Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #61
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
Hit by a Train

Oddometer: 29
Thumb For the mechanically challenged

Which I is one of... :-)

In the US, for road emergencies, breakdowns, fall overs, etc where you can't just fix it. the motorcycle world's version of AAA... MTS, or Motorcycle Towing Service. They are nation wide, and will come get you, get you home, get you to a garage, whatever it takes and at a reasonable cost.

when I broke my bike, we called them, and they were right on the spot, picked up me and the bike, ferried me and the bike to the house, and unloaded the bike into the carport for me.

New membership for me and ratthing was 75 dollars, and worth every penny for just that single incident.

http://www.mts-towing.com/benefits.asp

No, I don't work for them, but they have great service.

"A bolt of warmth, fierce with joy and pride and gratitude, flashed through me like sudden lightning. I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching---they are your family."

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Jim Butcher, Proven Guilty
r-u-n-n-o-f-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #62
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
As a computer geek, I would advise that if you are going to keep your info on an electronic storage device, you use "lowest common denominator" for the info someone will need most (allergies, medical conditions, ICE contacts, insurance company, medjet, etc). LCD in this case is an ASCII text file, as it can be read by pretty much any program--web browser, text editor, MS Word, Linux or Mac OS text editors.

For the other important stuff, like images of your passport, insurance, etc., a common encryption algorhythm should be used. There are commercial programs, but a common free one is Pretty Good Privacy. Put this program on the key as well--and again, I advise Windows, Linux, and Mac versions. You can give a sealed envelope to your ICE's with the pass phrase so they can provide it if it becomes necessary and you're not conscious.

I also suggest that you use a USB key rather than an SD card, since not all computers are equipped to handle the SD card. There will still be some computers out there that can't take the USB key, but they will be a smaller group than those not able to read SD cards. You can find USB keychain drives that are as small as SD cards these days, such as the Sony Microvault. I've even seen these at low tech places like Target.

I also agree with the "fireproof" tag suggestion; electronics, paper and plastic will not survive flames (well, electronic storage might, but data recovery services are not what you call "timely" in an emergency).
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #63
PlayersMarkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
PRB's
http://www.acrelectronics.com/

No need to call, just push the button...
PlayersMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #64
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Ah, for you unsuspecting noobs out there, don't use poison ivy for toilet paper. Dried grass works fine.
What about this stuff?

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #65
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,347
Ice

I made 3-4 of these for my wife and myself. I laminated them and keep them in my wallet and on the bike.

Too simple not to make one and carry it.

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

Good thread.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #66
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-u-n-n-o-f-t
Which I is one of... :-)

In the US, for road emergencies, breakdowns, fall overs, etc where you can't just fix it. the motorcycle world's version of AAA... MTS, or Motorcycle Towing Service. They are nation wide, and will come get you, get you home, get you to a garage, whatever it takes and at a reasonable cost.

when I broke my bike, we called them, and they were right on the spot, picked up me and the bike, ferried me and the bike to the house, and unloaded the bike into the carport for me.

New membership for me and ratthing was 75 dollars, and worth every penny for just that single incident.

http://www.mts-towing.com/benefits.asp

No, I don't work for them, but they have great service.
I was looking for something like this!!
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #67
Silverduck
Silverduck

Oddometer: 9
Petsmart Dogtag

My local Petsmart has a machine that makes custom tags. Mine has name, addy, blood type, and emergency call on it. I wear it all the time.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #68
Chains45
Wait.... what?

Oddometer: 487
I have been a Firefighter/EMT for 20 years, and cannot even guess at the number of fellow riders I have picked up off the highways. When I have an unconscious patient, I have NEVER gone thru pockets looking for info, I am usually too busy removing that clothing as quickly as I can with very sharp scissors. At the very most I might pat pants pockets as they go by to see if I can find a wallet which I usually give to the attending police officer. I have never looked at the helmet to see if there was info, or at their tank bag or zipper pulls. Those are all excellent ideas and I will start checking them.

BUT - I do ALWAYS check for dog tags and medical bracelets or necklaces, we train new EMTs every year to do that and it must have rubbed off. We are mainly concerned about allergies that may affect our care, but also note doctors names and numbers, and of course a name to put on the report we write. If we find a wife or other family name we may call if we have a chance, but more likely pass it on to the officer on scene or to the hospital.

I personally think the dog tag ideas to all be excellent. As far as the SD card/thumb drive around the neck, I think that is all excellent too but would be of more use to you in the even you become separated from everything else regardless of why. I might add a list of the contents of your wallet with cc numbers as well as cc company contacts so you can start to cancel the cards, listing contents of a carry-on bag as well as a checked bag when you fly would be good to help with claims.

Life is too short for regrets, I want to come to the end of this life bruised, battered, scratched and bleeding, holding a broken bone or two, and yelling "WOW WHAT A RIDE!! LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"
Chains45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #69
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 135
Great thoughts and ideas

I like the ideas and thinking on this. I will be using this idea. I use a medical necklace showing ID, Meds and contact info.

Jdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #70
Double0-12
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank you.

I'm heading to Costa Rica with my father on Sunday for an unguided tour via CostaRicanTrails.com on KTM 690's and am typing our cards up now. Thanks for the great site and info and I'll be back with a full report! All advice is welcome.

I've been lurking for a little while and am new to ADV riding, but not MC's. Tons of good info here!
Double0-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #71
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
A 'SPOT' might be a good idea. Can send coordinates and safe (or send help) message at will.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #72
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
1. I carry a memory stick with all critical information as has already been advised above. The documents are scanned.

2. I carry SPOT mostly for peace of mind for my family.

3. I have a cell phone with international service.

4. In my tank bag window I have a sheet of paper with emergency contact data.

5. I carry a first aid kit that has items in it specifically for motorcycle type crashes.

6. I wear protective gear.

I ride for the most part solo. If I am out on a road in the middle of a Mexican desert, isolated, and have lost a leg, I doubt I will be able to crawl to my first adi kit and get my tourniquet, etc. No one is coming for me, and I doubt any of the above items would help if I am alone and isolated.

Folks if there is not an element of danger in it, then it's not an adventure. Motorcycling in itself has many elements of danger.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #73
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
Emergency actions

When in danger, or in doubt. Run in circles, scream and shout!!!

Or...THINK!

Just sayin'...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #74
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 589
carry a medical history form--I have one made if you pm me--and a living will.

that way, if you are unconscious the medical personnel will have your wishes and your salient info.

The living will may not carry the complete weight of law, but anyone would certainly consider it; and the history is invaluable.
I never leave home without it in my tankbag
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #75
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 291
i have found out that a few threaded sewing needles are a great idea to keep in the first aid pack when you have to give yourself or someone else stitches
Dillon@ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote