User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Sanya-Hainan China

I'm there in September and have access to a bike, a chinese 250cc Ilhan I think.
Anyone been here?
Anyone ridden one of these bikes?
Any recommendations, apart from spit roast rat, that is?
lamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fish supper

I've just discovered that after a hard days riding, there's a local spa where the naturally warm spring is an idyllic soak. There are even small fish that will eat the scummy skin that flakes off your road weary bod.

Now doesn't that sound nice?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,400
The only rule I discovered when touring around is that there are no road rules. Surprisingly in 3 weeks of travel I never saw one accident. Be preparded to be shit scared of cages, pushies, and unpredicable drivers.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Surprisingly in 3 weeks of travel I never saw one accident.
I was travelling for work some years ago in Jakarta. We had a driver and a car to take us around to meetings and we had been there for a number of days in this super heavy traffic, I had been silently marvelling at the skill and good manners of the local motoring community. Cars merging with no competitive ego bullshit, traffic just flowed and the thousands upon thousands of cars never seemed to have any collisions?? What gives? I was so imressed by these people! One day as we drove down an eight lane highway I said to the driver, "the drivers in your city are fantastic, you NEVER have any accidents here!" Well the driver nearly choked, and spat out a sarcastic laugh and then went on to detail the number of accidents and deaths that occured on the cities roads everyday! I guess there were just so many cars that you just ddin't notice the accidents!
I have travelled a lot in Asia over the years and have asked this question in a number of cities since and always been surprised by the answer (it has always been that there are a LOT of accidents) but the only place I have ever seen an accident in Asia was in Bali.
Another thing I always wonder is where do all the smash repairs places hide then? And even petrol stations in a lot of Asian cities, whereare they?? You have to be a member of a secret society to find them... Sorry for thread hi-jacking.
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Typhoon

I've been hearing of a recent typhoon that caused 1 million folk to be evacuated. I can't get a good fix on just where it was and where it went and what sort of devastation it left behind, but I think it was in the Hainan region. Anyone got more info?

As the bike we are going to use is a pseudo cruiser, I don't think the more remote dirt track areas in the mountains will be achievable, certainly not two up and on fat road tyres, so we may be limited to the busier roads, although obviously we'd like to be more adventurous.

I've just bought a zumo, (my Tom Tom is too unreliable and not flexible enough to use) so any maps people have for this area that you'd be happy to share, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Smackit
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 317
I have been there before, but have not ridden a motorcycle on the island. I live in Guangdong and do a lot of riding here. You should have a Chinese drivers license, but I doubt you will have much trouble with the local police, barring you don't get stopped or have an accident.

GPS is not going to be very easy for Hainan. Garmin does not have maps for the area unless you purchase the GPS unit in China. Try these links for more China GPS info:

http://www.unistrong.com/English/index.htm
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index.p...&highlight=gps

If you are going through the Hong Kong airport on your way, you can probably find a decent map of the island with English in one of the airport bookstores.

Have fun!
ChinaV
Smackit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ChinaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaV
I have been there before, but have not ridden a motorcycle on the island. I live in Guangdong and do a lot of riding here. You should have a Chinese drivers license, but I doubt you will have much trouble with the local police, barring you don't get stopped or have an accident.

GPS is not going to be very easy for Hainan. Garmin does not have maps for the area unless you purchase the GPS unit in China. Try these links for more China GPS info:

http://www.unistrong.com/English/index.htm
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index.p...&highlight=gps

If you are going through the Hong Kong airport on your way, you can probably find a decent map of the island with English in one of the airport bookstores.

Have fun!
ChinaV
ChinaV,
Thanks for that info, I'll certainly follow up on it.
What's the island like? I get the impression Sanya is a good base, but if you want to see the "real China" you need to get up into the hills and the west side of Hainan.
Any recommendations?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Smackit
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 317
Probably not a lot of the "real China" left on the eastern seaboard. The rapid development of the coastal regions is staggering. I ride about 75 kilometers out of Guangzhou before finally breaking out of the concrete jungle.

There is a good map here:
http://www.maps-of-china.net/province/hainanm.htm
http://www.sunnysanya.com/Map_Sanya_...FQligwodXAtNZQ

I think you should find some interesting stuff on the smaller roads that branch off from routes 224 and 225. Try riding north on route 224 and head for five finger mountain. I think you will find some interesting roads up there.

Look forward to reading your ride report!
ChinaV
Smackit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shipping.

Just shipped some riding gear by Fedex, so I can pick it up in HK. It should enable us to carry our business luggage to HK, ship that back with other equipment from HK then pick up the bike kit and go to Hainan.

I believe the norm is no helmet, shorts and flip flops, but on strange roads with unknown driving styles, plus my wife as pillion, we will be wearing helmets, gloves and certainly not flips or flops.
Must go now, it's my typhoid tablet time.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

China Raw.

If you can stand the seediness of the ex-pats liberal sexual conquests with the chinese girls a fraction of their age, and you can conduct yourself in a manner where you don't spit in their degenerate eyes, then you can hire a bike at The Rainbow Bar in Sanya, where these dregs of humanity seem to have washed up, on their never ending quest for cheap beer, cheap sex and no responsibility.

My wife and I were unaware of this under belly when we arranged our ride over the internet, and counted ourselves lucky to have found a ride, beaurocracy free and English speaking guided.

Sanya is a place to ride out from and count your blessings when you have done so. Traffic is animated, freeform and abstract all at the same time.

The countryside is freer of cars, but does come with prancing water buffalo, goats, pigs, chickens, dogs and people. The only thing we saw obeying any road sense was a line of ducks on a crossing, and I think this was more by chance than anything else.
It's a world away from Hong Kong, a world away from the western sensibilities and all the better for it.

Take waterproofs for the mountains, it can and did change suddely. Also, if you end up with the 600 Honda Shadow and weigh more than a fairy's whisper, you'll probably need to find a gas station after 80km or so. We didn't and I ended up pushing the rust bucket up a mountain in 90% humidity. Also, the front brake is sporadic, the shocks are gone, the chain needs lubing, the spark plugs have seen better days, the rear drum is trivial, the saddle is a nightmare, it won't steer and the mirrors vibrate loose.
We loved every minute though. It's China...raw, and all the better for it.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamble
I've been hearing of a recent typhoon that caused 1 million folk to be evacuated.
Bowels?
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,502
Ride report please
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #13
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul
Ride report please
Prestonpaul, that was my token gesture at a report. What specifically would you like to know?
It's hard to discern the hard facts of road name/number, when all around is strangeness, sense and nerve jarring overload. Honestly it is amazingly delicious to ride in it. We had a coach trip today, and the air conditioned bus wafted us passed some of the things we were involved with when on the bike. Today they were sectioned off from our senses, like a TV travel documentary, completely different and slightly disappointing.
Last year I rode across the USA and in 47 days I never experienced the stimulation the simple small rides here have delivered in abundance here.

What would you like the report to comprise of?
Come and experience it, it's not a list of routes and roads, it's, it's the people, the smells, the sights, the heat, the animals, the traffic, the plant life, the sounds...I'm not sure how I'd build them into a report that would fairly convey it all.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #14
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,502
I am probably more interested in photos than anything else. As for going my self, maybe one day, but not in the forseeable future too many other things going on at the moment. Anything you would care to offer us armchair adventurers would be greatly appreciated.
All the best.
Paul.
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #15
lamble OP
Gnarly Adventurer

video'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul
I am probably more interested in photos than anything else. As for going my self, maybe one day, but not in the forseeable future too many other things going on at the moment. Anything you would care to offer us armchair adventurers would be greatly appreciated.
All the best.
Paul.
Mrs L videoed the ride from the pillion and at our stop offs.
When we get back home, I'll do some butchering of the tapes and see what I can get posted.

Today was going to be another bike ride of sorts, this time using underwater bikes to circumnavigate an island outcrop. Unfortunately the sea was a touch too choppy so we had to go by sub instead which took the edge off things.

Later tonight when it cools down, it's time for the kissing fish pool-full immersion. I'm sure I'll have some suitably ghastly pics of body nibbling to add tomorrow when we get back to HK.