Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #31
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 4,960
If you are going to be at altitude a lot and are more play riding than actual trials sections, I would definately go for a 250 or 272 machine.

Your price of under $3000 should net you an early 2000's machine in good shape. If you can find a GG 280 Edition or 321 these are very good dependable bikes. The motors are slower reving than current bikes, but that's usually good for a beginner.

You probably won't find a Beta, Sherco 250's in these years. Most were the 272's. A Monty 315 would still be a good choice. Try call Lewisport in CA. They usually have a good selection of used stuff and ship all over the states. As someone mentioned earlier, hook up with the area trials club. Bound to be some machines for sale.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #32
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
One more valid thought:

The modern Scorpa and Beta are the only bikes without the dreaded dog bones to look after. A link-less shock is used, eliminating the maintenance and replacement of those parts and bearings...even the periodic re-greasing.

I bought my Scorpa for that reason and would look at link-less again for my next bike. Trials designers don't put grease nipples on any of the suspension parts anymore, so a disassembly is req'd to do any maintenance.

Have fun and spread the love.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #33
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,727
Checking on an '03 Montesa 315 right now. Supposed to be in excellent condition.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #34
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 509
^ excellent point (linkless).

How much for the 315?
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #35
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1
^ excellent point (linkless).

How much for the 315?

I'm offering 3K.

This is what I'm talking about:

These guys didn't get to that level without riding trials.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #36
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

That'd be a pretty good price of the bike is in good condition. Hope you get it.

Good viddy, those crusty old bags of moto boot leather have roasted a few bikes I'm sure.... .

I found the trials bike a nice crossover from old school North Shore mountain bike riding. I've got lots of practicing to do but so far so good.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #37
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 392
Wouldn't the local trials club shit if you wheeled in to race on a KTM RFS????

That is one impressive video, also doens't appear you need to be a physical specimen either.

I face the exact dilema, the Monty's are holding a good buck, but the Beta's that I've seen can be had very reasonable. '03 for 2.5K. I really like the Honda powered Monty but the Beta parts are far easier to come by where I'm at.

Andy
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #38
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'll second the 200 for a new trials rider. Or a Scorpa 250 or one of their small four-strokes. Something with gentle power off-idle. You will lose fewer points that way. Before I got my Scorpa I had a Beta 250, which wasn't all that fierce for a trials bike. I did better with it after I retarded the timing to reduce the low end hit. The softer response was less fun on the loop but easier to control in sections.

Even though I've been riding off and on for quite a while I'm not very good, so I want the bike to make it as easy for me as possible. As a new rider, unless you are unnaturally gifted, you'll be the same for a while.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1
I found the trials bike a nice crossover from old school North Shore mountain bike riding. I've got lots of practicing to do but so far so good.

Some of the best Trials riders I know have a mountain bike background, either the North Shore or Whistler/Garabaldi.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #40
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
It's small enough. You could take it apart and ship it UPS!
yes, i actually had a bultaco sherpa t shipped from colorada to florida that way a few years ago. interested??
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #41
John K
Ambitious but rubbish

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm
I'll second the 200 for a new trials rider.
I'm 6'6" and around 230lb and ride a Beta Rev 3 200. I'm a n00b, but so far I haven't felt the need for any more power. I specifically chose a 200 after seeing reports from several people who had bought 270/280/300s and then wished they had gone for something less demanding.

Check out Trials Central for loads more information and opinions
Old 08-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #42
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball
yes, i actually had a bultaco sherpa t shipped from colorada to florida that way a few years ago. interested??
Sure, I'm interested in anything. PM me with some details.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #43
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti
Wouldn't the local trials club shit if you wheeled in to race on a KTM RFS????

Actually, some of the sportsman sections look do-able on the RFS.

We have done worse.............but there would undoubtably be that one that would bruise my uterus.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #44
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Here's my two cents. I've been competing at trials off and on for over twenty years. I ride the local Expert or Sportmans class, depending on how I feel. My current ride is a 250 Beta Rev 3. I agree and disagree with some of the info so far.

If you are buying used, I would try and find a bike from a novice or lower class rider. A top level Expert can be very hard on a machine. A lot of older afluent riders will buy a new bike every year. Try and snap one of these machines up. Buying a used trials bike is like buying any other used dirt bike. Look it over good. Pay special attention to the wheels. Still round? No broken spokes and banged up wheels? Make sure the brakes and clutch all work smoothly. Check all the bearings, etc. Straight bars and levers? Trials riding is about precision and a worn out bike is miserable to ride.

The modern 272cc machines all have a lot of snap. Don't pay any attention to advertised numbers. GG, Sherco and Beta are all 272cc. I believe the Scorpa is a 250cc and a Montesa 315 is a 250cc. Beta makes a 250 as does GG and Sherco, but these are imported in limited numbers, because Americans always want big bikes. So in the used market, 250's can be hard to find. You can ride a 272, it just won't be as forgiving as the 250.

Plus as mentioned earlier, there are 200's available. Again, hard to find in the used market. If your a big guy or ride at altitude, I would not recommend one. If not and you find a clean version, 200's are fine. Patrick Smage can ride and bridge gaps on his 125 that we can't do on our big bikes.

GG Pros have gotten a bum rap about reliability. I owned a 03 280 Pro for two years. In the hands of an average rider, you've got nothing to worry about. But if I had to chose, I'd pick the Beta and Monty for stone axe reliablity. The GG Editions or models before the Pros were bullet proof. If you can find one of those, it would be a good choice also.

I personally don't like the Montesa 315's. They handle differently than the others. Just takes some getting used to, but they are built by Honda and very good quality.

I would not get stuck on any one particual model. You just want to find the bike in the best condition, in your price range. If the bike functions properly, it will be yourself holding you back, not the bike.
Very good advise. Only thing I would add would be to loosely aim toward the brand with the best dealer support in your area. It's not critical, but sure is nice.

Oh, and one correction to the above post....all GasGas are not 272cc, 250 Pros are 247 cc, 300 Pros are 294cc

I've had 280, 250 and 300 Pros since 2002, Sherco 250 before that.

Get the best condition one you can find from whatever brand. The differences are fairly subtle and you'll adjust easily to whichever one. Also if coming off modern MX or Enduro bikes, even the nastiest trials bike is going to feel VERY mellow, so don't be too afriad of even 300s...although 200s and 250s are more forgiving.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #45
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Coming off a 625SXC to a 315r in the dirt was just as you speak. From porky farm tractor to flickable leaf blower...