Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
Mark 42 OP
Foiley

Oddometer: 167
2007 went from cast to machined gears, which makes the transmission
shift better and run quieter.

I saw a chart of improvements by year somewhere... if I find it I'll post it.

I ride a ferry every day, and motorcycles don't have to wait in line (up to two hours).

This rig allows me to stop at the hardware store and buy lumber and concrete and such
and be able to transport it home.

I can put my wife on the back & both kids or the dog in the sidecar.

Take a look at some of Mr. Cob's trip reports to see the utility of the rigs demonstrated
in actual use (and many beautiful Pics)

Here's a good example:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138410
Mark 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,911
Yesterday, I finally got the justification I need.

I'm turning my back yard into like Disneyland for my 6 new grandkids. Just installed the mother of all swings this weekend.

And now my kids want me to buy a Ural Gear-Up to cart the kids around in. It's a dirty job, but I guess I'd better get on with it.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy

I'm turning my back yard into like Disneyland for my 6 new grandkids. Just installed the mother of all swings this weekend.

And now my kids want me to buy a Ural Gear-Up to cart the kids around in. It's a dirty job, but I guess I'd better get on with it.
Howdy Baldy,

Welcome to the "foil".

Shameless plug here, if my ride reports had a positive influence on your Ural purchase, please send me an email or PM stating this, it will help me keep the small sponsorship I have with IMWA. Thanks.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Quote:

Ahhh yes, another person falls victim...errr...yeah.

Congrats...you'll LOVE IT!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Tourist

I love my 06 Tourist, Helga. She is a great gal, plus, I've not ridden my other two bikes since meeting Helga. This has to end, since the others are feeling neglected.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #21
TRKTEK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Bastids all a ya.....I've been reading this forum and many others about the Ural and hacks in general and my interest is growing.....fuck.....On my way home from work today I pulled into the new Ural dealer here in Kingston and was poking around a desert cam Gear up in the parking lot when the salesman asked if I wanted to take it for a spin, kinda slow, really wierd, wandered all over the place, but how cool......ya pricks....now I want one.....this wont end well.....

John Kenneth Galbraith

Don't worry my friend, raising your awareness of the world has no negative consequences.

Strikingviking

Survive and thrive. Live well, live in joy. God meant for his children to sing and dance every day!

Sabre
TRKTEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #22
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Shameless plug here, if my ride reports had a positive influence on your Ural purchase, please send me an email or PM stating this, it will help me keep the small sponsorship I have with IMWA. Thanks.
No worries, you were definitely the trend-setter and got us aware of Urals. When my kids watched your Death Valley videos on Ural's site, they were hooked.

I had spoken to some of the Ural people a couple of years ago because they were asking about setting up their website and they spoke highly of you.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #23
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Sounds to me that you really need a dirt-track, instead....

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #24
vwnate1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Talking Resistance Is Futile....

So quite whining allready and sign the damned check

This new bike you're about to buy , will provide the most fun you'll ever have with your pants on , no B.S. SWMBO , Kids & dogs will all love it too

I just ran the So. Cal. TT Ride (again) on my old 1994 Ural Tourist 650 Solo , as usual it wheezed & clattered it's way through 1,000 miles of mountains & 112° F deserts in two short days , mostly " On The Pin " the whole time....

Didn't even use any oil .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRKTEK
Bastids all a ya.....I've been reading this forum and many others about the Ural and hacks in general and my interest is growing.....fuck.....On my way home from work today I pulled into the new Ural dealer here in Kingston and was poking around a desert cam Gear up in the parking lot when the salesman asked if I wanted to take it for a spin, kinda slow, really wierd, wandered all over the place, but how cool......ya pricks....now I want one.....this wont end well.....
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Ural

I love my Ural, but just wish I could have had oine when the kids were still home. They are long gone now. However, I do take my grandaughter to pre school once a week. She loves the Ural.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
antsaint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Yessir, that GU is off to a good start - environs to match the paint job, always a plus!

We haven't gotten any of the wee set in there yet. Some of our friends have kids, and one day they dropped by and there was suddenly a band of under-3 monkeys crawling all over the Patrol (it was in the garage at the time). They were having a blast. The oldest plopped right down in the saddle and I showed her how all the controls worked.

TRK - give in now. You're toast. Just write the check. And get ready for a heckuva fun time.
Antsaint - Food, the Web, Writing & Eugene, Oregon
http://www.antsaint.com/
antsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
tedzap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Ural changes over the year, and mission of my rig

Rous44, your post struck a chord with me so I thought I would put in my $.02. Over the years I have looked at the Urals and been interested- but not willing to take the plunge. Whenever I would start to get serious, I would remember an article I read about the guy who bought a Ural and entered the Iron Butt rally. It was a horror story of mechanical failures, and he had to fabricate new pistons out of coffee cans to get home (or something).

Fast forward to a year ago when I ran into a guy at Burke's Garden (VA) on a Ural and he/it left a different impression. He led me to think that maybe these weren't junk, and that the improvements in recent years were real and substantial. The grin on his face was.

With renewed interest I started looking into them with more detail, there is a lot of good info on the web. What I came to believe before buying mine last fall was 1. they used to be junk and 2. they are no longer so. In my eyes they could were always a cross between a tank and a tractor, but now they were getting reliable enough to seriously consider.

I could have picked up a nicely used '06 for a great price, but I decided to step up for the latest improvements. It seems each year they make great strides with lots of enhancements, this website describes not only the changes for '07, but also attempts to describe *why* we are seeing so many enhancements per year. Here is one that compares '06 - '08 side by side, and you can find others.

It seems that the best improvements started in the mid '00s (maybe 2005) and have continued ever since.

You also asked questions about the "mission" of the rig, and to be honest I wasn't sure of that myself before taking the plunge. I anticipated it would would be fun to carry the dog around in, get groceries, wander the local fire roads and the blue ridge parkway. I wanted something different and was only hoping that it would live up to my expectations.

Unlike most of my preconcieved notions, I was more right than wrong. I was right in that it is perfect for all the above situations, I was wrong in how often I would be doing it. I look for excuses to load up the dog and roll, we ride daily.

Does the Ural replace any bikes? No and Yes. It still can't roost like my WR450 dual sport, or cover miles like the R11S... but I find myself picking the "50mph" destinations more and more. I probably pick the Ural 90% of the time.

I have read some people complaining that the top end speed of the bike is too low, that they have no choice but to use interstates to reach the "blue highways". Fortunately these blue roads are all around me and the bike is a great fit. Works for me, maybe not for you.

My current intentions are to wear this bike out and then buy another. If I felt compelled to thin the herd I would start elsewhere. I have had some break-in and warranty issues- nothing excessive- but I am glad to have the dealer I do. I ended up paying slightly more and travelling farther to deal with someone I trusted, and recommend this approach.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #28
Mark 42 OP
Foiley

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Mark 42,

Welcome to the foil, please post proper photos when you get the rig dirty. Extra Adv-Rider points will be awarded for dents and scratches.
I did whack a semi in the lugnuts on the ferry a couple of months ago...
They parked the trucks so close together that the lane between them
was too narrow, and I didn't see that the truck's lugnuts stuck out farther
than his wheels & tires. Got a nice little dent in the sidecar fender.

I sprayed some "Italian Olive" colored krylon on it, and no one even
notices anymore.

Are you planning to do any rides near Port Orchard this summer
(Maybe Tahuya)? If so, email me. If I am in town, I probably will go along
if y'all will have me along.
Mark 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #29
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRKTEK
On my way home from work today I pulled into the new Ural dealer here in Kingston
I just moved to SW Ontario from Gananoque in March... could have given you a spin on my '05 Tourist had I known you were interested. Well, anyway, don't forget to join CURD when you get your new Ural.
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #30
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
I've been trying to justify one of these for a long time.
Don't. Makes the purchasing process much easier that way.

Here's a link to a list of all the improvements since '05: http://www.uralnw.com/ural/yearlychanges.html
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote