User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Sub $250 ADV helmet recommendations?

My budget wont allow for the Arai or Shoei helmet options, so I am shopping for a sub $250 ADV helmet. I ride a good mix of pavement and off pavement. In fact, other than when the wife and I are on our annual big trip (typically 5,000 ish miles total, taking in 1000 ish ADV sort of dirt roads and two tracks), my riding is likely 60% dirt roads and two tracks in terms of mileage, but more like 90% in terms of time spent.

I have been using traditional full face helmets - but would find the visor very nice to have. Goggle use not a real big deal. Quiet is of course important. Light weight good. If one were to have a built in sun shade, that would be cool to. My past helmets have been Shark, Arai, Shoei, HJC and Bell. I would say I lean to a round oval shape?? (not sure)

In the searching I have done so far, the likes of the AFX 39 or 41 come up often as does the Fly Trekker, MSR Racing Expedition and a couple others. All of those are very attractively priced. Seems they are not to quiet of a helmet, and for some reason I have a hard time going to those brands. One attractive option I have seen is the Bell MX-9 Adventure. Seems well featured, and I feel a bit better on the brand.

Suggestions?

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
OklahomaRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I have the AFX 41. Fairly nice helmet but you get what you pay for. It is not a quiet helmet and if you have both shields down it has a bit of a fishbowl effect but for the money it isn't too bad. Comes apart for cleaning easily, pretty comfortable, just wear earplugs for the wind noise.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
I had a AFX 41 and it was a decent helmet. (The Fly Trekker uses the same shell.). The only complaint I had was even with all the vents closed it was very breezy in the helmet. Fine for summer use, but it was a bit cold in winter. I still keep it around as a backup to my Arai.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
Yroc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Got this shipped for under $250. Haven't received it yet though, but it looks nice and is pretty light. The reviews I've found about it are really good. We'll see.

Airoh S5
Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,635
I've been wearing a LS2 mx453, usually find em online for around 170 bucks. It fits me really well, and has surprised me with how well made it is for the money.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #6
DJKuhn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have an HJC Modular that I rode with for a couple years - has a built in sunshade that worked very well and didn't scratch up over time like some other helmet brands' sunshades.

It was loud though... that's the primary reason I bought a Shoei.
DJKuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
Wycruzer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I bought a New BEll Adventure helmet. Nice helmet for the $200. No tab on shield to hook gloved finger on to open it. Takes some getting used to. Remember that it is a POLY helmet, I think the finish is not that attractive. Will buy an Arai next year.
Wycruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
OrangeBandit
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just went thru this same thing a month ago and what I found to be of major concern for me was how far the face shield raises up and is out of your line of vision. I initially tried the MSR expedition and the visor wasn't out of my line of sight not to mention the chin bar was really close to my face. I looked for a helmet that would accommodate goggles because of dust on gravel roads. I ended up with a EVS helmet and seem to like it so far.
OrangeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I've been wearing a LS2 mx453, usually find em online for around 170 bucks. It fits me really well, and has surprised me with how well made it is for the money.
^^
I was going to suggest this, i have one as well and it is comfortable, the check pad does come down closer to the mouth than other helmets. The MX455 is essentially the same but with an internal sun visor. Wish they had those in the USA.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
zeeede
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
^^
I was going to suggest this, i have one as well and it is comfortable, the check pad does come down closer to the mouth than other helmets. The MX455 is essentially the same but with an internal sun visor. Wish they had those in the USA.
You could, just no promises that it will have a DOT sticker:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...270120145.html
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
I have the LS2 MX453 as well, for the money, it's a great helmet. I'd buy the MX455 in a second if it was offered in the US.

My LS2 replaced a GMax GM11D DS Helmet...which I can't recommend at all. I had to contact the manufacturer several times to replace the face shield "clickers". The plastic tabs would break and wedge in the hinge...that caused the shield to get stuck halfway open. Once I took out the broken piece, the face shield would open/close on it's own whichever way the wind was blowing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaRider View Post
I have the AFX 41. Fairly nice helmet but you get what you pay for. It is not a quiet helmet and if you have both shields down it has a bit of a fishbowl effect but for the money it isn't too bad. Comes apart for cleaning easily, pretty comfortable, just wear earplugs for the wind noise.

Most all dual sport helmets are noisy. Nature of the beast. Even the big buck ones have the noise comment. I guess riders get spoiled with the quiet road helmets.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycruzer View Post
I bought a New BEll Adventure helmet. Nice helmet for the $200. No tab on shield to hook gloved finger on to open it. Takes some getting used to. Remember that it is a POLY helmet, I think the finish is not that attractive. Will buy an Arai next year.

Nothing bad about polycarbonate helmets. Seems they can pass Snell and ECU standards when tested. They're usually lighter too.

Personally I'd like an Arai just because it doesn't have all the angular stuff like the Fly/AFX helmets. It also fits me well too. Shoei helmets don't fit me well.

I do NOT recommend the Joe Rocket Hybrid (in Europe it is an HJC). I got it because I like my HJC street helmet. The helmet itself is incredibly nice, but it is the strap positioning. The strap is attached with the pivot too far back, the helmet tends to rock back on my head. I'm forever tugging on the visor to pull the nose down. It is the strap positioning and not the wind forcing it back. Hate that. I should have gone with the spacey looking Fly instead.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #14
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
cyclegear has plenty in your price range...if you have a store near you even better cuz u can try them all on
http://www.cyclegear.com/nav/cat1/of...gory/helmets/0
Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
One cool thing about the LS2 MX453 is the faceshield is friction mounted, infinite positions.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote