Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
swjohnsey
Banned

Oddometer: 3,568
A towel is one of those unncecssary pieces of kit I eliminated from what I carry years ago. The Platypus collapseable containers are great.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
And your towel. Always have a towel.
and "Don't Panic"

I carry about a foot of rebar wire. A habit that I picked up from driving a '72 Chey pick up in high school. Coil it around a pencil and it is about as big as a Quarter and a 1/2 inch thick. Comes in handy when things break and you need something more substantial or heat resistant than a zip tie.

I have a D ring in my tank bag with a mini mag light, a small multi tool, digital air pressure gauge and a locking blade razor knife all attached to it. Makes it easy to find when you are groping around in the dark.

One thing that I find useful is a pencil with a couple of feet of electrical and duct tape wrapped aound it.

Thanks,
Ryan
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #18
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,407
Thumb Finally

Nice line of easy threads to help the new riders get up to speed.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #19
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD1
and "Don't Panic"

One thing that I find useful is a pencil with a couple of feet of electrical and duct tape wrapped aound it.

Thanks,
Ryan
I usually take the whole roll of electrical tape. It doesn't take up any more room than rerolling it. I also take a soldering iron and small VOM. I've used them in Chiapas, too. And the wiring diagram.

I also take my shop manuals for the KLR. I figure I can find a mechanic lots easier than the manuals. With them, a mech can figure out what is needed.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #20
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
On my two recent trips to Mexico, I hid duplicate essentials on the bike.

An emergency stash

Spare tarjeta on a separate account

And one of these, wrapped in a plastic bag and electrical taped on the frame. I was more paranoid about losing the key than I was the money or the credit card.

Also hidden on the bike are second copies of my passport, vehicle title, Mexican insurance, etc. I also made digital copies of those and emailed them to myself as attachments.

Culled most of these ideas from many threads around advrider
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #21
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot

I also take my shop manuals for the KLR. I figure I can find a mechanic lots easier than the manuals. With them, a mech can figure out what is needed.
If you have a Smartphone or PDA phone, you can put a .pdf of the manuals on an SD(or whatever your phone takes) card and use your phone to view/read it. I was able to get my entire F650 manual on one.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #22
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
If you have a Smartphone or PDA phone, you can put a .pdf of the manuals on an SD(or whatever your phone takes) card and use your phone to view/read it. I was able to get my entire F650 manual on one.
I don't know how smart my phone is, but it undoubtedly is smarter than me. I'll take your word that you can do that. Plus, I don't have the manuals on PDF, only paper.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #23
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
I don't know how smart my phone is, but it undoubtedly is smarter than me. I'll take your word that you can do that. Plus, I don't have the manuals on PDF, only paper.
I'm trying to get as simple as LR but have yet to. I'm very envious of the 2 of you that you both can travel so light and not 'need' the techno gadget crap that I'm so fond of. I tried leaving that stuff behind once.

Never again.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #24
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
I'm trying to get as simple as LR but have yet to. I'm very envious of the 2 of you that you both can travel so light and not 'need' the techno gadget crap that I'm so fond of. I tried leaving that stuff behind once.

Never again.
Oh, I don't know how much I go light. I still take the laptop, camera, GPS, that kind of thing. I'm thinking about paring down my load for this winter. My poor KLR looks like the Beverly Hillbilly's bike. I'm shooting for one third less load.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Oh, I don't know how much I go light. I still take the laptop, camera, GPS, that kind of thing. I'm thinking about paring down my load for this winter. My poor KLR looks like the Beverly Hillbilly's bike. I'm shooting for one third less load.

In 2005 I was using a large tailbag(expanded) and my sidecases(expanded) and my tankbag(expanded). I'm now down to 1 small tail pack and my sidecases(not expanded). I'm trying to figure out a way not to take my tankbag. I got a very small iWay250 with Mex mapping for our winter vacation. iPod will provide the music since the iWay does not have a HD and needs the card slot for the Mex maps.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #26
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
On my two recent trips to Mexico, I hid duplicate essentials on the bike.

An emergency stash

Spare tarjeta on a separate account

And one of these, wrapped in a plastic bag and electrical taped on the frame. I was more paranoid about losing the key than I was the money or the credit card.

Also hidden on the bike are second copies of my passport, vehicle title, Mexican insurance, etc. I also made digital copies of those and emailed them to myself as attachments.

Culled most of these ideas from many threads around advrider
I'll have a dummy wallet with some expired credit cards in it, a retired DL and a few of the local $$'s. My passport, real ID and money will be on my body, probably in a hidden money belt.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #27
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
I'll have a dummy wallet with some expired credit cards in it, a retired DL and a few of the local $$'s. My passport, real ID and money will be on my body, probably in a hidden money belt.
yo tambien

There is a scene in a movie (not sure I can recall the title) where a guy gets hit up for his wallet. He hands it over. The thief looks in it and says "this is your fake travel stash, give me the real deal". The guy then hands over a second fake wallet, and the thief takes off.

There probably comes a point where you've taken enough reasonable precautions. The trick is to know what they are.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #28
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
i've used the bladders out of one of those boxes of wine as a spare water bottle in camp.

al
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #29
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,388
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Wait a minute.... Where ya going and when and how long and what ya riding?

Kinda like asking what bike should I buy and not saying squat about what you might use it for.

Dirtbike means, a toothbrush and a bivey sack.

GS on a long offroad trip means soft bags and short list to keep things light. Must survive in the wild.

GS to a big DO means take it all.

GS to the third world means lock it up tight and take plenty of spares.
R-dubb is online now   Reply With Quote