User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
fishhuntride OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Review your riding jeans/cargo pants

I'm looking for some new riding jeans/pants. Something for those short runs around home when you'll be off the bike more than on it and full riding gear is just a bit to much.

I have the Cortech DSX jeans. Not bad for the money but the leather in the knees and rear is hot. Other than looking fairly normal off the bike, I don't see much advantage to them over textile or leather. They are somewhat more protective than plain jeans but not nearly as comfortable.

What are you using for this purpose and how well do you like them?
fishhuntride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 3,138
Draggin Jeans are the bomb; look/wear like regular blue jeans, but have kevlar in seat and knees, never been down n them, but the reviews by people who have are overwhelmingly good. The only downside is no armor.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Sartso Jeans, nothing bad to say about them. They're fairly hot to spend time in during summer, but if you wear them to the mall or cafe, its not bad.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Draggin Jeans are the bomb; look/wear like regular blue jeans, but have kevlar in seat and knees, never been down n them, but the reviews by people who have are overwhelmingly good. The only downside is no armor.
x2! However, I've tested mine and they worked just fine in a slide on concrete. Glad I didn't need the armor!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,264
I started out with Draggin' jeans years back. Liked them, but the knee pads are crazy uncomfortable. lately I haven't been impressed with the sizing and cut of them either.

After going through a series of jeans (including the DSX) and cargo pants, some better than others, I now wear AGV cargo pants. Fit is excellent, includes large Kevlar areas and is available in (real) tall sizes, a must for me. Only downside is: no knee protection other than the Kevlar. I use them for short rides (<20 miles).

The holy grail of jeans/cargos for me would be:
- fit of the AGV
- stretch panels near the bend of the knee like the Icons have
- pockets for knee protection included (I'll buy my own armor)
- Kevlar
- tall sizes (>34")

If you're not concerned about knee pads, you may want to check out the Diamond Gusset jeans.

BTW, there's a thread in Equipment somewhere where an inmate lists all riding jeans available on the market.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
If you are interested, do a quick search on Carhart double front work-pants for riding. Knee pads are easily inserted and they really are comfortable. I use them all the time. As a side note, they can be had in lighter colors which helps a lot if you ride in hot, sunny climates.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,046
Motoport

Motoport Street Jeans are comfortable, but the armor makes them look a little strange compared to regular pants. You could remove it it you wanted better abrasion protection than the other jean type products and were willing to give up the impact protection. http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.c...ar_Street_Jean

That being said I rarely wear mine, it is faster for a short trip to throw on the overpants than to change out of my regular pants to the Street Jeans.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I have a pair of those Duluth Trading Co. firehose work pants. Very heavy duty canvas, but no reinforcement in terms of padding to speak of. However, the heavy duty canvas should help some in the abrasion category. The nice thing about them is the gusseted crotch, so you've got some extra room for your junk while your on the bike. The legs are wide enough to slide over boots too, so you don't have to look like a space pirate. I strap on a pair of Knox knee pads and they're almost as good motorcycle pants.

I also just recently picked up a pair of Cortech cargo pants. They've got Kevlar in the knees and ass (and are on sale over at MotorcycleGear.com). They're very comfy and the lower legs zip off to make shorts, if you're so inclined. No crotch gusset, so your twig and berries can get a bit cramped on longer rides, but the fit is pretty baggy, so that helps.

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I've got the Draggin' jeans, Australian version off Ebay. Like them a lot. Velcrod in knee armour from a jacket I had lying around (elbow/knee works the same). The armor is comfy and sticks pretty well to the kevlar, the only issue is to be a bit careful when putting the pants on.

Pretty much wear these on all my rides except to/from work where I use overpants.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans (relaxed fit) going on 4 1/2 years, they are very comfortable, long lasting, and have enough room to wear knee pads & high boots under the pants. Thankfully I have never been down on them but I would buy them again.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 743
I also have the draggin jeans. A little bigger than I expected but since my weight goes up and down I kept them. Pretty comfortable. Haven't crashed in them. Hope I don't.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,015
don't get jeans with knee armor--or don't use it if they have it

wear separate armor underneath instead. With built-in armor they may not hang the way jeans should and also might not protect well--if it doesn't seem secure. So you can have both crappy jeans & crappy gear.

Not all kevlar is alike. I found a source that claimed that in the reinforcement on some kevlar lined jeans, few of the actual threads were kevlar.

A lot of reinforced jeans reinforce butt & knees, but not the side-seam between knee & hips. That's a key sliding area, and should be reinforced too.

I bought Red Route jeans with reinforcement in the proper places and no knee armor. Apparently their kevlar is good as well.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I agree with wearing seperate armor underneath as my jeans are too baggy to have any kind of armor attached to them to do any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
wear separate armor underneath instead. With built-in armor they may not hang the way jeans should and also might not protect well--if it doesn't seem secure. So you can have both crappy jeans & crappy gear.

Not all kevlar is alike. I found a source that claimed that in the reinforcement on some kevlar lined jeans, few of the actual threads were kevlar.

A lot of reinforced jeans reinforce butt & knees, but not the side-seam between knee & hips. That's a key sliding area, and should be reinforced too.

I bought Red Route jeans with reinforcement in the proper places and no knee armor. Apparently their kevlar is good as well.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Lucifer Orange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Hood Jeans

Hood Jeans

Fit like real jeans. Kevlar in the right places. Room for armor.

Draggin were baggy-ass for me.
Lucifer Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,907
I like my Icon Barrier jeans in the winter and my BMW summer pants in the summer. But I have no allusions that either will actually hold up in a serious get off. Sure, they might sustain certain get offs, but just don't assume they will save your bacon.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote