User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Getting pissed dealing with Happy Trails

I called over two weeks ago and ordered a set of mounting pucks and the added racks thingy to mount my tusk panniers to my SW motech rack. They didn't give me a order number at the time of order, ok, no worries.

After not getting any info after 4 days, I call. Chick on the phone says they are making more racks. What?! She says she will email me a tracking number.

I wait 4 more days. Call again. Haven't been sent out yet. They promise to email me a order number. Nothing arrives.

I wait 4 more days. Call again. Still not sent out. They will email me a confirmation number. Nothing arrives.

I wait 4 more days. Call again. Still not sent,but they will ship on Monday, they promise to email me a tracking number,well, it's Thursday and no info of sent items, no tracking number, nothing.

This is the first and last time I will ever deal with happy trails.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 832
I looked at the Tusk panniers, then decided to just bite the bullet and spend the green for some higher end cases. I briefly considered Happy Trails, until I researched them here and over the 'Net and saw the many, many complaints. I prefer my money goes to a company that supports the customer, not one that treats them like garbage.

They lost the chance at my bucks due to the fact they have so many problems taking care of their current customers.

Hopefully you get this resolved soon. If you get a bunch of replies in your thread here, copy the URL and send it to them in an email with the title "Look at your online feedback"!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I agree. Their rack I bought for my KLR was shit, didn't fit worth a dam. All they could tell me over the phone was "leave all the bolts loose until they are all started".

That doesn't help much when the holes are 2" off......
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 476
Reminds me of the movie....."Groundhog Day".

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988595
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 934
maybe they are getting to big too fast .
I had good luck with them in 09 , bought a whole bunch of stuff for his/hers KLR's, it fit well and is holding up well skid plates , highway pegs, crach bars, pannier racks .
But then last year I bought some stuff for my Vstrom 1K and the wifes vstrom 650 , the fit of the pannier rack was a bit off for the 1000, and her skid plate looked like crap on the bike , when I went to return it to exchange for a different, non HT brand , the process took 2 months to take care of .

their customer service is definitely lacking , and it seems as though their quality is going down hill .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
I had similar issues

Yeah, their customer service really is poor overall - great product though, as I think the lid & seal design on their boxes is top notch. I ordered a top box from them a while back, and phoned them numerous times to see where they were at with the order. I was told they had a production problem that put them behind. Speaking with several people in their organization during the waiting period was interesting... lots of promises which weren't kept. Am still waiting on some Wolfman straps which they forgot to include with my order... maybe they'll send 'em one day.

Great pannier boxes, but don't expect to get 'em quickly. I'd like to commend them on a few things tho - I have a KLR adventure sidecar rig, and phoned 'em up asking if they had just one box they could sell me, a 2nd/used/slightly damaged - they sold me a nice pannier box cheap, and the top box I got on sale (saved $70)... also they put out a list of used & demo stuff (just ask 'em about it) and I scored a slightly used Leo Vince X3 exhaust from them for a very decent price (awesome!). They're trying hard, I really think they are, but need to improve their customer service.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Well, F**k

I just ordered a set of SU racks... Hopefully that won't turn out to be a mistake!
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Concow Mower
Wild Doggie

Oddometer: 174
Product is OK, Customer Service, not so much!

If you all care to look on the "Where is your XT250" Thread you will find a littney of comments, complaints and observations on this topic. As I said in one of my Rants, I really don't like to bad mouth small businesses because I know it's tough out there in the retail market place, but. That being said, I ordered a bunch of $$ worth of stuff from HT on 3/11/14 and got the last (pacing) item in June 2014. 2 and 1/2 months tp process and deliver does seem to be a bit excessive.

Please refer to the above mention thread under "Thumpers", pages 131 through -141, Post Numbers 1964, 1996, 97, 98, 2004, 2016, 2022, 2025, 2109, 2111. At least three of us were in the same boat in late spring / early summer with our HT orders. No delivery and total BS when we contacted HT!

I finally got our racks, got them installed, and so far, so good. Products are OK, not perfect but just OK, but C/S is rudimentary at best.
Go Figure. Your mileage may vary but may the buyer beware!

Cheers
Dave
Concow Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
9.5isCanadian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ordered a complete setup for my Scrambler in May.
Got it in 4 weeks.
I had great customer service as well.
Just my experience..
O'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
9.5isCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
Dkizerian
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 74
I ordered cases and rack for my scrambler in late February, I was sent an email 2 weeks later saying the rack would be ready early April. Mid April I emailed them, and was told I'd have them end of April. I ended up getting them May 20th or so... Order was missing one small item, I emailed them a couple of times about it, kept being told they'd ship it, but I finally gave up.

Racks and cases have been great...

I had a $100 gift cert from that first purchase, and finally got around to using it June 20th. Didn't get anything more than a confirmation email, and a couple of weeks went buy... I emailed them, and was told that one part of the order wasn't going to be available till mid august... Nothing about this order was time sensitive, I made sure of that...

I think they need to really step up their communication... If I'd been told a couple of days after I ordered that one item was going to be a while, I probably would have paid extra to ship separately.

I also think they need to work on their stocking/manufacturing/planning...
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
I'll repeat my "customer service" issue with them. When I ordered racks and boxes for my F800GS, it took three shipments to correct their errors. Of course, that took almost a month. When I assembled the pieces, it looked as if they were built for three completely different bikes. All out-of-square and misaligned by inches. When I sent them pictures, they had a very simple explanation. They told me that they always had problems with BMWs since the BMW factory has such big tolerances and poor manufacturing processes that it was impossible to build a proper set of racks for them. But they assured me that their racks were "perfect". I paid a local racing frame restorer $200 to line everything up. (He didn't heat and bend the BMW pieces as HT might have suggested, but re-shaped the HT tubing.)
Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Their products are rough, poor fitting, poorly finished and under-engineered. Looks like some amateur built it in a poorly outfitted home shop, IMHO. Their customer service is bad, they plain do not respond to emails. Calls maybe. That said, I do use their product because they have large selection and it's good enough for a trail or adv bike. If I want nice stuff for a nice bike I'll get it somewhere else. Waited 5 weeks and several emails for some pucks, called and they sent then the next day. ????? Will I buy from "Crappy Trails" again, hell yes, will I get what I expect...probably.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Their products are rough, poor fitting, poorly finished and under-engineered. Looks like some amateur built it in a poorly outfitted home shop, IMHO...
I've no experience with their pannier racks, so can't comment on that, but don't know how you can say that about their pannier boxes - the boxes I have are beautifully crafted.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
I've no experience with their pannier racks, so can't comment on that, but don't know how you can say that about their pannier boxes - the boxes I have are beautifully crafted.
Have one set of there boxes, they ain't bad but no comparison to my Jesse's.