User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Sadlsor OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Question New starter torque limiter

I've been dealing with the noise since week 1 of riding the Beast home from Louisville. 2005.5, 1364 miles when it became mine in early July. It's been getting progressively worse, so Donnie at Graham KTM (Senatobia, MS) has sent me the new parts, to arrive today. Said it's a big box, like it includes the case. Good thing, too, because yesterday it clacked, slapped and whacked itself without ever starting the bike, to the point I ran the battery flat. Again (new battery 3 weeks ago.) It's like the starter gears are completely stripped.

Having just replaced the stator (not starter!) a week ago, I know I can get that far. But in the numerous threads I've seen here, I haven't seen details on actually getting into the starter / freewheel and all the guts there. I know I'll drain the oil again, but seems I saw a mention to drain coolant as well? Doesn't seem that should be necessary.

Is the whole procedure performed from the left generator case as before, or will I need to attack the starter from the right side as well? Does the starter need to be removed from the engine?

I'd feel better having a couple of more clues than I do now. I know Pyndon and RidewestKTM could do this in their sleep.

The workshop CD has been on backorder for over a month, so hopefully NC has mailed me his loaner. Feel like I'm flying blind here.

TIA!! I'll be wrenching while y'all are riding.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
replace limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor
I've been dealing with the noise since week 1 of riding the Beast home from Louisville. 2005.5, 1364 miles when it became mine in early July. It's been getting progressively worse, so Donnie at Graham KTM (Senatobia, MS) has sent me the new parts, to arrive today. Said it's a big box, like it includes the case. Good thing, too, because yesterday it clacked, slapped and whacked itself without ever starting the bike, to the point I ran the battery flat. Again (new battery 3 weeks ago.) It's like the starter gears are completely stripped.

Having just replaced the stator (not starter!) a week ago, I know I can get that far. But in the numerous threads I've seen here, I haven't seen details on actually getting into the starter / freewheel and all the guts there. I know I'll drain the oil again, but seems I saw a mention to drain coolant as well? Doesn't seem that should be necessary.

Is the whole procedure performed from the left generator case as before, or will I need to attack the starter from the right side as well? Does the starter need to be removed from the engine?

I'd feel better having a couple of more clues than I do now. I know Pyndon and RidewestKTM could do this in their sleep.

The workshop CD has been on backorder for over a month, so hopefully NC has mailed me his loaner. Feel like I'm flying blind here.

TIA!! I'll be wrenching while y'all are riding.
Yes it's all done under that cover. If you go to my discription of trial-side repar its the same, but allow the oil loss and keep it up right. Undo the vent hose competly. My new case came with an extra screw -no idea what for. The only thing I could see which would use it was a shaft retainer and it already had it. By the way no need to remove that screw on dissassembly - it is the one in the center of a boss in the middle of the old cover. If you went after the alternator stator you have done everything already except remove the limiter which is by fingers no tools.

good luck
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
The case mounting bolts are different lengths. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers. Installation is straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor

It's like the starter gears are completely stripped.
It sounds pretty bad but is only the torque limiter slipping.

I know I'll drain the oil again
not necessary

seems I saw a mention to drain coolant as well? Doesn't seem that should be necessary.
not necessary

Is the whole procedure performed from the left generator case
yes

will I need to attack the starter from the right side as well?
no

Does the starter need to be removed from the engine?
no
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Sadlsor

PM me and I send you the link to the Library where you will find the info you require.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Sadlsor OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, cp - PM sent.

And the new case and parts package did NOT arrive today. Damn!

Looks like Monday afternoon is set aside for this job I had planned to do today. *sigh* Such is life...

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
I had this done at my first service, no noise, but now its leaking a bit of oil from the bottom of the generator cover.
my dealer is gonna fix it, but if I was doing the repair I would keep a careful eye on the gasket when i put the cover back on.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,943
I give up....... What's a starter torque limiter?---- What kind of noise does it make?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
JavaJunkie
Mmmm, C8H10N4O2

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
I give up....... What's a starter torque limiter?---- What kind of noise does it make?
It makes the most gawd-awful noise that makes you look like a putz on your big huge ORANGE motorcycle.
JavaJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie
It makes the most gawd-awful noise that makes you look like a putz on your big huge ORANGE motorcycle.

When does this noise appear? .....at startup?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
2005.5 or newer models

Quote:
When does this noise appear? .....at startup?
Anytime the starter button is pushed and the throttle is twisted. Gradually (or sooner), the noise will occur without the throttle twisted. You WILL know it when it happens.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Sadlsor OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie
Hmmphhh.

Does the same if not worse, on the big huge BLUE ones. Are the BLUE ones the noisiest? yuk, yuk, yuk. Got to the point where I would look around hoping no one was nearby when I had to start it.

When does it happen? Used to happen every time I started the bike after it was warm. Then it happened even when I started it when the motor was cold. Now it happens even when it won't start.

That's OK. Donnie Graham is taking care of me... my kit should be here Monday.

And the oil leak under the bottom of the generator case? I tried to be careful when I re-used the original plastic gasket, but it took me longer to put it back together than it did to take it all apart? (Isn't that always the case?) The dowels kept falling out, or one of the bolts would miss the hole, or... finally got it all lined up, and torqued to spec and not 1 Nm over! and it held without leaking. I was worried about that. And now, after 2 take-off's, I'm sure I'll be stretching my luck if I don't have a dribble this time after buttoning it all back up.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Anytime the starter button is pushed and the throttle is twisted. Gradually (or sooner), the noise will occur without the throttle twisted. You WILL know it when it happens.

I have ab 07 990. FI. so i don't touch the throttle when starting.---Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #13
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Torque Limiter

Quote:
I have ab 07 990. FI. so i don't touch the throttle when starting.---Thanks
The 990 isn't imnune either but some of the 950 don't show problems for a while. Usually you get lots of warning. It sounds like it's grinding rocks when it "functions". Also starting it in gear tends to aggravate. The problem is the device self-distructs everytime it functions -if it doesn't function it doesn't self-destruct. Only one bike I have heard of didn't give warning. When it does go the enging will not turn over.
I will give you a washer that can be used to get you home that can be installed trail-side. Just let me know.
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Sadlsor OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh yeah - on that note: I never have had to use the throttle at all to start it (in my vast 6-week / 1200-mile ownership experience), and decided early on to always start in Neutral to avoid any clutch drag.

It has always slipped since I got it home (interestingly, never did this on my 400-mile maiden voyage to my garage), and now as mentioned above simply will not spin the motor.

Bottom line? It don't fix itself.

BUTT!.... once this is fixed I feel like I'm home free. (Of course, I'll tuck away a waterpump rebuild kit and a spare fuel pump just in case!)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
Sadlsor OP
Studly Adventurer

It's Here!!

Time to go to work...

Ya wanna see the whole kit?
http://sadlsor.smugmug.com/gallery/3338664#186006651