ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #61
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
No, 99-00 are the two years they were imported to the states, but the good news is you can find one, usually in good shape for 4500-5500. I think there are some on cycletrader now and always check the yahoo group linked in the above posts.
actually, they did import 3 in 2003 (I think. Maybe 02 or 04). They were tested by a few magazines. My Husqvarna dealer got the thirde one new in the crate 2 or 3 years ago (Cagiva used to own Husqvarna). The body work is a little different and it's all a gorgeous red.

He is a former AA rider and rides it places you wouldn't believe. He's always trying to get me to ride it, but since he can't get another one, I won't do it. Sure wouldn't mind an Elefant though. I'll have to put a pic here some day.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #62
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
No, 99-00 are the two years they were imported to the states, but the good news is you can find one, usually in good shape for 4500-5500. I think there are some on cycletrader now and always check the yahoo group linked in the above posts.
Or buy mine.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #63
Speeddog830
Interloper

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer
I put the TKC-80's on my Gran Canyon last fall and cannot praise them enough. The only semi-issue is that the mud deflector thing-a-ma-jig that is behind the rear tire is very close to the tire on the right side of the TXC and the tire has worn into it a small bit.
Which front did you go with?

I got the 110/80.

The mud deflector is in my 'spares' box, I don't intend to run with it.
Not very partial to the looks and I don't want it to get thrashed.

BTW, how have your wheels held up?
They look a bit delicate to me in regards to off-roading, for a 500 lb bike...

'02 Ducati Monster S4 - Too many mods to list...

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Speeddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #64
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
gran canyon

* Best bumpy back-road motorcycle I've ever owned.
* The worst motorcycle made when it's time to adjust the valves.....just look at the rear exhaust valve and imagine how long it's going to take you to get there.

Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #65
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog830
Which front did you go with?

I got the 110/80.

BTW, how have your wheels held up?
They look a bit delicate to me in regards to off-roading, for a 500 lb bike...
Like you I went with the 110/80, fits perfectly and looks the part. They really perform amazingly well in nearly all conditions.

I have neither had nor heard of any rim strength issues with the GC, and I know that there are riders like myself and oggi who don't hesitate to take the GC places that most wouldn't. That being said I do have to admit that mt GC has never seen more than probably a foot of air between the tires and Mother Earth. I'd imagine that if you drop the GC off a huge table top you're going to destroy the wheels and a bunch of other stuff as well.

The only issue rim wise I have is that the clear coat has started to disappear from about half of the rim. Much like you see on some car's alloy rims the clearcoat just kinds of separates from the rim and soon flakes off. I've considered breaking the rim down and having it re -clear coated but that seems like a major PITA. There is one guy on the Yahoo GC group who had his rear rim replaced completely with an aftermarket rim that is flat across the inner diameter where the spokes enter. The stock GC rim is rounded in this area. I think he had Buchanan's or someome do it and it required all new spokes as well since the distance from the hub to the rim was like 1/4" longer than with the stock rim.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #66
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
*The worst motorcycle made when it's time to adjust the valves.....just look at the rear exhaust valve and imagine how long it's going to take you to get there.
I allow about six hours for that particular experience. I'm about halfway there right now, worked on it a couple hours today as a matter of fact. Even when you do finally get to those rear valves it's still a job best left to people with small hands, like my THREE year old for instance.

I had read somewhere that it's ying and yang as to whether it's easier to remove half the bike to get at the rear valves or to just drop the engine and do the adjustment. Hmmmmmm....
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #67
Speeddog830
Interloper

Quote:
Like you I went with the 110/80, fits perfectly and looks the part. They really perform amazingly well in nearly all conditions.
Thanks, that's good news.

Quote:
I have neither had nor heard of any rim strength issues with the GC, and I know that there are riders like myself and oggi who don't hesitate to take the GC places that most wouldn't. That being said I do have to admit that mt GC has never seen more than probably a foot of air between the tires and Mother Earth. I'd imagine that if you drop the GC off a huge table top you're going to destroy the wheels and a bunch of other stuff as well.
Good to hear this as well.
I'm not planning on big airtime with it, I just don't want to nuke a wheel on a pothole in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
The only issue rim wise I have is that the clear coat has started to disappear from about half of the rim.
----------snip---------
The clearcoat is a bit ragged on mine as well, no doubt due to it's previous life in New Jersey.

IMO, it's not worth re-doing the wheel just for clearcoat.

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #68
oggi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
yeah the GC rims develop hairline cracks where the spokes meet the rim, starting from the hole and working down the face of the rounded nub.

I have had one or 2 of these hairlines for a year or so, and even after the PB500, they didnt change, so I just go on with positive thoughts.

I would love to thread on gs1200 outboard spoke rims on the GC hubs, till I sit down and calculate the cost. I also looked at swapping out the GC fork form a better off-road suited fork, till I sat down and calculated the cost.

This is a bike you can get used for like $3, its hauls on the road, extreamly reliable, can keep up, relativly, with KTM adventures and GS's, and 2v ducati engine parts are dirt cheap on ebay. people that poo-poo it arethe ones that never took it offroad and only make judgements based on spec'c

yeah its a bitch to service in the field if you havent done the proceedures before, but when u are its no worse than any bike.
oggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #69
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
GC Valve Adj.

Quote:
I allow about six hours for that particular experience. I'm about halfway there right now, worked on it a couple hours today as a matter of fact. Even when you do finally get to those rear valves it's still a job best left to people with small hands, like my THREE year old for instance.

I had read somewhere that it's ying and yang as to whether it's easier to remove half the bike to get at the rear valves or to just drop the engine and do the adjustment. Hmmmmmm....
Rokoneer: If you can get the bodywork off the GC and get to the rear ex.valve in three hours, you're fast with a wrench! I loved my GC but never rode it again after getting mine back together after the valve adjust! It was instantly for sale even though it was a better pavement bike than my new HP2.....but I was never going to tackle that job again.....Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #70
Speeddog830
Interloper

Here she is, most of the refurbishment is complete, sans 'skidplate':

Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #71
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 449
Question GC or TDM850

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a different bike to go to Labrador in September. Currently I was prepping my TDM850 and practicing gravel riding next to unused railroad tracks in the area. (on Metzeler lasertech's in course loose gravel).
Would the GC be a much better choice to go to Labrador on ???. Any body know of any wheel conversions for the TDM ??

Gary
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #72
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,310
Quote:

Yet again I am struck by the beauty of the Gran Canyon.
Some day I will own one.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #73
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
A neat thing on the GC is the air scoop front fender to cool the front cylinder. That is a sweet detail I have not seen on any other bike, it is a work of art.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #74
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
A double post.........doh....
And man that GC looks good with TKC's on it, those are my next tires!
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 01-30-2008 at 05:54 PM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #75
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Give Letko a call and get the euro front turn signals for your GC, about $40 if I recall. They really narrow the width of the front of the bike and give it a true stealth mode

I'm about halfway through my aluminum skidplate fabrication as well. After looking at pictures of various plates for hours online I found one that I had laying around the shop ended up fitting really well with just a hint of trimming and filing.