User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
TypeRated OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
School Me on Earbuds

I've got a Sena SMH10 installed in my Shark Evoline 3 helmet and the speakers are too tight on my ears. I'm looking at getting an earbud adapter and some earbuds, maybe with custom molded plugs for noise reduction. Problem is, I know nothing about earbuds other than what came with my iPhone. Any recommendations? ANR?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,486
I'll throw in my two cents.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...=etymotic+mc-5

They stay in my ears when I put on/take off my helmet. They come with foam eartips, which block ~33dB of wind noise, making the ride much more enjoyable. The sound quality is excellent. They don't break the bank, either.

I'm sure that if you used 'em a lot, custom-molded would be the way to go, and I don't know nothin' about those.

Hope this helped.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
TypeRated OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'll throw in my two cents.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...=etymotic+mc-5

They stay in my ears when I put on/take off my helmet. They come with foam eartips, which block ~33dB of wind noise, making the ride much more enjoyable. The sound quality is excellent. They don't break the bank, either.

I'm sure that if you used 'em a lot, custom-molded would be the way to go, and I don't know nothin' about those.

Hope this helped.
Thanks! I've looked around a bit, not much. I saw recommendations for the Etymotic ER6i and the Sure 215. I'm not against spending a little coin on a good product. Oh, I also called a hearing place today and they wanted $160 just for the molds
Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRated View Post
Thanks! I've looked around a bit, not much. I saw recommendations for the Etymotic ER6i and the Sure 215. I'm not against spending a little coin on a good product. Oh, I also called a hearing place today and they wanted $160 just for the molds
Customs are expensive, but if you use them often, and for long enough, they're probably cheaper in the long run, and more comfortable if you've got them in your ears for 8-10 hours a day.

I love my Etymotics. They make a pretty good product, IMHO. I'm leaving for Yellowstone in two days and let me tell you, those earbuds are at the top of my Do Not Forget list.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
bkshovel
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I too have used the Etymotics but I found them uncomfortable especially if left in for long periods of time. The left side quit working after about 6 months use. They quit in the middle of a month long trip so I stopped at a Walmart and bought a cheap,$12, set to finish the trip and have never gone back. They are much more comfortable as they do not go into the ear but seal nearly as well as the Etymotics. They even work well enough that I use them for the few times I ride without a helmet and can still hear just fine on my GSA and my Streetglide. Not so much so much on my FXST with a D&D header but I couldn't hear with the Etymotics on it either.
IBA #48310
bkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRated View Post
+1 on the Shure 215. A great product. Excellent customer service.

FWIW I always wear a buff/skull cap or something over my ears - makes putting the helmet on and off way easier, plus helps ensure the buds stay 100% in place. And it makes the helmet easier to keep clean.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
KendallT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Been using these for about 2 years now. They are super comfortable (come with 3 sizes) and stay snug when putting your helmet on. Oh... and they sound great too.
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-627476-00...=bose+headsets

Dreaming of a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
c4nuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I've managed to shear the nozzles off both side of my shure 535's. they sound good but a pain when they break on a trip.

Since then ive been usingthe earfuze buds. I hate to admit it, but on the bike, they sound 10x better than the shures, at 1/10th of the price!

earfuze.com

BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4nuck View Post
I've managed to shear the nozzles off both side of my shure 535's. they sound good but a pain when they break on a trip.

Since then ive been usingthe earfuze buds. I hate to admit it, but on the bike, they sound 10x better than the shures, at 1/10th of the price!

earfuze.com
Daft question but are you sure they sheared off and didn't simply disconnect from the main cable? It's one of the features that makes the Shure earphones pretty great - replaceable main cable, replaceable earbuds.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I've been using custom Sound Ears from Ultimate Ear for a couple of years. I love them. I won't ride anywhere without them. Sure they're expensive buty they're extremely comfy, hard wearing and I can plug them into my Cardo Scala Q3 or directly into my Ipod/Iphone. I think once you've used them you'll never go back.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
c4nuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Daft question but are you sure they sheared off and didn't simply disconnect from the main cable? It's one of the features that makes the Shure earphones pretty great - replaceable main cable, replaceable earbuds.

snap.

BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
jinbtown
Fabrication Warrior

Oddometer: 32
I've used several different ME Electronics - great for limited budgets .

http://www.meelec.com/Armature_Series_s/351.htm

Really like the A151 balanced armature's. I'm currently rocking the N9's (I think they are discontinued), have had the CW31's (wood driver housing) and CC51P (ceramic driver housing). The CC51P's were amazing - sounded so balanced and fit underneath my Scorpion EXO 1000 like a glove. They fell out of my coat pocket while riding - still mad about that

I just had a look at their website and it seems like they may have discontinued a good bit of their very nice upscale model phones, which is really disappointing. Maybe they are bringing a new product line to market. I'm sure you can find some on Amazon for a great deal however - headfi reviews consistently place them in the top marks for great headphones <50 and <100 bucks.

I know Paradigm just came out with a line of in-ears - they're speakers blow me away in my home theater set up, and the reviews on their monitors indicate very good for the price. Another great company to take a look at.

ME Electronics was flawless to deal with when I had a warranty issue by the way. Very important to me

2 x 89 NX250's, 90 VTR250
jinbtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
TypeRated OP
Wannabe Adventurer

After a lot of research and reading reviews I ended up buying some Shure SE215s. I wanted to find a cheaper pair, but these were in stock at the local Guitar Center. Haven't rode with them since I won't have a bike till the end of the month, but I'm impressed so far. Major improvement over the Apple earbuds that came with my phone
Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
This company makes custom ear pieces. Once you get fitted for them they keep your ear shape on file and you can order again for years to come.

http://www.protectear.com/us/products/db-life/

I think they run on the order of $150 for the first pair. They will make custom fits to a particular style of earbud and they're made from silicone so they deform and will not snap off like other pieces.

I wear hearing protection made by them at my job and they are 100% all day comfortable, as they're intended to be. Mine have lasted a year and a half with no sign of breaking, I've seen others last for almost 3.

You'll have to contact them to set up a fitting appointment. I do everything with them thru my company so I don't know how to get ahold of them.
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
LouDiamond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
+1 on the Shure 215. A great product. Excellent customer service.

FWIW I always wear a buff/skull cap or something over my ears - makes putting the helmet on and off way easier, plus helps ensure the buds stay 100% in place. And it makes the helmet easier to keep clean.

+2 for shures. Absolutely love mine, swap out for the triple flange tips for maximum ear seal.
LouDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote