ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
Just moved to CA; Dirtbike Registration?

Alright so per the website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr19.htm I need 1 of the following:
Quote:
If you purchased an OHV that has never been registered in California from anyone other than a California dealer, you will need:

* An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
* A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee or law enforcement officer, vehicle verifier, or authorized auto club employee.
* Evidence of ownership, which may be:
o The Manufacturer’s Certification of Origin endorsed to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.
o An original or certified copy of the factory invoice to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.
o Out-of-state titling documents and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.
* OHV fees and use tax, if due.

The Department of Motor Vehicles collects OHV licensing fees and maintains registration records pursuant to Vehicle Code §38010.
Unfortunately for me my Bike is currently Registered in the State of Massachusetts and my bike even has a metal MA ATV Plate but that state does not TITLE OHVs.

I do have CURRENT Copy of the Registration, a Bill of Sale from the guy I bought it from and that's it. I've even had the bike Registered in TX there you just pay the $8/yr and get the Registration Sticker.

Has anyone else encountered this situation when moving here from out of state?
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer
 
Rhino-1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Alright so per the website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr19.htm I need 1 of the following:


Unfortunately for me my Bike is currently Registered in the State of Massachusetts and my bike even has a metal MA ATV Plate but that state does not TITLE OHVs.

I do have CURRENT Copy of the Registration, a Bill of Sale from the guy I bought it from and that's it. I've even had the bike Registered in TX there you just pay the $8/yr and get the Registration Sticker.

Has anyone else encountered this situation when moving here from out of state?
You'll be fine so long as you are not trying to get a license plate for it. Try taking what you have to DMV. They may just take it that way. If they don't, they'll ask you to fill out a replacement/lost title document that the PO will have to sign.
__________________
"I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce...."

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Corsa, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
RandyM
Less talk, More ride
 
RandyM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, Ca
Oddometer: 912
I think the paperwork you have will do just fine. A few months ago I bought a '71 T-500 with no paperwork but a handwritten bill of sale from the P.O. and the bike not registered since who knows when. I had no problem registering it except that I had to get CHP inspection because the model year was not printed on the vin tag and the DMV guy did not know how to look it up.
__________________
-Ride Safe-
RandyM
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
I think the paperwork you have will do just fine. A few months ago I bought a '71 T-500 with no paperwork but a handwritten bill of sale from the P.O. and the bike not registered since who knows when. I had no problem registering it except that I had to get CHP inspection because the model year was not printed on the vin tag and the DMV guy did not know how to look it up.
So DO I have to bring ALL my vehicles to the DMV for VIN tag inspection?

I gotta register my truck the dirtbike and my street bike. The tag on my Street bike doesn't run out til 2013, if I get busted by the 5-0 what's the penalty for not registering the bike here? Say I have a CA license and Insurance on the bike but the Tag is still Louisiana??

I'm 100% Convinced that this state has far too many regulations.
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Truckin_Thumper
low profile
 
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Oddometer: 28,887
I have a small request.

If you could, could you post up or PM me on how much your vehicles were to register?
I know its kind of a crazy question, but I just gotta know what and how much fees are to ......for lack of a better word..."use".

I talked to a fella in San Diego that paid some crazy amount around $1500 I remember....that was for Tags and some other crap...don't think it covered his property tax.....a yr or two old Toyota 4WD p/u.

I about fell over....musta been why we were moving him and his company to Salt Lake City..

Anyways if that is too bold a question......disregard
__________________
gimmie the button!
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
So DO I have to bring ALL my vehicles to the DMV for VIN tag inspection?


I'm 100% Convinced that this state has far too many regulations.
yup
yup
might even have to get the truck weighed.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
yup
yup
might even have to get the truck weighed.
Luckily it's an "SUV" so hopefully not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I have a small request.

If you could, could you post up or PM me on how much your vehicles were to register?
I know its kind of a crazy question, but I just gotta know what and how much fees are to ......for lack of a better word..."use".

I talked to a fella in San Diego that paid some crazy amount around $1500 I remember....that was for Tags and some other crap...don't think it covered his property tax.....a yr or two old Toyota 4WD p/u.

I about fell over....musta been why we were moving him and his company to Salt Lake City..

Anyways if that is too bold a question......disregard
Yeah I'll let ya know. It looks like CA is one of those BullShit states that wants to collect the difference in sales tax from where you moved from. So if you bought a car in New Hampshire or Oregon and you come here you gotta pay 9.25% of what you paid for the vehicle.

LA does that garbage too; but I didn't have jack when I moved there. I paid like 8.5% sales tax in LA so I'm not going to be paying TOO much to transfer my stuff over but it's not gonna be cheap by anymeans.

Thanks for all the answers fellas
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
Pissed 6.5 hours!



Ok so since there's no definitive list on the wonderful CA DMV website for the process of transferring in from another state let me give you the run down of the Bullshit process I had to go through.

January 12 make an appointment online; first available is 0940 01/21. OK Done
Show up 0930 01/21 and am handed a number. Alright WTF was the point of making an appointment? So I Have my 4runner and KX250 on the hitch carrier and wheel it around to the VIN Inspection area while waiting for my number to be called.

This VIN Inspector is checking EVERYTHING Odometer, DOT Safety Placards EPA Placards and all the VIN Tags. Took about 20 mins to the truck than she moves on to the Dirt bike and is thoroughly confused because of the lack of Odometer, EPA & DOT stickers I explain it's OFF-Road only but she's an ESL and the message is barely getting across.

Finally make it back inside to process the Drivers license form and registration forms. Since the FAILED to let me know I needed the SMOG inspection FIRST she's unable to process my 4runner Registration, so it's on the KX and since I don't have a Title She tells me she can't complete that application either and I need a letter from my previous state saying they don't title ATVs and finally my streetbike is rejected because I didn't bring it in for the VIN inspection.

I had to wait in another line for 45 mins to take my picture for the Driver's License. They shoot the photo and then hand my 2 written examinations. 1 for the MC endorsement and another for the car license. WTF? I haven't taken a written Exam since 1996. Moved from MA-FL-LA and never had to take one EVER.

Luckily while I was in line I was able to Call Boston and get them to FAX a letter over saying Titles weren't required on ATVs. Walked out with a Green Sticker and my Title will be mailed in 6 weeks along with my new Driver's License (WTF they can't print them out there I have no idea now I have to use a flimsy paper copy).

So it was on the the Smog Station to get the cert for the truck and then time to Ride the Rockster over for it's VIN verification, which was another fiasco because it has no EPA Sticker but luckily when the counter guy processed the paperwork he didn't care and gave me my tag. Because the FAILED to tell me that I needed to turn my LA tags in to them I had to sign an affidavit saying I'd bring my tags back within 7 days.

By the time I walked out of there I was $623 poorer and now have to re-register the damn bike and car every year now. LA a bike is good for 4 and a car is good for 2. At least I'm saving 15% on my insurance BFD.

So if anyone in the future is every wondering how the hell you transfer from out of state to CA there you go.

So make sure you
A) Have your SMOG check done 1st on you Car/Truck
B) Get all your VINs Verified FIRST
C) Take your old tags off the car & bike and bring them with you to the DMV
D) Passport or Birth Certificate is also required to get your DL
E) Make sure you bring lots of fucking money
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
So make sure you
A) Have your SMOG check done 1st on you Car/Truck
B) Get all your VINs Verified FIRST
C) Take your old tags off the car & bike and bring them with you to the DMV
D) Passport or Birth Certificate is also required to get your DL
E) Make sure you bring lots of fucking money
F. And a pickup is a commercial vehicle that has to be WEIGHED
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post


... Ride the Rockster over for it's VIN verification, which was another fiasco because it has no EPA Sticker but luckily when the counter guy processed the paperwork he didn't care and gave me my tag. ...
look on the bright side. now you'll be able to split lanes with it.



oh!! and what year is the KX? after 2000(?) they only red stickered two smokes, so if you got a green sticker, count your blessings.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
look on the bright side. now you'll be able to split lanes with it.

oh!! and what year is the KX? after 2000(?) they only red stickered two smokes, so if you got a green sticker, count your blessings.
Yeah legally be able to lane split is nice! I generally try to get as far away from the traffic as I can though.

my KX is a 2001 I think the cut off is 2002 sucks not being able to ride all summer long if you got a red sticker bike WTF?
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Apple Valley, Calif
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Yeah legally be able to lane split is nice! I generally try to get as far away from the traffic as I can though.

my KX is a 2001 I think the cut off is 2002 sucks not being able to ride all summer long if you got a red sticker bike WTF?
Not true. There are a number of places you can ride with a red sticker. You will especially like riding up in the mountains above Kennedy Meadows. Here is a link to the rules:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad...tm#anchor19838

and Kennedy Meadows:

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_07c1.htm

where Fish Creek and Troy Meadows are the two improved campgrounds you can use. Note that you cannot ride the asphalt on anything other that a street legal vehicle. The rangers also do inspections, so you want to make sure you have your registration and a spark arrestor on your bike, that has the USFS stamp on it.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,454
On the driver's license, the reason they can't just print them out will be clear when you get it. The new CA driver licenses have (not exagerrating) eleventy billion security features in them. My renewal took six weeks to show up. My wife's still hasn't, she's driving on an expired license right now...
__________________
-Scott- MotoGearGrinder.com
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
On the driver's license, the reason they can't just print them out will be clear when you get it. The new CA driver licenses have (not exagerrating) eleventy billion security features in them. My renewal took six weeks to show up. My wife's still hasn't, she's driving on an expired license right now...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Rogue_Ryder OP
速 Flat Biller 速
 
Rogue_Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,646
WTF is the point of all the security features?

The DMV doesn't care if you are a citizen or speak English so it seems they'll give a license to anyone. Seems like a lot of hassle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
Not true. There are a number of places you can ride with a red sticker. You will especially like riding up in the mountains above Kennedy Meadows. Here is a link to the rules:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad...tm#anchor19838

and Kennedy Meadows:

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_07c1.htm

where Fish Creek and Troy Meadows are the two improved campgrounds you can use. Note that you cannot ride the asphalt on anything other that a street legal vehicle. The rangers also do inspections, so you want to make sure you have your registration and a spark arrestor on your bike, that has the USFS stamp on it.
Thanks for the info!
__________________
Braaaap!!!!
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015