ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #121
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep
Ned- what are you looking to do for lights? I just ordered an aerostich HID conversion kit. I'll post my results when it is installed.
I'm going to install a Baja Designs 8" racelight.

Quote:
Who will you have revalve your suspension? I was thinking about sending mine to Precision Concepts- I like it very much now, except I bottom out on big air.
I agree, stock isn't bad. In my opinion, it's a bit harsh up front, and the shock doesn't digress as it should, which tends to blow the tire out (already a problem with that much horsepower) and causes it to catch/grab/catch/grab in corners where it could be smooth.

I'll use Superplush Suspension. His work has been SO GOOD on my 250, 450, and 950 Adventure, I won't consider anywhere else. I've ridden many Precision Concepts bikes (though no SE's) and am generally unimpressed with their work, especially on linkageless bikes. IMO, they have a great setup for sand whoops, but everywhere else, I didn't think it offered good control at all. Very harsh midstroke, so that chop was fine, and big hits were good, but mid-sized trail junk was absolutely brutal, both for comfort and control.

By contrast, the Superplush revalves I've had done have been transformational, religious experiences, where the angels sing down when you ride.

Quote:
I'm using a Kolpin 1.25 gallon fuel cell affixed to one of CJRacers tail racks. Gets me to about 140 miles or so.
Top secret for a little while. It's gonna be cool, if it works...

PS: here's the new bike (I got another after westfest)- rode it to my shop and tore it down. Here it is with 4 miles on it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #122
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
For HID light conversions, CQlight has by far the least expensive systems http://www.cqlight.ca/

Not sure if the SE has the same option, but I upgraded my 990S to the 'European' headlight assy, i.e. 2 real bulbs, one Hi, one Lo, then got the H3 and H7 CQlight motorcyle conversion kits and installed them. HID Hi and Lo. WOW! Serious light and the European headlight focuses them well so cars don't flash me. CQlight only seems to offer 5000K as their lowest (yellowest) bulbs, but I got 4300K bulbs by putting it in the order notes, and they will substitute. Parts seem well made and very compact.

They have an H4 kit too.

Dual HID conversion for less than $200. Single HID for under $100.

How much is AeroStitch's kit?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #123
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,562
Re: your observation on the rear suspension, especially- you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't figure out what the freakin problem was with countersteering, but you defined it. I seem to have a much harder time countersteering this bike than I did with my Adventure.

If the angels are singing, I'm listening. I will sched the SE for work with super plush.

You are a fiend for tearing apart that beautiful bike with 4 miles. A fiend, I say! I bet it's gonna be some freakin spectacular whn you're done.

I was talked out of the Baja Designs light by their salesman- he told me it would be too difficult to move all the wiring out of the way. That's why I went with aerostich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

I agree, stock isn't bad. In my opinion, it's a bit harsh up front, and the shock doesn't digress as it should, which tends to blow the tire out (already a problem with that much horsepower) and causes it to catch/grab/catch/grab in corners where it could be smooth.

I'll use Superplush Suspension. His work has been SO GOOD on my 250, 450, and 950 Adventure, I won't consider anywhere else. I've ridden many Precision Concepts bikes (though no SE's) and am generally unimpressed with their work, especially on linkageless bikes. IMO, they have a great setup for sand whoops, but everywhere else, I didn't think it offered good control at all. Very harsh midstroke, so that chop was fine, and big hits were good, but mid-sized trail junk was absolutely brutal, both for comfort and control.

By contrast, the Superplush revalves I've had done have been transformational, religious experiences, where the angels sing down when you ride.

Top secret for a little while. It's gonna be cool, if it works...

PS: here's the new bike (I got another after westfest)- rode it to my shop and tore it down. Here it is with 4 miles on it.

unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #124
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,138
Quote:

Projects coming up for my SE:
- soft Luggage w/ racks
- revalved Suspension
- upgraded Headlight
- additional fuel capacity
- cored stock exhausts
- complete setup notes

I trust you've checked out ktoomer's Alpine Racing set up.

It sure is purdy.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #125
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Quote:

You spoiled bastard....oh wait, that's me!

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #126
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
So, are we all gonna chip in and get the proper "Super Neduro" decals for the lad?

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #127
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Hey Ned what kind of milkcrate is that?

BTW mine made it more than 4 miles before it went in the shop.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #128
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Re: your observation on the rear suspension, especially- you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't figure out what the freakin problem was with countersteering, but you defined it. I seem to have a much harder time countersteering this bike than I did with my Adventure.
Every KTM I've owned with the 4860 forks and PDS rear shock has felt like that to me. A little sag works and revalving transforms the bikes.

I'm not sure why, but the shims stacks in the forks always seem to have a bunch of big diameter shims right at the bottom of the stack, and then it eases up. IMHO, that's the typical KTM harshness that we feel in front. Out back, I'm still sorta lost, but I have decided I don't like progressive springs at all.

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #129
Ignore Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
So, are we all gonna chip in and get the proper "Super Neduro" decals for the lad?

All you gotta do is Swap the N and the E...ok you Photochop geeks....show us your magic....

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #130
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
All you gotta do is Swap the N and the E...ok you Photochop geeks....show us your magic....
Where are those photochoppers when ya need 'em..

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #131
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,138
Sorry guys. I spend too much time in the basement, and I'm not used to all this orange.

Just a quickie. Lemme know if this gets serious... err... more serious.

Gravity's Dog screwed with this post 08-22-2007 at 09:32 AM
Gravity's Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #132
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

That's awesome GD!

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #133
Ignore Amos

Yeah Baby! that's what I'm talk'n about

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 08-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #134
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
SE extra tank?

Gaspipe: 950R fuel question: Is a second tank mounted on a rear rack going to require a fuel pump or will fuel flow to the float bowls? Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #135
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
SE Street Bike mods?

I want to follow your progress on this path -- I just sold (finally) my Cagiva GC and plan to get an SE to replace it (going to the Honda dealer show in Anaheim next week and this could change plans) ......and plan to ride pavement about 95% of the time.....maybe some dirt roads......and want to solve the same problems you're addressing....I like the the SE more than the Adv. because of its simplicity....two tanks (both the Cagiva and the Adv.) are a pain in the ass......question: what's going to be the downside of changing the rim width on the SE to that of the Adventure? 2.15 vs 1.85 & 4.25 vs 2.5 .... certainly would get a better street oriented tire to fit the larger rims but don't want to loose too much of the snappy handling that's the SE's hallmark....thoughts? Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote