Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jimmydeanh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Anyone use Kriega bags with WM Rolie Saddle mount?

Has anyone used Kriega bags on a Wolfman Rolie Bags Saddle Bag Mount? Wandering if it would work? Or how about Kriegas as saddlebags?
Post up some photos if you have please.
Going to trail out my KTM 350 SXF soon and looking for some options for another 6 day trip in MT. Not fond of GL, but I'm realy liking the reviews of Kriega.
Thanks

Our Montana Adventure 2009

What I ride:
2010 KTM SM-T (AKA the Tard)
2011 KTM 350 SX-F (AKA KaTyM)
2006 Speed Triple (AKA the BAMF)
1981 Blonde (AKA Yummy)
jimmydeanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 351
Rotopax on top

I've been eyeballing this for my 250. I'm curious if you could strap a rotopax on the top part with medium Rollies on the side?
itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Bump.

Same question or even if anyone has any feedback on the Rolie Saddlebag mount itself.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Kreiga "throw-overs"

I've written to Kreiga several times about using their bags as "throw-over" panniers. I use their US10 & US20 tail bags & love them. They are totally waterproof, totally secure on the seat, & best of all, very flexible in their mounting. They are adaptable to just about any bike, thanks to Kreiga's well thought out mounting straps. I'd love to have them exercise their design skills on a throw-overs with the same level of build quality & flexibility. They are halfway there with the US 30/40 bags...they just have to knuckle down & figure out a clever mounting system that's adaptable to most rear seats that don't need racks. I've gotten replies from the US importer indicating that he's suggested the same thing & they are considering a set, but won't produce it until they have something that meets their high standards. Thats all to the good....but my ancient "Bagman Premiers" are more than old enough to vote. They won't last forever. I'd hate to replace them with something I'm not really thrilled with, only to have Kreiga announce a brilliant throw over system a week later. Come on Kreiga! Put pencil to paper & work up something that we can use without complex/expensive bolt-on rack systems! I've got my credit card in hand & I'll be first in line.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
swimmer
armchair asshole

I ordered a Rolie bag mount so I will now find out for myself. I don't however expect anything bigger than the US10 to work but we will see. I have a US10, 20 and, 30. Wolfman say the Rolie mount is for small and medium Rolie bags. I think a medium Rolie is near in size to a US10.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I ordered a Rolie bag mount so I will now find out for myself. I don't however expect anything bigger than the US10 to work but we will see. I have a US10, 20 and, 30. Wolfman say the Rolie mount is for small and medium Rolie bags. I think a medium Rolie is near in size to a US10.
Looking forward to this. make sure you post some pics up!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
dkom95
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Looks like they use a similar 4-point mount and are about the same dimensions. We know from experience that three large Rolies won't fit comfortably. Are you just running two of the US10s, or three? Either way, based on dimensions, it looks like it could work.
dkom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
swimmer
armchair asshole

I'd use two US10s on the sides. The center I am not worried about as the motorcycle
this goes on also has a rear rack where a US10 currently resides with my tools
etc.. in it. If the US10 works then everything would go
onto the sides of the WM mount. If the US10s work on the sides then I could put a US20 or 30 or both
on the back when I wanted to carry more stuff.

The WM/Kriega combo is probably not the cheapest set up but the less shit I have laying
around my garage and the more double-duty a product can do the better and the Kriega work
superbly on street bikes so having another US10 is more appealing than 2 Rolie bags which
I'd probably never put on my street bike.

We'll see. If it doesn't work I suppose I'll either be selling a WM Rolie mount or buying some Rolie bags.

At least we have manufactures like Kriega and Wolfman that make quality stuff so you know if somethign doesn't
work it's not because the product is crap.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
I hope you'll post some pictures when you get this set up, plus a paragraph or two on how it all works. I'm not sure I can wait for Kreiga to come up with a saddle bag system of their own.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #10
swimmer
armchair asshole

OK. The Wolfman mount showed up on Thursday (got a good price from moto-racks, they have a thread in vendors) and threw it on the bike. Goes on well as expected. Well made as expected.

Here it is with the Kriega alloy hooks installed. The hook on the left does go all the way through the webbing though its not shown like that.

I mounted a US10 on the left and a US20 on the right. I had Friday afternoon off so I decided to sweat my ass off and go a quick ride.

The US20 has the loops on the ends which could be useful if the main strap from the WM mount need to be kept centered on the bags, you could clip these together and trap that strap. On my short ride though the strap on the US20 side did not shift from center.

Both bags had about an equal amount of weight in them. Some tools that normally all go into the US10 and sit on top of the rear rack as below were put into each bag. I put some towels into the space remaining in the bags but the US20 was still only about 2/3 full.

The ride was short obviously but quite bumpy with stuff needing to be taken in 1st gear, at least with the WR. You can see the main WM strap had shifted from center on the US10 but didn't seem like it was going to move much more.

One way to get around this might be to run the main strap under the top strap of the Kriega.

Verdict. I think this set up works pretty well. If I was using these for a longer trip I'd keep the tools in the back and save the lighter stuff for the side bags. It's not that anything seems like it wouldn't work the way I had I just think it would be better. I took some pics of the US20 stuffed with towels and I think it actually fits better on the bike than the US10. Photobucket is not letting me resize though pics so I will post later. Most likely I'll pick up another US20 rather than another US 10. I didn't try out the top mounting portion of the WM mount but could fit my US10 there if I need the rack space for something else, like my US30. Obviously this combo of brands is not the cheapest route if you are starting from scratch but if you've already got a couple of Kriega bags it seems to be, for me so far, a good option. Most of my rides will still be with just the single US 10 on the back but I am hoping to do some longer rides this winter and if I do I'll post back here any impressions of continued use of this set up. No issues with the bags being in the way seated or standing.

My only other experience with this sort a over the seat bag was with a GL mojavi. The WM seems to mount more securely even noticing that I did not mount the rear strap in the best way and I had no issues. I think the Rolie mount with Rolies would also be a pretty good set up though the Kreiga bags come off/on easier. The detachable bags are better IMO than having all your stuff in the more permanent over seat bags.

Edit: here are the other pics of the US20

swimmer screwed with this post Yesterday at 04:29 PM