Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #16
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
I just put Ohlins on my 1100: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264586

It's worth the money, you won't regret it Just make sure you get springs that match your weight (plus whatever you intend to carry).
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 AM   #17
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
We are an Ohlins Dealer. The more expensive rear shock for the GS has an external reservoir with an independent compression adjuster, is length adjustable and uses a secondary damper piston and chamber to give a position sensitive damping profile. The lower end shock may be a good fit since it costs less and the Ohlins front shock has none of those features anyhow. We have upgraded the front shocks to the Team Motorrad Race Bikes so that the also have a remote reservoir with adjustability. Those mods are available through the team.

If you replace the stock shocks before they are shot, you get a nice performance improvement, a set of shocks that will last forever with regular service and if you sell your bike, swap the shocks back and sell the Ohlins set to another rider with a great retention of the shocks value. By far the most cost effective performance mod.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #18
DRTRDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
NC Rick thanks a lot for the info. Greatly appreciated. I think I am going to go with the 543 rear.
DRTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
DRTRDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Question Canister Removal?

I talked to Ohlins' shock tech today about the BM 543. They stated it cannot be installed without removal of the cannister. I know 11XX GS owners have removed the cannister in the past but what about warranty issues? Would like the 543 but won't risk warranty for it. The local dealers are all closed on Mondays so any experience out there?
DRTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #20
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,840
I love my ohlins. My stock bike felt ok with just me on it, when I would put the gf on the back, it felt like a 64 ford ford wagon thru the turns. I just spent a long weekend riding the nc mountains (new ohlins on) and couldn't be happier with the new shocks........... Still , the best farkle is the kaoko.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTRDR
I talked to Ohlins' shock tech today about the BM 543. They stated it cannot be installed without removal of the cannister. I know 11XX GS owners have removed the cannister in the past but what about warranty issues? Would like the 543 but won't risk warranty for it. The local dealers are all closed on Mondays so any experience out there?
There is no warranty issue with removing the canister, so long as you do it right. The local dealers here will remove it for you if you ask them.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #22
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
If you replace the stock shocks before they are shot, you get a nice performance improvement, a set of shocks that will last forever with regular service
Someone else asked but I don't think it was answered - how often do they need servicing?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
Someone else asked but I don't think it was answered - how often do they need servicing?
It depends on several factors. If you are a heavy rider, ride off road a lot, heavily load your bike and ride hard, as low as 15K miles. On the other hand, many go as high as 40K miles before needing it.

Jim
Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #24
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, that's about what I thought. I'm somewhere in between those 2 extremes so probably 30-40,000km. Thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

30,000 miles is a lot. The shock performance will suffer and the particulates that accumulate in the oil embed themselves into the Teflon coated piston rings, causing wear that you would not normally have. I recently did a set for a BMW rider with that many miles and one of the two shocks was really in dire need and the other was not so bad. weird. It is not expensive to service the shocks and it will keep them working like new for life. Another issue is that if you travel a lot, it stinks to blow a seal during a trip. At higher miles, not only is there the wear issue for the quadra ring and shaft bushing, we see a lot of dirt packed in there after 15-20K miles. Renewing the shaft seal (quad ring, anti-extrusion ring and shaft scraper) components is an inexpensive preventative step.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
30,000 miles is a lot. The shock performance will suffer and the particulates that accumulate in the oil embed themselves into the Teflon coated piston rings, causing wear that you would not normally have. I recently did a set for a BMW rider with that many miles and one of the two shocks was really in dire need and the other was not so bad. weird. It is not expensive to service the shocks and it will keep them working like new for life. Another issue is that if you travel a lot, it stinks to blow a seal during a trip. At higher miles, not only is there the wear issue for the quadra ring and shaft bushing, we see a lot of dirt packed in there after 15-20K miles. Renewing the shaft seal (quad ring, anti-extrusion ring and shaft scraper) components is an inexpensive preventative step.
If I sent mine in at 15K miles, I would be rebuilding them nearly twice a year.

Not disputing you, just sayin'!

Jim
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Euh !?

I have riden 45000 km to date this year. More than 20000 km of small and tough little gravel road. Kind of road you never meet anyone. My bike has now 65000 km.

I still have the original OEM suspension. Never rebuilt it.

Doctor, Am I normal ?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
cat12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Worth every penny. Here is the link to my review: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249060

"Only those who go too far can find out how far one can go" - T.S. Eliot
cat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

It took me a while to post back and it is my first attempt at an attachment. I ride fairly hard but here are some shims from my shock with 15,000 miles. i waited too long, that crap will not clean off and shims needed replacing. These are out of a Penske shock
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrader
The difference is so dramatic that you won't believe it. Youre BMW will now handle like a firm sport bike on rails.
No, no it won't. Yes, it is a dramatic difference. But Ohlins will not transform a GS into a firm sport-bike.

The GS has nearly 9" of suspension travel. A Gixxer has 3", give or take. There simply is not way to make 9" of travel as precise as a sportbike with 3" of travel.

I am running Ohlins with "+2" spring rates. I weight 190#, the shocks are weighted for a 240# man. I have compression dialed in to around 5 clicks from max...rebound damping set to match. About 4 turns in on pre-load.

Is the bike firm and controlled? Yes. Is it a sportbike? Fuck no. Not with 9" of travel. I'd need springs for a 400# man to reach that level of precision and even then there would still be more shock flex.

Truth: Ohlins are a HUGE difference, but they do NOT transform a GS into a sportbike. If you want a sportbike, buy a sportbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrader
No wallow or twitchiness in the front end anymore. For instance, a moderate 55mph sweeper on the interstate at 85mph is extremely sure footed even with buffeting from other vehicles. If you are a non-aggressive rider, it might not be that dramatic for you. You feel the road with Ohlins. I wouldnt describe it as a smooth, isolated ride. It's a tight, confident precision feel: a little stiffer, with lightning fast rebound recovery and non jarring but accurate compression for the conditions.

Kurt
No denying the improvement of Ohlins. It is quite a big improvement. However I do need to point out that IF one were to stiffen the bike up to the point of being "sportbike" like in handling, then the bike would be near useless Off-Highway.

Ohlins on the GS improves the ride in all categories, from road to off-highway to gravel and rocks. Ohlins gives better control and confidence in every aspect of the ride.

But it won't turn a GS into a sportbike.

(I wish it would...but then it wouldn't be a GS anymore!)

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote