ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #46
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
I've never had aftermarket shocks but I do see people saying they're having them rebuilt every 30-50,000 miles. That being said I've put 112,000 on stock 2001 1150gs shocks and 45,000 miles on my 09 1200gs with never a problem or feeling the need to have more better suspension. It's been my experience the stock BMW shocks are reliable or have been for me. I never venture offroad though. I do a lot of gravel roads but no trails. My brother;s Multistrada has ohlins and I can't tell much difference. Sure the bike handles much better in the twisties but while riding it, it reminds me how much I love my telelever. It doesn't leave me wishing for a new suspension on my GS. I'm 6'0 210#s. I'm not saying don't buy new suspension because I don't have any experience with the results. It may make the bike feel different.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #47
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaja2 View Post
I have been thinking my OEM ESA shocks on my GSA08 are dead as they don't seem to have any dampening left in them :(

I was thinking of either rebuilding the OEM ones with a local shock dealer for a few hundred, or buying the Ohlins ESA shocks but at $3,000AUD it's a hard choice and really would like to know if its going to make my bike ride smooth
I don't have any experience with ESA shocks. But the Ohlins I do have are WAY better than stock shocks, in EVER way.

If handling is important to you, if enjoying the ride is something you can and do appreciate, then the single greatest improvement is tweako shocks. Stock shocks that are rebuilt only get you back to that level of handling performance.

JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #48
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
I've never had aftermarket shocks but I do see people saying they're having them rebuilt every 30-50,000 miles. That being said I've put 112,000 on stock 2001 1150gs shocks and 45,000 miles on my 09 1200gs with never a problem or feeling the need to have more better suspension. It's been my experience the stock BMW shocks are reliable or have been for me. I never venture offroad though. I do a lot of gravel roads but no trails. My brother;s Multistrada has ohlins and I can't tell much difference. Sure the bike handles much better in the twisties but while riding it, it reminds me how much I love my telelever. It doesn't leave me wishing for a new suspension on my GS. I'm 6'0 210#s. I'm not saying don't buy new suspension because I don't have any experience with the results. It may make the bike feel different.
Probably the best way I can let you know what the difference between stock shocks and properly dialed in tweako shocks is this.

I don't steer the bike around corners, I think where I want to be and that's what happens. If a rock or tar snake needs to be avoided, again I don't steer around it I see myself changing my line in the corner and that's what happens.

The amount of the 'pucker factor' has also been reduced by a huge amount, and the worry about picking a line that won't cause the bike to 'react poorly', again is also greatly reduced.

These are just some of the aspects to a properly dialed in suspension.

At least for me this is why they are so important and I'll always opt for this level of performance.

JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #49
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Oddometer: 51
It's interesting to me that nobody here has mentioned the other brands offered for this application: Wilburs and Yacugar. I recently had this discussion with several folks including Dan Kyle (Dan Kyle Racing) and Ted Porter (Beemershop). My instinctive reaction was to reach for the Ohlins as I've had great luck with them at the track and on my street bikes. In then end Ted talked me into the Yacugar which I just got and need to put on (will report on this in another thread). Cost is the same. Here's a basic boil down of the various discussions that led me to this decision:
-The Ohlins needs more frequent rebuilding (one a year versus once every two years per mfg).
-Ohlins is a compromise if you do varied riding. It's much more of an off the shelf item that the Wilburs or Yacugar which are built for your uses. For me that is 40% one up, 40% two up, 10% two up with luggage, 10% ride like an idiot. I spoke specifically to Dan Kyle about this and he agreed that the Ohlins would be stiff for me one up and soft two up.
-Insert large discussion with Ted Porter about shaft diameter, seal size, and aluminum versus steel construction. Cliff notes version is that Ohlins has some weak points here and they gain performance in these areas by sacrificing longevity.
-Downside of the Yacugar is they have just preload and rebound but no compression. I'd have thought for the same $1500 I'd get compression adjustment?

I'll get them mounted this week and do some testing under varied conditions. It'll be easy to beat the stockers I'm sure especially since they have 91k on them. Anyways I'd be interested to hear what anybody else has to say about these products.

Cheers,
Jim
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #50
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by (I^2)R/746 View Post
It's interesting to me that nobody here has mentioned the other brands offered for this application: Wilburs and Yacugar. I recently had this discussion with several folks including Dan Kyle (Dan Kyle Racing) and Ted Porter (Beemershop). My instinctive reaction was to reach for the Ohlins as I've had great luck with them at the track and on my street bikes. In then end Ted talked me into the Yacugar which I just got and need to put on (will report on this in another thread). Cost is the same. Here's a basic boil down of the various discussions that led me to this decision:
-The Ohlins needs more frequent rebuilding (one a year versus once every two years per mfg).
-Ohlins is a compromise if you do varied riding. It's much more of an off the shelf item that the Wilburs or Yacugar which are built for your uses. For me that is 40% one up, 40% two up, 10% two up with luggage, 10% ride like an idiot. I spoke specifically to Dan Kyle about this and he agreed that the Ohlins would be stiff for me one up and soft two up.
-Insert large discussion with Ted Porter about shaft diameter, seal size, and aluminum versus steel construction. Cliff notes version is that Ohlins has some weak points here and they gain performance in these areas by sacrificing longevity.
-Downside of the Yacugar is they have just preload and rebound but no compression. I'd have thought for the same $1500 I'd get compression adjustment?

I'll get them mounted this week and do some testing under varied conditions. It'll be easy to beat the stockers I'm sure especially since they have 91k on them. Anyways I'd be interested to hear what anybody else has to say about these products.

Cheers,
Jim
Sounds like you drank the koolaid.
http://www.yacugar.com/news/sport-ne...cugar-usa.html
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #51
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
How much does it cost to rebuild the ohlins? Is it just some seals and oil? Something that can be done at home?
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #52
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,199
Depending upon what needs to be done $2-300.

As for 'needing' to be done once a year… Only if your paranoid and/or a perfectionist and/or a racer.

I went 4-5 years with out a problem.

But since these shocks are designed to be rebuilt and modified they don't need to be cut open and then re-welded back together.

And yes there are several aftermarket shocks to choose from. That is why I refer to them as tweako. And any high performance device usually does require more maintenance instead of replacement.

And it's been my experience that the old stock shocks were gonzo after 7-10K miles of use. That isn't to say they have to be replaced but their effectiveness when compared to when they are new is less than desirable.

And for those who aren't familiar or don't push the bike this will usually only be noticed AFTER the old shocks are replaced with new and AFTER they have been dialed in (if possible).


And if you have the special tools and a proper spring compressor and access to the seals etc. then yes you could do this at home, if you know how. It's not magic, but then it's not exactly common knowledge either.

Just my 2˘

JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #53
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Depending upon what needs to be done $2-300.

And if you have the special tools and a proper spring compressor and access to the seals etc. then yes you could do this at home, if you know how. It's not magic, but then it's not exactly common knowledge either.

JJ
I assume you mean $200-$300 for BOTH shocks, as individual shocks are $100-$150 each to rebuild--just to clarify.

You'd spend more on tools than you'd ever save on rebuilds in a lifetime. They have to be flushed & pressurized with nitrogen. And I doubt Ohlins or anyone else would give you access to their knowledge base for repairs.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #54
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
I assume you mean $200-$300 for BOTH shocks, as individual shocks are $100-$150 each to rebuild--just to clarify.

snip


JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
I assume you mean $200-$300 for BOTH shocks, as individual shocks are $100-$150 each to rebuild--just to clarify.

You'd spend more on tools than you'd ever save on rebuilds in a lifetime. They have to be flushed & pressurized with nitrogen. And I doubt Ohlins or anyone else would give you access to their knowledge base for repairs.
Sounds like aftermarket is not good for a daily rider. To have to send your suspension off for a few weeks every year isn't feasible for someone who uses their bike as primary transport.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #56
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Sounds like aftermarket is not good for a daily rider. To have to send your suspension off for a few weeks every year isn't feasible for someone who uses their bike as primary transport.
If you commute on the bike, you'll probably get 30K between rebuilds. Ohlins generally takes 3-5 days for a rebuild. Even when their performance degrades, they'll still handle a hell of a lot better than OEM shocks with the same mileage. Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #57
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Sounds like aftermarket is not good for a daily rider. To have to send your suspension off for a few weeks every year isn't feasible for someone who uses their bike as primary transport.

Depending on how hard you abuse the bike, between 25-40K miles. Pretty much as long as the stockers are worth having.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #58
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Sounds like aftermarket is not good for a daily rider. To have to send your suspension off for a few weeks every year isn't feasible for someone who uses their bike as primary transport.
If you've never experienced a tweaked setup for handling, and don't have any desire to, then there are less expensive options (stock or other lower cost aftermarket shocks).

But if you can appreciate what a tweaked suspension can do it is worth the expense. And as I stated I went 4-5 YEARS between rebuilds. And at the time most of my miles were commuting, with a long trip or 2 mixed in.

JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #59
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
If you commute on the bike, you'll probably get 30K between rebuilds. Ohlins generally takes 3-5 days for a rebuild. Even when their performance degrades, they'll still handle a hell of a lot better than OEM shocks with the same mileage. Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm sorry I'm not trying to make an argument. I put around 20k per year on my bikes (I have two bikes at the moment so roughly half that now); I very rarely drive my truck. I bought my GMC new in 2001 and it has 35,000 miles on it . I put 112,000 on an 1150gs in 4 years once; (best bike I ever owned as far as reliability). Anyway I didn't realize the turn around was so quick. I figured it would take a few weeks to ship rebuild and reship whilst the bike is out of commission. I own a 1200gs and I have a Multistrada 1200 with Ohlins. Of course the Multi handles magnitudes better than the GS. I wonder how much that has to do with the suspension. I figured it was geometry and wheels but to be honest I never have really thought much about suspension. In all my years I've never upgraded or rebuilt suspension. Since it's a slow digression I guess I don;t notice it but you guys do have me thinking if the GS needs an upgrade now. I might try to find a used set since they are so easily rebuilt. How hard is it to pull the suspension and remount it? I'm pretty handy but I usually (well always) let the dealer service my bikes. I never do farkles either. I've never once bought a farkle except tank bags and luggage. I'm still wearing the Langlitz Leathers I bought 15 years ago (thank god it would cost $2k to replace those leathers I paid $550-600 for).
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #60
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,077
It isn't hard at all: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Ohlins_Shock_Install.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014