ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #91
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkenduro
north main was closed, fuckers. should have gone to palomar after all, oh well.
They will always close these trails when there is a threat of rain, Santa Ana's or fire. This is normal and warranted. I've been riding these trails for years and support this to keep the area nice. But most of all, so morons who don't know their limits don't go up and hurt themselves too often and get the area closed for good. Those people are the true fuckers and could ruin it for all of us.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #92
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
im not trying to say there wrong closing the road, it just sucks that they just opened a lot of that area again and it rains. hopefully the roads will open soon, or im going to take a day trip to ocotillo.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #93
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
What are the chances it will be open for Sunday?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #94
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkenduro
im not trying to say there wrong closing the road
I am.

ANF and SBNF are open after rain. Hell ANF opened BECAUSE of rain:
http://montrosesar.org/latimes110902.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
But most of all, so morons who don't know their limits don't go up and hurt themselves too often and get the area closed for good.
People die and get injured on the 74 all the time for the same reason, I personally don't see that as being any different. Point, laugh, call them a dumb ass, then carry on as normal. Just bill them for any emergency response. Morons will surpass their limits rain or shine. One might cite California's retarded liability laws as being the culprit but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the districts.

Admittedly I'm a bit aggravated. I was planning on riding this weekend and I love riding immediately after it rains for obvious reasons, guess I'll have to slab it up to LA or out to San Bernadino to join those guys. I just don't understand how Cleveland is somehow fundamentally different in that rain is a show stopper.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #95
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
I am.

Admittedly I'm a bit aggravated. I was planning on riding this weekend and I love riding immediately after it rains for obvious reasons, guess I'll have to slab it up to LA or out to San Bernadino to join those guys. I just don't understand how Cleveland is somehow fundamentally different in that rain is a show stopper.
I agree with everything you say. However, I've been riding that area since Escape Country was around and what I'm telling you is what occurs when people get out of control, nothing more. So, if that's what they're going to do when people get out of control, then let it get closed for rain, wind, and fire. Get on your bike and ride about 45 minutes north to the Crest.

SB is our little bit of riding heaven that we can use for just a few hours or even a day. However, some people just can't ride and that's a fact. I can't tell you how many times I've helped pull bikes uo from going over cliffs and ledges, or how many times I've seen people seriously injured up there.

Once again, I agree, let's point and laugh and make examples, but like I'm saying they'll just close the place if this happens too much. So let them close the area and I'll just ride to the Crest, or over to Cleghorn.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #96
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
SBNF/CNF OHV Training

Ditto to what is here. Debra is hooking her training up with SBNF for obvious reasons. Due to the greater area and longer experience time, CNF MC/OHV Patrol Volunteers will now need to attend the SBNF training before being issued USFS Helmet Skins for patrol use in CNF.

Even your esteemed senior patroller, myself, is required to go, so hopefully we will have enough notice before the next training session and we'll have a good OC turnourt.

CNF will have regular Volunteer training this winter, sometime in January at a location in OC. This is mandatory to attend every two years as a minimum.

Stay Tuned!

Personally, I am currently in Northern Nevada getting ready for a 'Polar Bear' ride. Pics to follow... Brrrr..... It snowed here yesterday...

Pointman

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthatcactus
OHV Training

The next session of the OHV Host Orientation training (consisting of 3 sessions) will be offered beginning in early winter. This is held in conjunction with San Bernadino National Forest.
Additionally, Annual Volunteer Training is scheduled for Saturday, January 31. It will be held at the Community College at Jamboree and Chapman. Annual Training is mandatory.

Contact
Debra Clarke - Wilderness / Trails Manager District Volunteer Coordinator Cleveland NF, Trabuco Ranger District
1147 East Sixth Street
Corona, CA 92879
(951) 736-1811 x 3227
(951) 736-3002 fax
email: drclarke@fs.fed.us
Debra Clarke of the Forest Servise
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #97
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Anybody know if the Silverwood gate was open today? I may head up there Sunday morning about 6 to 7 am. If it's open, I will have pics. If it's closed, I'm headin home for more beer!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #98
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
Anybody know if the Silverwood gate was open today? I may head up there Sunday morning about 6 to 7 am. If it's open, I will have pics. If it's closed, I'm headin home for more beer!
Let me know what you find open. I may get out later tomorrow.

thx.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #99
luv2race
Confused

Hey Marty, just got home from an 80 mile loop. Maple Springs gate is closed and will stay closed til about Wednesday per ranger Dave. I'll post my pics after breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk
Let me know what you find open. I may get out later tomorrow.

thx.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #100
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Is everything else open? Plan to go up Skyline to the peak.

thx.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #101
luv2race
Confused

I was up at 5:15 a.m. and ready to ride by 6 a.m. I was looking forward to a beautiful day, heard the Santa Ana's were coming so the sky was going to be clear. My goal was the top of Saddleback Mountain..

On a beautiful day, you can see from the San Bernardino Mountains to the ocean from the top of Saddleback, but I was worried when I started my ride in the misty fog.

I came out of the fog on the east side of Orange and it was clear and 10 degrees warmer by the time I reached the 241. This is looking west just past the 241 on Santiago Canyon Road and the sun is not up yet.

Orange County's version of Vasquez Rocks, taken from Blackstar Canyon Road. It turned out to be a nice morning.

The wanna-be beast........

Blackstar ends, so I head back and hang a left on Silverado Canyon. Within a mile or 2, I see the sign hoping they forgot to take it down.

It was a great ride up the canyon to the gate, no traffic and a clear road until I got here............Ranger Dave said it should be open by Wednesday.

I was going to head home, but I'm only an hour into a ride, so I head south on Santiago Canyon Rd and cruise through Modjeska Canyon. This road is steeper then it looks.

After Modjeska, I head south again on Santiago and hang a left at Cooks Corner, Live Oak Canyon Rd. The road is covered with trees, nice and twisty and nobody on it!

I get to old reliable Holy Jim Canyon. I have never seen this road closed, so I have to check it out.

First puddle I saw was huge, didn't feel like swimming so I went around.

I saw 1 guy on an XR, a few trucks and that was it. Here are some canyon pics. It was wet back there and the traction was great. Got to the end by the cabins, turned around and came back the same way.

Although my goal was not accomplished, it sure felt good to get out and ride! A little over 80 miles in 3 1/2 hours, making breakfast by 10.

Hopefully next weekend I will get here!

luv2race screwed with this post 11-30-2008 at 02:58 PM
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #102
luv2race
Confused

I'm not sure what else might be open, but from what Dave the ranger said, it sounds like the gate is closed at the end of the pavement on North Main Divide as well. I don't know about the Corona side either, but he said if I want to get to the top, I'd have to hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk
Is everything else open? Plan to go up Skyline to the peak.

thx.

luv2race screwed with this post 11-30-2008 at 02:55 PM
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #103
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

All gates were closed. What a load of crap. I won't go down there anymore unless i'm sure the gates are open.

Luckily they never close Lytle creek.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #104
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
I'm not sure what else might be open, but from what Dave the ranger said, it sounds like the gate is closed at the end of the pavement on North Main Divide as well. I don't know about the Corona side either, but he said if I want to get to the top, I'd have to hike.
All the gates were closed. Was up there with Starchaser and Espi and could not get by any of the gates. We did end up on some nice forest roads and ended up in Fallbrook but don't ask me how we got there I was just following

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #105
luv2race
Confused

When did you guys go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2race
All the gates were closed. Was up there with Starchaser and Espi and could not get by any of the gates. We did end up on some nice forest roads and ended up in Fallbrook but don't ask me how we got there I was just following