Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
I am not sure what you mean by "dirt". Fire road? Any bike is ok on it.
My KTM 640 way better in dirt. Gran Canyon has very little clearance and suspension travel.Very snatchy throttle at low rpm. Heavy. No real engine protection.
I crashed my GC on a street about 4 times, so I don't really care about apearance.
GC is great back road bike. Not a dirt bike.
I had no mechanical issues with my GC. It has about 40k km on it. New clutch, very easy to replace. Valves stay on spec after first couple of adjustments. Oil change every 5k miles. eats rear tires very quickly - 3k miles or less.
No, of course it's not a dirt bike. But it's a very capable adventure touring bike, capable of handling off pavement riding at the discretion and skill of the rider. Mine has seen some reasonably rough stuff but I won't pretend it can hang with a DRZ on single track. It's no LC4 nor LC8 for the mattter. But it will hang with or best most any of the other so called big trailies, Stroms, Tigers, GS, Capos, etc.. And it's waaayyyyy purtier.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #17
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac
But it will hang with or best most any of the other so called big trailies, Stroms, Tigers, GS, Capos, etc.. And it's waaayyyyy purtier.
Agree. It's much better than any of these bikes on a beat up back road.No question about it. 600 miles of windy backroads in a day? No problem.But no dirt , please. This thing eats chains very quickly if any dirt is involved.
Somewhere in Oregon:
Attached Images

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
oggi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
RMac, where did you get that skidplate? no one makes any anymore
oggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
RMac
Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggi
RMac, where did you get that skidplate? no one makes any anymore
I had a local guy who is also a friend fab it for me. Did you try these guys:

http://www.martinfabrication.com/ite...8&PRID=1548083

By the way, what kind of barkbusters are you using, and do they clear the fairing at full lock?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
The only things I didn't like were the stupidly designed tail rack, the plastic tank/shape that made fitting a tank bag an issue, and the lack of an aftermarket for protection pieces. The bike works real well otherwise.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
RMac
Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
The only things I didn't like were the stupidly designed tail rack, the plastic tank/shape that made fitting a tank bag an issue, and the lack of an aftermarket for protection pieces. The bike works real well otherwise.
I had no issue whatever with a tankbag. Off the shelf Marsee, works like a champ.
Agreed the rear rack is useless, I've considered having some kind of a bolt on or replacement fabbed up but $$$$ is a problem.
Aftermarket is a problem also as it they only brought 500 or so of them into North America but then that's also part of their "charm".

Old 08-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
Here's the way to haul your stuff! I have this and a Buell Ulysses. The Uly is the better highway runner, they are real close in the twisties and the GC is better in the dirt. These bikes are such compromises one could say they were designed by a committee! All I know for sure is they are definately fun to ride!

Name:  adv.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  140.6 KB

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #23
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtduck E900
I've got an elefant and grand canyon.
Hey, don't post stuff like that. The cat may be lurking and start wanting one.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #24
flying desmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have owned a couple Elefants, including special rally version by CH Racing. They are what real motorcycles are all about and I regret selling mine. The 2v engine has a perfect balance of low rpm torque and HP. The engine is even better in later models such as the GC. If Ducati/Cagiva built a modern day version of an Elefant with a steel frame, I would buy it.
flying desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #25
oggi OP
Adventurer

hey RMac, I have the Acerbis Multiconcepts with Enduro shields. I have tried a number of barkbusters, and none clear the windshield at full lock with ease. Right now i have the taller mx bars on it, 1.5 inch risers, and have the bars pulled back a bit for running while standing. They hit but when the bike knockes over the windshield no longer pops off.

this is one of the issues I did not want to mention on this thread, its really annoying issue actually, right after the retarded airfilter change proceedure

right now Im just trying to modify a Flatland Racing skidplate for WR450. I was looking at just fabbing it, but I had this laying around and will see if its possible. I also took off my front fender and ran a mx fender mounted to the bottom of my tripleclamp lower, but its just wobbles at any speed above 40, so the stock fender will stay for now.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #26
oggi OP
Adventurer

also Rmac, that pic you posted on the cagiva yahoo group, Diablo's GC - Alvord Desert

that got me taking my cagiva off road a few years back, which lead to my first baja trip, and which lead to the purchase of a Yamaha WR, and now I ride offroad every weekend and any vacation I have

when I first saw that GC in the desert, i thought it was so bad ass
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #27
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Oggi,

Any secret place that you know of to aquire the H-B crash bars that you have on your GC? I see they're not offered on the H-B website....
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #28
RMac
Cheese!

Quote:
also Rmac, that pic you posted on the cagiva yahoo group, Diablo's GC - Alvord Desert

that got me taking my cagiva off road a few years back, which lead to my first baja trip, and which lead to the purchase of a Yamaha WR, and now I ride offroad every weekend and any vacation I have

when I first saw that GC in the desert, i thought it was so bad ass
This one:

here's another from the same trip of him in the background, me and my Triumph Sprint RS Dual Sport in the foreground.

It was riding with him that made me want a Gran Canyon

Old 08-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #29
oggi OP
Adventurer

Rokoneer , i got them at twistedthrottle, this was a few years back so not sure what they have left

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1826/336/

only $190, have paid for themselves already 10x over
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Rokoneer , i got them at twistedthrottle, this was a few years back so not sure what they have left

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1826/336/

only $190, have paid for themselves already 10x over
Thanks for the info Og. I, just yesterday, put a deposit down on a '00 CG and am now in High Speed Overdrive planning out the farklization of it that will start approx. five minutes after I pick it up next Wednesday.

I'm particularly interested in your version of the CG as it appears that you and I prefer to utilize motorcycles to their full potential. I've taken some real Beasts in places many others would fear to tread, and the CG will receive no mercy in being asked to do the same...
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote