Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Man those shocks do look good.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #62
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,375
Upgrading to Ohlins is worth it if you want it to handle better. Losing the ESA but gaining a much more sporting ride was worth it to me. I own a Multi as well and owned both bikes concurrently at one time.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Upgrading to Ohlins is worth it if you want it to handle better. Losing the ESA but gaining a much more sporting ride was worth it to me. I own a Multi as well and owned both bikes concurrently at one time.
Why lose ESA? Ohlins has an ESA version of their chocks for R1200GSA.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #64
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Why lose ESA? Ohlins has an ESA version of their chocks for R1200GSA.

'tis true, but a system that i personally would not pay up for given the inability to manually adjust the damping on either end. i simply don't care for "pre-adjusted/determined" ride modes.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #65
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,434
Quote:
'tis true, but a system that i personally would not pay up for given the inability to manually adjust the damping on either end. i simply don't care for "pre-adjusted/determined" ride modes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #66
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,009
If I keep my '12 with ESA past the warranty period I'll probably replace the shocks with regular Ohlins shocks. They are sublime on my 1150 and I never adjust anything except the rear preload when I ride two-up.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #67
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Took me a couple hours to get the shocks swapped on my 01 1150GS and I'd never done it. Think I can do it in an hour. There are certified suspension folks near me (Dan Kyle is about an hour away) and I could have the shocks done in a day if I wanted. So down time isn't really an issue if you need to get the suspension rebuilt.

As for frequency I find it's a miles and/or time thing. Typically about 50k or every three years to stay in good shape. I've had, on various bikes, products from: Ohlins, Fox, Progressive, Race Tech and Penske. They all seem similar enough for rebuild period. Exception is race stuff that gets done annual basis but that's racing.....

The Yacugar is actually Hyperpro (parts stamped with their name on them). First time trying this product. First impression is quite good but haven't done any two up and haven't dialed the sag. Rebound is super easy to play with as of course the rear preload. All the shocks for these bikes suck to set the sag. Gotta take them off.

All the little annoying bumps have disappeared and the bike feels well planted heeled over hitting bumps. Gotta do the "two up spirited ride" check and see if I drag pegs like I did with the stock. We shall see. So far they work well.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #68
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Why do you have to take them off to set the sag??
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #69
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Can we develope this a little more?

1) I understand the damping on the Ohlins ESA (Mechatronic) will be adjustable, not by the rider, but by any Ohlins dealer once they get the proper equipment. Apart from the uncertainty and/or PIA of waiting for this to happen and finding such a dealer, wouldn't you (eventually) have the best of all options? You would have multiple locked in riding modes tailored to your weight and riding conditions?

2) Also don't the ESA/Mechatronic shocks offer height adjustment (on-road vs. off-road settings) that the manually adjustible shocks can not? I can see the point of getting manually shocks set up just right and then limiting adjustments to pre-load when necessary, but for people who use their bikes both on and off road, isn't the height adjustability a real factor?

For the OP, I have 25k on my R1200GS with ESA. I was real happy with it until I put an Ohlins TTX on my Street Triple. The significant difference there has made me very unsatisfied with the BMW OEM. I can't say what the difference is between Ohlins and BMW OEM when new, but I would be surprised if you wouldn't see significant improvement upgrading early.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #70
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
Why do you have to take them off to set the sag??

Because you can't reach the locknut with the wrench.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #71
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwood99 View Post
Can we develope this a little more?

1) I understand the damping on the Ohlins ESA (Mechatronic) will be adjustable, not by the rider,.
as i said....

but hey, if you know differently, and want otherwise, go for it.

don't misunderstand what i'm saying either.....my last GS was Ohlins equipped front and rear......the absolute best (for me).
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

First test on the Yacugar appear to be a success. I did some initial settings that felt good (sag and rebound) for one up riding. Last weekend I took the girl 200 miles down Hwy 1 through Big Sur then back another 200. All I did was increase rear preload one setting and it worked so well she fell asleep on the back through the corners when following traffic. Very smooth, great adjustability. Appear to be just what I was looking for. I like the Ohlins on my other bikes (like the Duc M900 or DRZ400) but I think the Wilbers and Yacugar custom builds are better in this application.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #73
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Specific Question on Ohlins

NC Rick,
Pm'd you with a specific question about existing Ohlins on a new, used 2005 R1200GS when you get a chance.
Thanks much,
CLYeager

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon

BMW JEEP screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 03:28 PM Reason: Spelling error
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #74
OldandGrim
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have a 2006 R1200 GS Adventure NON ESA model with 45km, I am trying to come to some sort of understanding of how the suspension works or is meant to work.

So far the thread deals mainly with riding on road, where I am finding it hard to get to grips with the suspension is off road.

The fronts only adjustment is the preload and rear has preload, hard and soft (not that it seems to make much difference from one end of the adjustment to the other). I find the front hard to set up, would I be correct in stating that beyond setting the preload dependent on how much weight is on board that is it?

I find myself tying to adjust the preload to match the terrain which is not for all the little knowledge I have correct.

Yesterdays ride is a good example solo no luggage rutted gravel road preload set to minimum it seemed to be working quite well hit a hole (lots of them cant be avoided at times) it bottoms out hard. Ok add two clicks to the preload now copes with the bigger hits ok but now every stone and rut is being transferred through the bike. The rear is a little easyer to work with yet I still find myself adjusting the preload to try and match the terrain better, which I know is not the correct way of adjusting the suspension.

The suspension works well on road but off it seems to be a little whats the word lacking. Is there known mods to deal with this or am I missing some point or lacking in some knowledge. Is there a GS off road suspension 101?.
OldandGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #75
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandGrim View Post
I have a 2006 R1200 GS Adventure NON ESA model with 45km, I am trying to come to some sort of understanding of how the suspension works or is meant to work.
Get the Öhlins,end of problem.