Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Dukeryder OP

Oddometer: 7,398
Official Tire Review Thread

With all the "is this tire good...." threads lately, I thought it'd be a good idea to start one single thread where we could all post reviews on the tires we've actually owned and ridden on in one thread. This thread could serve as a resource for seaching different types of tires. If it doesn't go to hell and stays on track hopefully a Moderator could sticky it at the top of this board.

I'll start with what I've owned.

I ran the Pirelli MT21 (120/80/18) on a Honda XR650L for about 800miles. They were both smoked after that amount of mileage. I ran about 16psi with rim locks and did probably 50% on 50% off with these tires. The worked well in the sand, but did have the front wash out occasionally (from what I gather it's more a characteristic of the BIKE and not the tire), overall I was happy with these tires.

Avon Distanzia (Supermoto compound)
These tires simply kicked ass. I went through my first rear in 5,000 miles and the front lasted me about 8,000 miles. I'd say 95% of that riding was done on Pavement and 5% of Dirt Roads, but they still worked very well on hard pack and even loose silt/sand on top of hard pack. The grip on the street is incredible. I had these mounted on my XR650L on 17" rims running 26psi Front 28psi Rear. I ran a 150 rear tire on a 4.5" rim.

Pirelli MT83 aka Scorpion Pro (DOT approved)
I've run this tire (Front only) on my KX250 and my DRZ400, I run rimlocks on both bikes and on the KX it's aired up to 14psi and I keep it up around 20psi on the DRZ (still run about 50% pavement so the extra PSI keeps the knobs from wearing too quickly). So far on the DRZ I've got about 500miles on it and it's held up great. Hooks up AWESOME in all terrrain that I've ridden, Sand, Rocks, Hard Dirt and even pavement. It's gonna be hard for me to try any other fronts. I have not tried the rear tire yet.

Pirelli MT18HD (DOT Approved in HeavyDuty type only)
I ran the 110/100/18 on the rear of my DRZ again for about 500miles. It's almost shot at that mileage, but I ran a lot of street miles on this tire, it could corner really well, the knobs don't flex, I could ride all the way to the edge of the side knobs on this tire. It worked amazingly well in Mud, Rocks and Hardpack even with street air pressure (26psi)!!! With that much air it was a little squirly on some of the hardpack dirt with roots and rocks, but otherwise a great tire.

Dunlop 756 Rear (NON DOT)
I got this tire in a 110/90/19 for free from a MX shop in RockyHill CT. Great tire, but wears quickly even riding 100% dirt. It worked well for me in Mud, Sand and hard pack dirt roads. It stuck well even climbing over a rock outcrop on a hill.

Pirelli MT16 I have one of these in a 120/90/19 waiting to go on my KX. I will post up results in the future.

I've had some other tires various half worn Dunlops and IRCs but didn't ride them for long before swapping out. As I get different tires I will submit future reviews to this thread.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
What kind of oil do you use?
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Aktulee, I think a solid tire thread would be helpul. Load it up and post your good and bad there/here. At least this way we aren't rehashing a rehash of a...etc.
Same thing with the oil deal. post em all 'here'.

This would also make it easier to find info.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
lightsorce
Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer: 220
Laugh Never Get Tired

I never seem to get tired of whining every chance I get about factory installed tires... I like my D607's though. They stick like glue on pavement compared to a real dualsport tire.
lightsorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
KRAUTER
Riding the forest

Oddometer: 81
Wicked Dunlop D606 on DRZ400S

Hey there!

I ran a couple of Dunlop D606 tires front and rear on my DRZ400S and on a DR650 I had previously.
In my opinion the D606 is the best 50/50 tire currently available. I have ridden it in sand, mud, clay, gravel, just about anything.
It does great even in the sand (with properly adjusted tire pressure to about 12-15psi) Limited grip on clay surfaces.
I have ridden these tires very hard on the street as well. As long the road is dry, tires are heated up and tire pressure is at least at 25psi you can lean the bike over as far as the knoobs go! With the rear wheel power of a stock DR or DR-Z that is...
They lasted me about 2000 to 3000 miles, with excellent performance in the dirt up to 1500 miles.
Here's some proof!

KRAUTER
KRAUTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,081
Edited for bike info-

2001 KLR650

Currently running a Kenda 270 on the rear and a Metzler Karoo 2 on the front. This is a great combo and does well in all conditions so far (street/highway/gravel/mud).

Avon Grripsters-

Wonderful street tires, terrible in loose dirt (Slipsters). On the twisties I never had them complain. These are confidence inspiring.

Kenda 270

Front- I didn't like this tire at all. Aired down it would wash out in sand & loose dirt, on the freeway the bike would want to wander on grooved pavement.

Rear- I like this tire very much. Does well in all conditions if you air them up or down for the riding conditions.

Metzler Karoo 2 - I have one of these on the front of the KLR, and it seems like a great tire. Good in all dirt conditions incl mud, but it sings a bit on the freeway. I can live with that.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo screwed with this post 08-04-2007 at 05:05 PM
Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,258
Great idea, Dukeryder!

Here's what I've tried so far on my DS bikes, my riding is generally about 80% pavement:

Dunlop K750 (OEM on the KLR): great onroad, tolerable offroad, rear lasted ~3K and front ~5K. I really like this tire's handling characteristics but don't like the short lifespan. Won't be purchasing a set of these anytime in the foreseeable future.

Dunlop K850: currently running one of these on the rear of my KLR, got it cheap on ebay. It's got 2500 mi. on it and only has a few hundred miles left. Great 50/50 tire, wish it lasted longer!

Cheng Shin 858: great both on and offroad, VERY short life for the rear, 2300 miles and it was shot. Fronts last much longer @~8K, and they're cheap, so I really like the front but won't be buying another rear 858 due to the quick wear.

Kenda 270: decent both on and offroad, (especially considering the price), much better life on the rear vs. the 858. Got ~4K out of the rear, and sold the bike they were on before I wore the front out, it would've gone at least 8K I'm guessing. Didn't have any problems with "squirelliness" in the front as some have reported. Maybe I just wasn't cornering hard enough.

Kenda 760 Trakmaster: this is the gnarliest DOT tire I've ever run, and of course it was great offroad. Surprisingly tolerable on the street, wore 'em out quick though, ~2K and the rear was shot.

Pirelli MT60: Great both on and offroad, (relatively) long life. ~6K out of a rear and ~10K out of a front. Spendy but ya get what ya pay for in this case.

Bridgestone TW-22: Tried one of these on the rear of my KLR, this is pretty much a street tire IMO. Great grip on the road, thought it would last longer though. Got about 4K out of the rear.

Metzeler Sahara 3: currently running a front on my KLR and love it. I've got about 2K miles on it right now and no signs of wear. I've heard the rears wear quickly on pavement.

Next up: a Duro rear for my KLR. Hoping I can get the 6K-mile lifespan out of it that is commonly reported!

Y'all ride safe now, ya hear?

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
My MT21's on my XR650R were still looking new when I sold her to fellow ADVr... dunno how many miles they would go but were fabulous tires. Had the same on my son's "learner" RT180 and they were still on when we sold... went the entire life of the cycle [its light]

Maxxis 6006 on the rear of my Weestrom, cheeep and good. very good grip in all sorts of nasty stuff, shooting up plumes. a little shrieky on smooth pavement. Still on at about 1600 miles or so, but the center row of knobs looks like its good for MAYbe 500 more if I keep burning it like I have been. If I had properly inflated on slab stretches it would have gone a good bit longer, but at 17lbs it was a bit stressed running 90 on the backroads it also was a very balanced tire, requiring no lead [UNlike the TKC 90 i have]
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Reviewed by whom... that is the question.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
The tire that works for you, on your bike in your terrain, may be shite for me, on my bike in my terrain. Not to mention at which pressure you are using them.

Nice thread, but useless information unless you are willing to create a 3D (4D??) matrix which includes tire size, make of bike, rider level, terrain, tire wear, tire behaviour when halfway worn, etc

You won't succeed in creating the ultimate tire thread.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Thumbs down Kill Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
The tire that works for you, on your bike in your terrain, may be shite for me, on my bike in my terrain. Not to mention at which pressure you are using them.

Nice thread, but useless information unless you are willing to create a 3D (4D??) matrix which includes tire size, make of bike, rider level, terrain, tire wear, tire behaviour when halfway worn, etc

Hater.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,556
re-route this post to PMS anonomous!!!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool

Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,556
Ive been running the Maxis 6006 on my 640adv...... why you may ask, they do the job and there 123.00$ delivered to my door..!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Who did the edit???

Someone replaied "go poop in your hand"............thats fuckin funny!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
XTwarrior
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Maybe a more official format?

Great idea, and going off of Mad Kool's (hater) thoughts...:

MANUFACTURER: Yamaha
MODEL: XT550
WEIGHT: 325 lbs.
TYPE: Dual Sport

For my rear tire: I chose the Dunlop D606 in size 120-90/18. These tires are VERY surprising, especially on the street. When I purchased these tires originally, I thought I was going to do 75% off-road atleast, but my bike has maybe seen 10 miles off-road over a 1,500 mile course with these tires. Off-road, they love to tear up mud. Not an ounce of uneasiness whilst rooster tailing nature's pudding. Loose gravel, small rocks areas, and fine gravel is the same. When it comes to hard pack with sandy surface, or loose pebbles, the rear tends to be a little loose feeling. When it comes to road however, these things surprise. They won't allow me to do burnouts, instead biting the asphalt and propelling my front end skyward. Cornering is confident until you start hitting severe angles, which I hit a few of those today in group rides, but I didn't drop it . Even after a few hard rides, I'd bet they have another 2-3,000 miles in them on pavement (after 1,500 I have them on now), more if I ever find trails again. Overall, this tire has served me very well and at the price of 65$ shipped, It can't be beat for DOT legal and off-road fun

For My front tire: I chose the cheapest tire I could find on DennisKirk.com . I ended up getting a tire called Duro HF903 in Size 90-90/21. The tire has been good to me so far, and shows almost no wear after 1,500 miles. This tire does NOT like mud unlike it's fatter partner in the rear. It does however feel content on every other surface, its favorite so far being pavement. It has not slid once for me on the road, even under emergency braking (but I have drums, they may with Disc brakes). I have yet to even feel slipping during lean. I feel the tire was a steal at 38$ shipped, but it is no Super Moto tire .

Bike overall (to show how tires fit):