Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek
Don't forget to leave a flight plan if you're going out alone. apparently steve fossett didn't leave one for his trip out into the desert. so now crews are searching a gigantic area for him. been missing since monday.

al
Moral: Have fresh batteries in your EPIRB, and carry one with you at all times while solo. Makes finding the body much, much easier on us recovery guys!

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Prepare for an emergency before it happens, I carry a Govt issued survival handbook, it is the one for the airforce pilots. It is spiral bound at the top and the pages are plastic. Very handy book to have on you if your solo and get stuck somewhere. I tried to find a link that shows one but I cant find one anywhere, if you can get one from someone in the military I would highly recommend it.

If you cant find one, study up on your basic survival skills, you may need them one day

Here is one good link with lots of info,

http://www.simplesurvival.net/articles.htm

google and find more

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonridr
....I tried to find a link that shows one but I cant find one anywhere, if you can get one from someone in the military I would highly recommend it......
IIRC, Amazon has em. The one you mentioned, USAF, is supposed to be one the better ones, even more so that the SAS book/s.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Inlander
Lander

Oddometer: 14
Important paper stuff

If I am traveling in a foreign country, I make scans of all my official documents. Passport, Visas, Insurance, bike registration, bank cards, Credit cards, Drivers licence, Air tickets, Contacts. Phone number list, credit card replacement phone numbers, consulate contact info. I then put it in a high resolution word doc password it and send to my hotmail address. This way if I loose anything I always have all the back up information I need. I also take my drives licence, passport and visas down to my local printer, they make a high quality color copies, then I get them laminated. They look like the originals. Hotels always want to keep your passport when you stay with them, so I show them my passport and then give them a laminated copy, they always except it after seeing the original. This way I am never without my passport and visas. I did this while biking in Cambodia and Vietnam. Kinda anal but it can be a real bitch if you loose any of that stuff. I also take three credit cards, two with high limits one with a very low limit. I use the low limit one if the place is questionable. I always keep one extra with US cash and a printout of all my docs strapped to my leg.
Inlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #20
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlander
[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]If I am traveling in a foreign country, I make scans of all my official documents.
If you travel with a memory card (in a digital camera, GPS, PDA etc etc) place a phopto of the documents on it .. that way you are not waiting on a slow internet connection .. all you need it a PC or a digi camera to display it (and you could even print it at a camera shop)

The walet you use day to day should be the one with the copies of your dirvers licence, day money, expired credit cards .. if you have to, then the low limit card ... this is the one you give to the robber..
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #21
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
If you travel with a memory card (in a digital camera, GPS, PDA etc etc) place a phopto of the documents on it .. that way you are not waiting on a slow internet connection .. all you need it a PC or a digi camera to display it (and you could even print it at a camera shop)
If you put it on the same memory card you use to take pictures then you would have to protect the camera as if it were a wallet because it has all your information on it.... Maybe puting it on a low memory SD then hidding it on your bike/luggage somewhere would be a better option.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr screwed with this post 10-05-2007 at 09:47 AM
Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #22
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
I want to share with you something that changed my life.

First, some history.

I read a story about a female rider that was severily injured. She was riding alone. Placed in ICU on a vent she was given an antibiotic, Penicillin. The one drug she was highly allergic too. She went into anaphylaxis and died w/i an hour.

I didn't want that to happen to me.

I typed up the following (with real info mind you):

Gwen xxxxx
addy xxxxx
Emergency Contact
Steve 1234567890
Parents 1234567890
Sister 1234567890

Allergys xxxxx
meds xxxxxxx
surgeries xxxxxx
No long term life support
No long term feeding tube
DNR
Organ donor

Printed, cut down to 3/4 of a credit card size, text placed face out and back-to-back, then laminated. I placed that on a strong string and wore it always under my shirt everytime I rode alone some distance.

You are a wise woman, Gwen. I think I'm going to copy your idea. No, I definitely will. It would be a little little cottage industry holiday gift item for advriders.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Quote:

First, some history.

I read a story about a female rider that was severily injured. She was riding alone. Placed in ICU on a vent she was given an antibiotic, Penicillin. The one drug she was highly allergic too. She went into anaphylaxis and died w/i an hour.

Gwen xxxxx
addy xxxxx
Emergency Contact
Steve 1234567890
Parents 1234567890
Sister 1234567890

Allergys xxxxx
meds xxxxxxx
surgeries xxxxxx
DNR
Organ donor

Printed, cut down to 3/4 of a credit card size, text placed face out and back-to-back, then laminated. I placed that on a strong string and wore it always under my shirt everytime I rode alone some distance.

My thinking was that one of the first things EMS does is remove your shirt to place EKG wires. They would find it. For years I've been doing this. It was never needed.

Not until 8/31/07 at MM 213 on I-10 in AZ in the wee hours of the morning while riding this ride. Shoganai's 100CCC for the Special Wish Foundation

I know it worked because the woman that found my unconscience body called Steve. I have vague memories of holding it up in the ER asking someone to call Steve. The Chaplin did. Almost everything in my tank bag was scattered across the crash site and destroyed. Two GPS's, my cell, and my iPod destroyed.
My D/L was in my tank bag.

I was flown out while the LEO's and others were picking up my affects out of the AZ dirt and filling out reports.

That dead female rider was helping me that night to find my way home. Find Steve. Inform the medics and doctors. And if I died, at least they would know who I was and who wanted my remains.

I will never ride alone without it, and dear God I pray I never have to use it again.

Great Idea

Old 10-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #24
geegdv
Grrl on a 650GS

Oddometer: 15
Quote:

First, some history.

Gwen xxxxx
addy xxxxx
Emergency Contact
Steve 1234567890
Parents 1234567890
Sister 1234567890

Allergys xxxxx
meds xxxxxxx
surgeries xxxxxx
DNR
Organ donor

My thinking was that one of the first things EMS does is remove your shirt to place EKG wires. They would find it. For years I've been doing this. It was never needed.

Not until 8/31/07 at MM 213 on I-10 in AZ in the wee hours of the morning while riding this ride. Shoganai's 100CCC for the Special Wish Foundation

I know it worked because the woman that found my unconscience body called Steve. I have vague memories of holding it up in the ER asking someone to call Steve. The Chaplin did. Almost everything in my tank bag was scattered across the crash site and destroyed. Two GPS's, my cell, and my iPod destroyed.
My D/L was in my tank bag.

I was flown out while the LEO's and others were picking up my affects out of the AZ dirt and filling out reports.

That dead female rider was helping me that night to find my way home. Find Steve. Inform the medics and doctors. And if I died, at least they would know who I was and who wanted my remains.

I will never ride alone without it, and dear God I pray I never have to use it again.

Thanks for the great advice.
geegdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
luangwablondes
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Making the 1st step from lurker to a poster. The gatekeeper got by the fact I am not a blonde spammer.

Has anyone looked at SPOT.

www.findmespot.com/downloads/SPOT_Press_Release.pdf

www.equipped.com/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

www.gpsbusinessnews.com/index.php?action=article&numero=310

The thing looks like it would be a nice backup device. Especially for a trip to those remote places-- like Angola.

www.freewebs.com/luangwablondes/index.htm
luangwablondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #26
eastCOeric
Adventure Cruiser

Oddometer: 123
Air Force Pamphlet 64-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonridr
...Govt issued survival handbook, it is the one for the airforce pilots. It is spiral bound at the top and the pages are plastic.
Google "Air Force Pamphlet 64-5".
Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #27
J. Clarke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastCOeric
Google "Air Force Pamphlet 64-5".
Doing so found this: http://ridgerunnersurvival.tripod.com/da1.htm
J. Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,131
This is what I carry on my person (around my neck) when I travel. This is not all I carry in the way of ICE info but this is there in case nothing else is readily available.

My SDCard carries many personal doc's in JPG form (Passport,Drivers License,etc...)

The outside of the SDCard case.

This only took me 30 min. to put together.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #29
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Well?

Seriously - this may be one of the most important threads here. When you gotta have info fast, you should find it here. This is ONLY for emergency info, and not personal info either. Who do you call when you got your leg ripped off by a charging rhino? Sorry, Steve Irwin's not avaliable. Whaddya do when your passport, wallet, and bike title were just ripped off by a howler monkey? Nope, not Marlin Perkins either.

What do you do when you get drunk and put your passport and money under a chair cushion in your hotel and there isn't a fat Mexican to find it for you?

Barb
Old 10-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #30
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,327
I have never taken the precautions the rest of you do but I see some great ideas I'll be using in the future. Thank you.
I do text my SO everytime I fill up the bike when I'm on the road. I tend to do longer days and my route is never certain so this helps. At least whe they start looking for me they know I'm within a tank of fuel of where I last messaged. It helps my SO feel a little better and keeps me a bit safer.
Rob