Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #766
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854

This brings up a tip on taking/posting images here. Compact full featured cameras make photography so automatic that many take no time to get beyond the ultra basic. Witness the flashes all popping off in the stands of any sporting event. Just wasting battery power. At that distance in a well lit arena that little flash is adding nothing useful and the camera owner never thinks to turn it off.

Related to that oversight is that "automatic" does not imply that most other shots won't benefit enormously from additional light. It's the single most effective way for a rank amateur to improve his shot since it's basically just giving the camera an opportunity to dig deeper into it's preprogrammed bag of tricks and do more work for you. Better color and contrast, easier more accurate auto focus, and much faster exposure (stabler imaging for hand held shots).

Most of us have high wattage shop lights around. Just a couple of well placed halogens saturating the subject with light from opposite angles to combat shadows is a HUGE and very easy improvement to any quick auto-setting photo that you're going to paste on a forum or ad in craigslist.

svejkovat screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 09:31 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #767
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,832
I have a labelmaker and record the last oil change and put it near the speedo, put the last rebuild mileage and date on my shock, purchase date of the battery, etc. Also put my blood type, allergy, and ICE info in small letters on the right side of my helmet. They hold up really well but don't leave residue when peeled off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
I use my brother's keyboard stool, which looks the same as yours except it had a nice leather padded top. I wrapped a plastic bag around the leather to keep it from getting damaged./.
I grab old office steno chairs from work and remove the back. Wheels, adjustable height, nice comfy seat, free.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #768
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...em+Description

make excellent bike stands for vintage SHORT TRAVEL dirt bikes. rated at 300 lbs, and about $15.00 at walmart. (available in black - in the furniture section...)

at your local mc store they are $50+
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 11:06 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #769
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by raxelson View Post
I've made a few acoustic guitars, and a trick for applying spray finish to the top without getting it inside the soundhole is to put a balloon slightly inside the guitar and then blow it up until it seals the soundhole. I used the same trick last time I painted a gas tank. Quick and easy with no taping. When you're done, just pop the balloon.
That sir is brilliant!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #770
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
magnetize oil drain bolts on the cheap

Use Neodymium (rare earth) magnets, about 1/2 in in size. I use three of them stacked on all oil drain plugs.

Just ask people at your favorite hardware store where the magnets are.

About $4 for three disks.

Very, very strong magnets for their size. Brittle too.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #771
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_manian View Post
Use Neodymium (rare earth) magnets, about 1/2 in in size. I use three of them stacked on all oil drain plugs.

Just ask people at your favorite hardware store where the magnets are.

About $4 for three disks.

Very, very strong magnets for their size. Brittle too.

Those things can be great fun. I once bought one from American Scientific Surplus and Supply. It was an odd shape, clearly surplus from something. For some reason I decided that the thing to do was to hold it up about 6" from the head of my hammer and let it smack into the face of the hammer. It literally threw off sparks, fortunately no metal chips. On go the safety glasses. The next time, it shattered. I stuck the pieces to my largest wrench (a 10" or 12" crescent) and had my son hold it, while I started hanging pretty much the entire contents of my toolbox from it. I still have a picture of that somewhere.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #772
Voltar
Hell on Wheel

Oddometer: 1,624
Most of of have to throw out a hard disk drive from time to time. You should aways destroy these to protect your data. While destroying pull out the 2-4 very strong rare Earth magnets that are inclosed.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #773
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Most of of have to throw out a hard disk drive from time to time. You should aways destroy these to protect your data. While destroying pull out the 2-4 very strong rare Earth magnets that are inclosed.
yup. I added a half dozen of those to my tank bag; it's. A lot more secure now.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #774
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,893
But they're a bitch to get out.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #775
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I've mentioned this handy tool here a couple of times.

Among the "extensions" that comes in handy with it are these

...for instance when separating cases or covers with tough to separate gaskets. The fluted ez-out twists into the unthreaded sections of the bolt holes (with the bolts removed obviously) providing excellent grappling points to ease the cases apart little by little as you alternate holes.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #776
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
But they're a bitch to get out.
Heh. Actually I got mine from work; someone else had already done the work of getting them out
Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #777
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Pull the platters, they make nice a unbreakable mirror for the tool box!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #778
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Advice...

Some excellent advice here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
Melt plastic on a chrome exhaust pipe? Oven cleaner will take it off without damaging the chrome. Also works pretty good to clean gunk out of carbs, but prepare to clean it off very quickly; it eats aluminum given any time.

As you work, stop and put away anything you have to step over or around. Takes much less time and aggravation to do it immediately than to constantly work around it.

been mentioned before, but get a couple cheap 20" box fans and a multi-pack of 20"x20" furnace filters. Duct tape them together, and screw a couple to the ceiling in your shop facing opposite directions. This filters the air and also creates some airflow. It's amazing (to me anyway) how dirty they get.

Every bolt I take out gets either antisieze or locktite upon reinstallation, sometimes both. Remember there are more than just red and blue locktite, green is used to wick into existing connections, and they also have a gel style stick that's easier to work with than the little tubes.

Floor polish applied to scratched up plastics (think dirtbike and ATV) will bring back a remarkable amount of shine and pretty, since it'll fill in lots of the scratches.

A whiteboard is invaluable in every shop, sometimes it's so much easier to draw something than to explain it.

A cheap 2000lb winch bolted to your ceiling makes for a handy crane. They come in both 12v and 120v styles, for the 12v I just use an old car/motorcycle battery and charge it once every month or two. One of the unexpected benefits of this is that it makes loading and unloading heavy stuff/pallets from a truck easy, just back under it, strap on and lift it up, drive out from under it. Lower to the ground. If you put an eye bolt (or place for a removable one) directly under the winch, you can run the cable down to a pulley then use to pull non-running vehicles into the garage.

Find yourself someone involved with large servers. They use Uninterruptable Power Supplies, which eat through batteries fairly often. Those batteries may not be good enough to power a server anymore, but they're great to have laying around a shop (usually 12v 17ah) to provide 12v as needed. They also connect using the super expensive quick disconnects used for winches and other high-amp applications.

Get at least one, maybe two self-retracting air hose assemblies and put them up high so it'll reach everywhere. Do the same with a self-retracting extension cord reel.

Get chunks of old carpet whenever you see it. Cut them into 2'x4' rectangles. Use them whenever you have to lay down under a vehicle. Throw a tarp down first and they become disposable drip absorbers.

Nitrile gloves are available at graingers by the 250 and 500 pack. One pack of 250 lasts me about a year, and makes hand cleanup so much easier. Get the good ones, the cheap ones rip too easily.

Pick up a metrinch set. Seriously, I've almost totally retired my rollaround toolbox full of tools since I got the metrinch set.

If you don't have a small impact gun (shame on you) you can often tease out small screws, nuts, bolts, etc. that are stuck by using a cordless drill set on 'screw' with the clutch set loose. Start it with the clutch set all the way loose, then apply power and start tightening the clutch up. Most screw guns/cordless drills act as small impact guns used this way.

If you're under a car, use jackstands. If you don't have any, get some. If you have some, throw them away and get new ones. Friend's dad died because he worked under a vehicle with the stock jack only. Also, once you get it on the jackstands rack the vehicle as hard as you can to make sure it's secure.

If you get the joy of building your own shop:
Insulate and rock it. My barn used to get to 120*+ in the summer before I insulated it. Now it stays pretty comfy, and it would have been a billion times cheaper and easier to install when it was built. Plus sheetrock is fireproof (resistant, whatever)
Add too many lights.
Run one circuit of outlets above the workbench, run a separate circuit below.
Run one 120v circuit to a central location that has only one outlet on it. This is your go-to for heavy draw tools and small welders (seriously, the little 110v welders and plasma cutters don't do too bad as long as they get a good solid 20a)
Figure out where your air compressor will be, then run it's own 220v circuit there. If your compressor isn't 220v yet, just wire the outlet as a pair of 110v circuits for now.
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #779
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Platters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAS View Post
Pull the platters, they make nice a unbreakable mirror for the tool box!
You can also use them as a kickstand pad for soft ground.
Optionally, with a hole drilled close to the edge, add a piece of string to loop around the handlebar as a reminder.
(Also handy in really sloppy stuff so you don't have to get all teetery picking it up.)

Note: I've also had the occasion to find two of these that were made of glass!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #780
Voltar
Hell on Wheel

Oddometer: 1,624
Well, not bike related I don't guess but with all this disk drive talk..... Here is what I did with one earlier this week:

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote