User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My New Product - Lay Over Stand

Just thought I'd share a short story of what it took for me to get the Lay Over Stand to market. First of all, I know many of you will probably say this is the dumbest thing ever thought of...yeah yeah yeah...I never claimed for this to be the solver of "World Peace", just thought this stand would make the task of laying a bike over easier, quicker, and safer/more stable. The general idea of the stand had been in my mind for several years, just didn't know what to do about it. Through my years of riding/racing (MX) and having grown up with my dad riding/racing regularly (my dad is the adventurer...been from Illinois to Artic Circle, Nova Scotia, Baja Peninsula, etc....he's the real deal), I thought there had to be a better way to lay the bike over. Too many times have I had my bikes simply move on a regular stand (but not quite fall off), actually fall off the stand, scratch a fork tube, bend a lever, rip a grip, etc.
I am a 3-D product designer by trade so I began creating multiple different models and eventually came up with something that seemed would work....on the computer screen anyways haha.

Soon after coming up with the concept and putting together 3-D models and 2-D build prints of the stand, I ended signing an agreement with Motorsport Products to produce and sell the stand.
We (myself and MP) had a couple initial prototype versions made....what a cool feeling that was to see an idea in your head really come to light (believe it or not, there was one of the first prototypes of these stands being used at A1 last year...2013). Here is a pic of me testing the stand out while in the middle of my CR 250 build :-)

After some testing and feedback, we made some improvements to the stand and had a 2nd round of prototype stands made (thinking these were the final product, we were able to get some "cool" ones made haha). Here is a pic of prototype #2 and me using it.

After several months of testing, we made some final small adjustments and went into "production" on the stands....below is a pic of a couple of the first actual production based stands.

Once they were In-Stock, the stands were set-up in Parts Unlimited and stocked in all their DC's. The stand also showed up on BTO Sports, Rocky Mountain, and Parts Unlimited's website which was VERY cool....to me anyways haha

Last but not least, finally hit the "big-time" (haha) when photo's showed up online of some "big name" moto guys using it :-)

[embed][/embed]

That's about it. This honestly isn't meant to be "spam" (admin, feel free to delete thread if you see necessary), just thought some of you might like to hear the story behind a new product. Although I have not tried this on a true dual-sport bike, I can say that I had a 250 lbs. motocross bike on the stand and then stood ontop of the bike....the stand didn't budge (I weight another 155 lbs.).

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
superx421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
superx421 OP
Adventurer

E-mail me at layoverstand@yahoo.com if interested in purchasing one. I am selling them for $60 (retail is $66.95) and am including FREE shipping in USA. I accept PayPal for payment and can usually ship out same day as payment is received. Thanks!

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,668
Nice product, I think Vendors will be your next stop
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Nice product, I think Vendors will be your next stop
Agree....I realized that after I had posted here.....any suggestions on how to get it moved over to there? Thanks!

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
couple of questions before (if ?)this gets deleted

i never see it used on the throttle side ? throttle tube issues?

is there a weight limit to the stand ?

seems like a lot of weight for some dual sports to on the steer stop bars ? but I guess no worse than dumping it over LOL

the price point is right on target IMHO and it is a great idea
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
couple of questions before (if ?)this gets deleted

i never see it used on the throttle side ? throttle tube issues?

is there a weight limit to the stand ?

seems like a lot of weight for some dual sports to on the steer stop bars ? but I guess no worse than dumping it over LOL

the price point is right on target IMHO and it is a great idea
That honestly is just coincidence about the throttle.... simply because most of these pictures are showing the stand being used to do maintenance to the clutch system.....I lay my bike over both ways to wash and never had any issues.

Weight..... haven't busted one yet. As in original post, I laid a 250 pound bike on it plus myself stood on the bike for a total of about 400 pounds..... didn't budge. Using a scale, with the 250 bike by itself, there is actually only about 100 of pressure put onto the stand.

I'm fine if this thread gets deleted because I would rather it be in the Vendor section anyways..... any ideas on how to get this moved over there?

Thanks!

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superx421 View Post
Agree....I realized that after I had posted here.....any suggestions on how to get it moved over to there? Thanks!
Successfully moved to "Vendors"....thanks!

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
thanks for the response

good to see your a vendor so no risk of delete

i would try one but on a heavy bike like an xr650l
I am not sure i could lower it that far over and position the stand without dropping the bike
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Great idea and product.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
thanks for the response

good to see your a vendor so no risk of delete

i would try one but on a heavy bike like an xr650l
I am not sure i could lower it that far over and position the stand without dropping the bike
Agree....I do need to try it on something very heavy.

Just wanted to answer your comment about lowering the bike and positioning the stand. Watch that video and you'll see that this product is designed to eliminate that exact situation....you lay the bike AND the stand over simultaneously, so there is not any fumbling with a stand while holding a bike

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
How will this work for the big adventure bikes? I'd be interested in trying this on a big adventure bike. I hate to install a centre stand, and this looks like the ticket for repairs.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
How will this work for the big adventure bikes? I'd be interested in trying this on a big adventure bike. I hate to install a centre stand, and this looks like the ticket for repairs.

I will have an answer for you on "adventure bikes" hopefully within a couple days....thanks for asking!

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Here are a couple pics of the stand being used on a brand new TR650 Strada.....no issues at all and not even adjusted to the tallest height

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120
Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by superx421 View Post
I will have an answer for you on "adventure bikes" hopefully within a couple days....thanks for asking!
Thanks. One more question for you - since the base footprint is wide enough, do you think it might be possible to use it as a jack? It's hard to explain what I am thinking, but basically, if the top base was a plate instead of the hook like thingy, I could theoretically put this under the bash plate and support the bike using it, and then remove the front wheel without using a lift. Sort of like how you could use a car jack as a motorcycle lift in a pinch.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
superx421 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Thanks. One more question for you - since the base footprint is wide enough, do you think it might be possible to use it as a jack? It's hard to explain what I am thinking, but basically, if the top base was a plate instead of the hook like thingy, I could theoretically put this under the bash plate and support the bike using it, and then remove the front wheel without using a lift. Sort of like how you could use a car jack as a motorcycle lift in a pinch.
Although that attachment you are thinking is not currently available....I don't see why it wouldn't work. Simply unbolt the black rubber coated grip cradle and bolt-on a stationary (not swivel mounted) pad say 6"x6" or something like that.

Instagram - @BYOUNG_120