ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #31
Bob Griffin
Looking for riding buddy
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Galt, Ca
Oddometer: 20
Kyle racing in Sand City, Ca has ohlins for 1199.00 plus 30.00 shipping. They will spring them for your weight before sending them to you. Nice people to work with.
Bob Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
musca999
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas (but not for long)
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Euh !?

I have riden 45000 km to date this year. More than 20000 km of small and tough little gravel road. Kind of road you never meet anyone. My bike has now 65000 km.

I still have the original OEM suspension. Never rebuilt it.

Doctor, Am I normal ?
Same here...45k miles and still on original shocks. How do you know when the shocks are finished? I guess if you don't then you probably won't appreciate the ohlins anyway.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
musca999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
johnjen
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,566
Perhaps not. It depends more upon if you tend to push the bike during situations where handling is getting closer to the edge of the capabilities of the bike or not.


Some people who have never experienced a really tweaked suspension are shocked with how well the bike can handle. Others don't notice much if any change.

JJ
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 400
Ohlins offroad?

I;ve seen a lot of great comments on how the Ohlins works on the road but not many on how people like it offroad. I have an 09 and was thinking of installing the Ohlins front and rear shock to inprove offroad handling. Comments?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Perhaps not. It depends more upon if you tend to push the bike during situations where handling is getting closer to the edge of the capabilities of the bike or not.




JJ
Yes, absolutely! Recently bought a ESA equipped '11 GSA to replace my '06 GSA w/Ohlins. I took one of my usual routes that includes a section where the bike comes over a rise followed by a hard left hand bend. As I flicked the stock suspended GSA into the turn, A move my '06 handles with ease , I had that sinking feeling that I was headed off the road as the rail like precision of my '06 was gone, replaced by needing most of the available asphalt to complete the turn. Very scary!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
Z50Pilot
Sparky
 
Z50Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Columbia, MD
Oddometer: 243
worn out shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musca999 View Post
Same here...45k miles and still on original shocks. How do you know when the shocks are finished? I guess if you don't then you probably won't appreciate the ohlins anyway.

At 45K the stockers are probably gone. It's like gaining weight, it happens very gradually so you don't notice it. Once you get a new set of shocks on the bike you will notice a big difference. See if you can ride a new bike to compare.
__________________
PJ

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #37
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 13,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
I;ve seen a lot of great comments on how the Ohlins works on the road but not many on how people like it offroad. I have an 09 and was thinking of installing the Ohlins front and rear shock to inprove offroad handling. Comments?
I tore my skid plate rubbers all the time when riding with the stockers(2005 WP)
With the Φhlins only once and that was at Moab.
Great upgrade both on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50Pilot View Post
At 45K the stockers are probably gone. It's like gaining weight, it happens very gradually so you don't notice it. Once you get a new set of shocks on the bike you will notice a big difference. See if you can ride a new bike to compare.
Mine where replaced at 36K.
The difference cornering was night and day.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #38
icebox
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana
Oddometer: 1,007
inseam

If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my WP shocks on many days. Age, 29" inseam, and a bad knee don't agree with a taller, stiffer bike. That, and the number of stupid people in rental cars means you don't get to enjoy the "benefits" all that often anyway.
__________________
motorcycles are like fly rods, you need way more than one.
icebox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my WP shocks on many days. Age, 29" inseam, and a bad knee don't agree with a taller, stiffer bike. That, and the number of stupid people in rental cars means you don't get to enjoy the "benefits" all that often anyway.
I have a 36" inseam, so a bit taller suspension won't bother me to much. Thanks for the info.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
johnjen
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my WP shocks on many days. Age, 29" inseam, and a bad knee don't agree with a taller, stiffer bike. That, and the number of stupid people in rental cars means you don't get to enjoy the "benefits" all that often anyway.
You do realize that the sag is adjustable right?

And in fact should be dialed in for you and your bike. If you want more than ≈ 30% sag just adjust the settings to make it happen.

JJ
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
icebox
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana
Oddometer: 1,007
sag

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
You do realize that the sag is adjustable right?

And in fact should be dialed in for you and your bike. If you want more than ≈ 30% sag just adjust the settings to make it happen.

JJ

Yes, sag, preload, rebound, are all adjustable. Why else would you bother? On most days I have the shock as soft as it will get. My Ohlins purveyor basically said if I wanted the bike to be the stock height that Ohlins has a shorter shock. But did not offer to exchange, he had no use for a shock with 500 miles on it. So next time it will be Wilbers, or maybe TTs line of WP shocks.
__________________
motorcycles are like fly rods, you need way more than one.
icebox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
johnjen
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Yes, sag, preload, rebound, are all adjustable. Why else would you bother? On most days I have the shock as soft as it will get. My Ohlins purveyor basically said if I wanted the bike to be the stock height that Ohlins has a shorter shock. But did not offer to exchange, he had no use for a shock with 500 miles on it. So next time it will be Wilbers, or maybe TTs line of WP shocks.
By "soft as it will get" are you talking about the spring preload via the knob or the spring preset via the large set of locknuts on the shock body?

JJ
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #43
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nitzo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Daytona
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo View Post
I love my ohlins. My stock bike felt ok with just me on it, when I would put the gf on the back, it felt like a 64 ford ford wagon thru the turns. I just spent a long weekend riding the nc mountains (new ohlins on) and couldn't be happier with the new shocks........... Still , the best farkle is the kaoko.

I still feel this way. I liked them so much on my 07 that the Ohlins were the very first thing I put on my 09 when I got it..........
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush.
When you purchase shocks, You have at least two choices of springs that will work for your weight and intended use. If you want plush, simply choose lighter springs. If you value being able to load the bike with everything needed for a extended trip and ride it off road, then you need to spring the bike accordingly.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
semaja2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
semaja2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: South Australia
Oddometer: 235
I have been thinking my OEM ESA shocks on my GSA08 are dead as they don't seem to have any dampening left in them :(

I was thinking of either rebuilding the OEM ones with a local shock dealer for a few hundred, or buying the Ohlins ESA shocks but at $3,000AUD it's a hard choice and really would like to know if its going to make my bike ride smooth
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014