
kc0stp
Lurker

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
If you have the good fortune of building your own shop (or at least get to spec certain aspects of it) make sure you go with 8' high doors. That extra bit of height is the difference between fitting a bigger truck inside. Remember however that you'll need a different garage door opener or mod kit to account for the greater height. If you're doubly lucky, have matching doors at the front and back of the shop so you can pull larger vehicles straight through.
Personally Ive always been a fan of 12' doors... make sure you have plenty of room to pull that trailer in, otherwise X2
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #722
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
by threading in a grease nipple where the brake line goes in. Pump it full of grease, and it will slowly ease out, as opposed to air pressure, which is far more dangerous. Place a piece of wood between the pistons.

So if I had a brake line plugged with brake fluid that turned to jelly [bike sat for 21 years] I could hook the brake line fitting it to a grease gun and pump it out??? Wish I had known that....
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #723
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 333
Cheapest work lights

Cheap 9-led flashlights, with batteries, are now pretty much disposable. They come in around $1 each, including batteries. Computer hard drives all have rare-earth magnets. Everybody has electrical tape, and bits of wood. So...

Flashlight to wood to magnet, this isn't rocket science here...

And, the result:

They don't get any cheaper... easy to use, and easy enough to make in packs.

FixerDave screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 07:32 PM
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #724
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,662
I've tried those cheapie LED flashlights and they are indeed cheap. Those LED's last about a month then one by one they are out. Unless the cheap circuit board they are on is junk.

Not a bad idea though.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #725
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190

Dont remember if I posted this before. But I have several of these around my bike when doing work. I am in kinda a cramped area so they are attached to the walls. Take off several bolts, etc, stick on magnet. It will be right there when you are ready to reassemble. I dont even take the plastic off them, the smooth surface makes it easier to use. $5 right now at HF.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #726
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Installing grips

Haven't read these all yet, hope no one posted one of my favs. I learned this one doing bicycle maintenance.

When installing handgrips, spray the grip inner surface and the bar liberally with hairspray (aerosol). It'll slide right into place when wet, and then won't go anywhere once dry.

Easiest removal method I've found? WD-40 with little straw - work the straw up under the grip and start hosing with the WD-40. Grip should pop right off.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #727
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Haven't read these all yet, hope no one posted one of my favs. I learned this one doing bicycle maintenance.

When installing handgrips, spray the grip inner surface and the bar liberally with hairspray (aerosol). It'll slide right into place when wet, and then won't go anywhere once dry.

Easiest removal method I've found? WD-40 with little straw - work the straw up under the grip and start hosing with the WD-40. Grip should pop right off.
I use Krylion fast dry enamel to get the grips on, as the paint cures it "holds" the grip in place (and safety wire them later as a security measure), to remove them? Compressed air...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #728
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter2811 View Post
...to remove them? Compressed air...
A knife has always worked well for me to remove grips that I won't be using again.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #729
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
A knife has always worked well for me to remove grips that I won't be using again.
Well, yeah, there's that... I've usually had to reuse.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #730
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Another nice use for a computer hard drive magnet is to use its tiny mounting holes to attach it with miniature screws or pop rivets near the tip of a shop vac nozzle. Makes it super easy to keep the nozzle exactly where you want it and the magnet is strong enough to stay there and easy to reposition (for ferrous projects anyway). Handy portable fume removal as you weld. With the nozzle about four or five inches from the work you draw 100 percent of the fumes and don't disturb the arc shield at all.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #731
Voltar
Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer: 1,633
Speaking of old disk drive magnets....

I stick one to my oil drain plug just because.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #732
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
Tired of breaking bulb filaments? This will fix that. The light on the left is 19w = 75w. Good for shining down on what you're doing. The two on the right are 14w = 60w. I prefer them under a vehicle where the light might be shining in my eyes, they don't make me see spots. I always use cool white (6500k), much brighter than the warm white.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #733
EvoLife
Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer: 877
Although I don't have a picture to go along with it, the best indestructible shop lights I have used were white LED Christmas lights stuffed into an empty one or two liter soda bottle.

They are protected from liquids, extremely durable, and you can just cram them into spaces and they stay in place. They don't get hot and shine light in a million different directions.

"Today I'm younger than I'm ever going to be, and I intend to act like it"
EvoLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #734
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Tired of breaking bulb filaments? This will fix that. The light on the left is 19w = 75w. Good for shining down on what you're doing. The two on the right are 14w = 60w. I prefer them under a vehicle where the light might be shining in my eyes, they don't make me see spots. I always use cool white (6500k), much brighter than the warm white.

The best part is they dont get hot like a standard bulb and burn the crap out of the inside of your bicep or neck when you bump into them in a cramped area!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #735
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Lord Help You if You Break One of Those Curly Fry Lights. EPA disaster zone, better not tell anybody.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote