Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #31
Bob Griffin
Looking for riding buddy

Oddometer: 20
Kyle racing in Sand City, Ca has ohlins for 1199.00 plus 30.00 shipping. They will spring them for your weight before sending them to you. Nice people to work with.
Bob Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
musca999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Euh !?

I have riden 45000 km to date this year. More than 20000 km of small and tough little gravel road. Kind of road you never meet anyone. My bike has now 65000 km.

I still have the original OEM suspension. Never rebuilt it.

Doctor, Am I normal ?
Same here...45k miles and still on original shocks. How do you know when the shocks are finished? I guess if you don't then you probably won't appreciate the ohlins anyway.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,566
Perhaps not. It depends more upon if you tend to push the bike during situations where handling is getting closer to the edge of the capabilities of the bike or not.

Some people who have never experienced a really tweaked suspension are shocked with how well the bike can handle. Others don't notice much if any change.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Ohlins offroad?

I;ve seen a lot of great comments on how the Ohlins works on the road but not many on how people like it offroad. I have an 09 and was thinking of installing the Ohlins front and rear shock to inprove offroad handling. Comments?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Perhaps not. It depends more upon if you tend to push the bike during situations where handling is getting closer to the edge of the capabilities of the bike or not.

JJ
Yes, absolutely! Recently bought a ESA equipped '11 GSA to replace my '06 GSA w/Ohlins. I took one of my usual routes that includes a section where the bike comes over a rise followed by a hard left hand bend. As I flicked the stock suspended GSA into the turn, A move my '06 handles with ease , I had that sinking feeling that I was headed off the road as the rail like precision of my '06 was gone, replaced by needing most of the available asphalt to complete the turn. Very scary!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
Z50Pilot
Sparky

Oddometer: 243
worn out shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musca999 View Post
Same here...45k miles and still on original shocks. How do you know when the shocks are finished? I guess if you don't then you probably won't appreciate the ohlins anyway.

At 45K the stockers are probably gone. It's like gaining weight, it happens very gradually so you don't notice it. Once you get a new set of shocks on the bike you will notice a big difference. See if you can ride a new bike to compare.

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #37
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
I;ve seen a lot of great comments on how the Ohlins works on the road but not many on how people like it offroad. I have an 09 and was thinking of installing the Ohlins front and rear shock to inprove offroad handling. Comments?
I tore my skid plate rubbers all the time when riding with the stockers(2005 WP)
With the Φhlins only once and that was at Moab.
Great upgrade both on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50Pilot View Post
At 45K the stockers are probably gone. It's like gaining weight, it happens very gradually so you don't notice it. Once you get a new set of shocks on the bike you will notice a big difference. See if you can ride a new bike to compare.
Mine where replaced at 36K.
The difference cornering was night and day.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #38
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
inseam

If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my WP shocks on many days. Age, 29" inseam, and a bad knee don't agree with a taller, stiffer bike. That, and the number of stupid people in rental cars means you don't get to enjoy the "benefits" all that often anyway.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my WP shocks on many days. Age, 29" inseam, and a bad knee don't agree with a taller, stiffer bike. That, and the number of stupid people in rental cars means you don't get to enjoy the "benefits" all that often anyway.
I have a 36" inseam, so a bit taller suspension won't bother me to much. Thanks for the info.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:
You do realize that the sag is adjustable right?

And in fact should be dialed in for you and your bike. If you want more than ≈ 30% sag just adjust the settings to make it happen.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
sag

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
You do realize that the sag is adjustable right?

And in fact should be dialed in for you and your bike. If you want more than ≈ 30% sag just adjust the settings to make it happen.

JJ

Yes, sag, preload, rebound, are all adjustable. Why else would you bother? On most days I have the shock as soft as it will get. My Ohlins purveyor basically said if I wanted the bike to be the stock height that Ohlins has a shorter shock. But did not offer to exchange, he had no use for a shock with 500 miles on it. So next time it will be Wilbers, or maybe TTs line of WP shocks.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:
Yes, sag, preload, rebound, are all adjustable. Why else would you bother? On most days I have the shock as soft as it will get. My Ohlins purveyor basically said if I wanted the bike to be the stock height that Ohlins has a shorter shock. But did not offer to exchange, he had no use for a shock with 500 miles on it. So next time it will be Wilbers, or maybe TTs line of WP shocks.
By "soft as it will get" are you talking about the spring preload via the knob or the spring preset via the large set of locknuts on the shock body?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #43
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo View Post
I love my ohlins. My stock bike felt ok with just me on it, when I would put the gf on the back, it felt like a 64 ford ford wagon thru the turns. I just spent a long weekend riding the nc mountains (new ohlins on) and couldn't be happier with the new shocks........... Still , the best farkle is the kaoko.

I still feel this way. I liked them so much on my 07 that the Ohlins were the very first thing I put on my 09 when I got it..........
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
If you are inseam challenged, be carefull with Ohlins suspension. Like the shocks, but the bike sits taller, and sags less. Ride is taught, but no longer plush.
When you purchase shocks, You have at least two choices of springs that will work for your weight and intended use. If you want plush, simply choose lighter springs. If you value being able to load the bike with everything needed for a extended trip and ride it off road, then you need to spring the bike accordingly.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
semaja2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I have been thinking my OEM ESA shocks on my GSA08 are dead as they don't seem to have any dampening left in them :(

I was thinking of either rebuilding the OEM ones with a local shock dealer for a few hundred, or buying the Ohlins ESA shocks but at $3,000AUD it's a hard choice and really would like to know if its going to make my bike ride smooth
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote