Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #106
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I put highway pegs on mine.

those work too

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #107
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Mine didn't have them. Because of the weight savings, I didn't have to get rid of the stock exhausts. In fact, I have Powercell's originals when mine get beat to shit. They are sturdy as hell. Great bumpers when you crash!
Doc,

No doubt - the OE cans are tough as all hell. I'm going to keep mine for that day I need 'em.

I really couldn't care less about a few lbs weight savings on a 400lb bike, it's the extra space that the single exhaust gives me - I can fit fuel in there - about what one muffler's worth weighs fits in that space nicely. Even if the single pipe costs HP, who cares? There's plenty more ponies behind them

It's not something I need all the time, so I'm setting it up to be detachable.

Amazing how the owners of these bikes love 'em, eh?

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #108
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Remember when "450lb dirt bike" are thrown around, the early "dirt bikes" weighed as much as that or more. They rode them then, you can ride the SE now. It's all about how much fun you have doing it. It's like a modern liter sportbike on the road, sure anyone can putter around on them, very few can push them anywhere near their capabilities.

As long as my RXV550 keeps running I ... will... not.. be... tempted.. by the SE... will...... not....
Busy getting my 990S ready to play in the dirt...

Love the SE pix... I'd love to have a half-dozen KTMs in the garage from little to big, but then I'd need a much bigger garage, time to ride them, and an even more tolerant wife...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #109
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
so are the stock pipes adequate on the SE?? i haven't heard too much much about them. do they get hot as a mofo like the adv stock pipes?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #110
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 506
pipes

the pipes are the same as the ADV pipes but they feel hotter to me . i've heard them described as nuclear reactors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
so are the stock pipes adequate on the SE?? i haven't heard too much much about them. do they get hot as a mofo like the adv stock pipes?

gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #111
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,964
I was gonna start a thread for this but I'll give it a try here. I am considering an SE for dual sporting and The two things of major concern are a BIG windshield (I'm 6'5") and alternator output. I want the bike for winter riding and heated clothing is a must. After riding my 950 SM this summer I just love the light wieght. My GSA 1200 is great and I'd still use it for cross country trips and maybe I'll get to do my Alaska trip next year, but its real heavy and the SE is cool. Maybe some ortlieb side bags and top bag and a nice tan k bag ( the ktm tank bag I got for the SM is nice and it might fit on the SE) ....but anyhow the main thing I need to make the SE work for me is a huge windshield. Anybody make one?

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #112
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,033
Quote:
so are the stock pipes adequate on the SE??
Depends on your use. I am the only one I know that has kept them, but I'm very happy to have the solid bumpers there when I crash, which I do a fair amount of in the woods.

The heat really isn't an issue if you are riding in the dirt. I agree with Jimmy Lewis that the most comfortable position in the woods is standing, so you aren't effected by the heat. If you are riding to work in traffic, that might be another story.

I personally think that 100 horsepower is enough for a dirt bike. So I don't need pipes or jetting to make it faster. Just saying!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #113
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
but anyhow the main thing I need to make the SE work for me is a huge windshield. Anybody make one?

I don't think you're going to want to go that way with it. I'm 6'5" also, and I think to have anything effective on there, you would need a barn door sized shield. Then comes the buffeting. Not to mention the fact that it would be in the way for any offroad antics. What impressed me with the SM anyway, was the fact that I was riding in perfectly clean air. It sounds like you're trying to turn the SE back into a Adventure model.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #114
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Quote:

they suck just like on the Adventure...first thing I ditched...

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #115
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
they suck just like on the Adventure...first thing I ditched...
congrats on the getting the SE Michael.

so, Akros??

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #116
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I don't think you're going to want to go that way with it. I'm 6'5" also, and I think to have anything effective on there, you would need a barn door sized shield. Then comes the buffeting. Not to mention the fact that it would be in the way for any offroad antics. What impressed me with the SM anyway, was the fact that I was riding in perfectly clean air. It sounds like you're trying to turn the SE back into a Adventure model.
Well, I just thought the SE would make a nice light dual sport/ADV bike. But for winter riding it would need a windshield or I'd be on the GSA. Its just so damn HEAVEY! . I know it would be a barn door, but for the cold wheather I'd live with it. Yeah, turn it back into an Adventure model with WAY less wieght. (and fuel capacity. Cant have everything )

Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #117
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Well, I just thought the SE would make a nice light dual sport/ADV bike. But for winter riding it would need a windshield or I'd be on the GSA.
A european adv'er has adapted a 950 ADV windscreen, etc, onto the SE.

Personally, I prefer the lack of air handling on the SE, which results in such smooth flow, even if a lot more of it.

Projects coming up for my SE:
- soft Luggage w/ racks
- revalved Suspension
- upgraded Headlight
- additional fuel capacity
- cored stock exhausts
- complete setup notes

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 AM   #118
clang
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
I have the same preference on the HP-2. The only time it really sucks, is at high speed in heavy crosswinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

Personally, I prefer the lack of air handling on the SE, which results in such smooth flow, even if a lot more of it.

- soft Luggage w/ racks
- revalved Suspension
- upgraded Headlight
- cored stock exhausts
- complete setup notes
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #119
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,786
Ned- what are you looking to do for lights? I just ordered an aerostich HID conversion kit. I'll post my results when it is installed.

Who will you have revalve your suspension? I was thinking about sending mine to Precision Concepts- I like it very much now, except I bottom out on big air.

I'm using a Kolpin 1.25 gallon fuel cell affixed to one of CJRacers tail racks. Gets me to about 140 miles or so.

Quote:

- soft Luggage w/ racks
- revalved Suspension
- upgraded Headlight
- cored stock exhausts
- complete setup notes
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #120
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
............I agree about the clean air thing. Thats what I like about the SM.....I'm talking 20 degrees F......It would certainly be taken off in summer and on trail rides.......But for long trips in winter