Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
gnutix OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Rukka Gore-Pro not fitting well. Looking for more comfortable, cheaper alternatives.

Dear riders,

Short story (TL;DR)

Do you know of a jacket and pants that would be more flexible, comfortable and fitting nicely to the body than Rukka's Gore Pro gears ? And would be "doing fine" from the waterproof / breath-ability / protection standpoint too ?

-----

Long story

I currently own 3 pieces of gear from Rukka :
  • Airway Jacket 48, which I bought a year ago. I really love it, except for the Gore-Tex "destination liner" which I find way too stiff and itchy on the inside of the elbows. Moreover, the jacket cannot be zipped to pants with the inner-jacket on, which is a deal breaker to me (I didn't noticed in the store before buying).

I use it as my two-season hot, city & sporty, unfortunately non-waterproof jacket.
  • Armas Jacket 50, which I bought a year ago. I now seriously think it just does not fit me. At first, the "flaws" I noticed felt somewhat "okayish" and I was hoping they would fade over time, as I will break the jacket in. Unfortunately, a year after, they didn't. At all.

I've tried several sizes in the store before buying : the 48 was good overall, but the arms were so tight (elbow and biceps area) that I couldn't even fold my arms at 90°. I tried the 52 too, in which the arms were okay (only a bit long), but the chest was way too big. So I took the 50 : a bit bulky in the chest and a bit tight in the arms. Now I realized, I can't really reach for my neck for more than 5 sec without going mad. I thought it wasn't a move I would do that often anyway, but god was I wrong...

It is also very stiff (due to Armacor and Gore Pro-shell, I think ?) : I often feels like I'm wearing a knight armor: I have some space inside the armor to move, but the armor doesn't moves "with me", which is not what I expected from a $1000+ jacket.
  • Cosmic Pants 50 Long, which I bought two months ago. Feels good overall, but again I miss some flexibility : my bike's tank is being big, the pants tends to stretch in the crutch area as far as they can go whenever I straddle the bike, leaving no room for movement; which often gets the whole pants moving "too high", getting the knee protection at the wrong place... So... not so good either.

I'm therefore looking for another jacket (and possible pants) that would suit better, be more flexible and comfortable to me (3 cold seasons, 4 seasons a plus). I want something protective (must have), waterproof and breath-able (to a certain degree at least). I don't want to spent thousands of bucks again, as it's really hard in Switzerland to get to try gear before having to buy it (and returning it if the size doesn't fit costs more than a kidney on the black market...).

I've found the new REV'IT Vapor jackets (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-vapor-jacket) and pants (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-vapor-pants) are pretty much what I'm thinking of (only bad point is Hydratex: only 1 year of warranty and 5000 mm of water resistance, which is not much). I've also tried the Held Torno II (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...gore-tex-pants) and liked them a lot : more summer oriented, they could stretch into winter with a good base layer, apparently. I didn't tried the matching jacket though (Carese II). Finally, I'm also very curious about the Held Cadora/Manero and Camaris/Ravero couples.

Any suggestion / information about those will be warmly welcomed !

I'm 180 cm (5 foot 11 inches) tall, 73 kg (160 lbs), 96 cm (38") chest.

Thanks a lot for your help.
gnutix

gnutix screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 12:07 PM
gnutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Spidi ergo pro? Love mine, and I also own an armas. The ergo pro passes level 2, but its eeally lightweight and comfortable. Might be an option for you. If youre a 50 in rukka, youd probably be a large in spidi.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 679
Where are you? If in Europe, should take a look at Stadler.
There are some reviews on this site as well, can be ordered in the US.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
KungBoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I can understand that you want more fitted clothes than Rukka. They're like clown suits. And you look like a christmas three riding in them.
And I don't know if they have ever been worth their price tag but today they certainly aren't

Have you tried any Dainese stuff?

Fits nicely to the body and they do have at least one jacket and pants that you can take out the gore-tex.

Held, Hein Gericke, IXS, Jofama / Halvarssons also have more fitted clothing.
Well who doesn't compared to Rukka...
And they also have three to four season alternatives.

In Switzerland I would imagine there should not be any problem finding these brands.
KungBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
KungBoa
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Where are you? If in Europe, should take a look at Stadler.
There are some reviews on this site as well, can be ordered in the US.
He wrote " I don't want to spent thousands of bucks again"
That definitely leaves Stadler out.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungBoa View Post
He wrote " I don't want to spent thousands of bucks again"
That definitely leaves Stadler out.
Stadler is expensive, but not Rukka level. It's actually in the Dainese price range.

dragos screwed with this post 10-19-2014 at 01:13 PM
Old 10-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
KungBoa
Adventurer

Quote:
Stadler is expensive, but not Rukka level. It's actually in the Dainese price range.
Well the cheapest Stadler jacket is 200€ cheaper than the top of the line Dainese jacket which you can get for 100€ less than full price.

Between those two I would get the top of the line stuff.
It doesn't matter what the entry price is it's still entry stuff.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
dragos
Belzebut

You can also get Stadler less than list price.
Top of the line Dainese Stradon, laminate Gore-tex: 899 EUR
Stadler Force Pro, laminate GoreTex: 889 EUR, Stadler AirDraft Pro, laminate GoreTex: 849 EUR
Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
gnutix OP
n00b

I'm living in Switzerland. I've found in-stores access to high-end products (like Gore-Tex stuff) of any brand to be utterly difficult. Most stores have very few items in stock (usually about the low-price third of the brand's catalog, with only the most common sizes), so it's really hard to get to try gear (the right model, in the right size) before having to order from the main distributor (and most of the time comes with it an obligation to buy the damn thing when it arrives).

Moreover, most of the brands I'm interested in have very few distributors in Switzerland, like Held and REV'It. Same for Stadler (never seen one actually), Hein Gericke and others.

IXS and Dainese are way better represented here, so I should maybe dig a bit more into them.

I like Gore-Tex for their lifetime warranty (even though their waterproofness never failed me yet, it's a good safety net), so I would rather pay the price for it than have a cheaper alternative. And I'd rather step down from stuff like Rukka and Stadler, as it wouldn't be reasonable in my current budget.

The Spidi Ergo is therefore out of the question (and there's way too much features in this jacket's I'll never use anyway :P).
Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #10
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnutix View Post
IXS and Dainese are way better represented here, so I should maybe dig a bit more into them.
Isn't IXS from Switzerland?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
KungBoa
Adventurer

Quote:
Isn't IXS from Switzerland?
Yep it's Swiss.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
KungBoa
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm living in Switzerland. I've found in-stores access to high-end products (like Gore-Tex stuff) of any brand to be utterly difficult. Most stores have very few items in stock (usually about the low-price third of the brand's catalog, with only the most common sizes), so it's really hard to get to try gear (the right model, in the right size) before having to order from the main distributor (and most of the time comes with it an obligation to buy the damn thing when it arrives).
That's really weird. You would think that so close to the alps and other great roads there would plenty of gear to try on.
Is this across the hole country or maybe it's just the part where you live in?

Are you familiar with Fc-moto?

http://www.fc-moto.de/

The postage to Switzerland is only 14.90€.
Although 5€ more than to scandinavia... can't get my head around that one.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
gnutix OP
n00b

Yep, I used FC-Moto before for the Rukka Cosmic pants. But you have to add the custom fees, which were 40 €, along with Euro-CHF conversion fees. And if for whatever reason the size do not fit, you have to send it back (35 € for delivery from Switzerland to FC-Moto), and then pay custom fees again on the new one you order... And so on. So if you're unlucky with the size and need more than one try, it could really cost a lot.

The 5€ more of delivery is because Scandinavia is in the Euro zone, and Switzerland is not actually.

I'm from the French speaking part of Switzerland, where I've tried every shop and called every shop owner I've found on Google. I should try to dig the German speaking part now (but it's really hard for me to do business of high end stuff in German...).
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Quote:
Yep, I used FC-Moto before for the Rukka Cosmic pants. But you have to add the custom fees, which were 40 €, along with Euro-CHF conversion fees. And if for whatever reason the size do not fit, you have to send it back (35 € for delivery from Switzerland to FC-Moto), and then pay custom fees again on the new one you order... And so on. So if you're unlucky with the size and need more than one try, it could really cost a lot.

The 5€ more of delivery is because Scandinavia is in the Euro zone, and Switzerland is not actually.

I'm from the French speaking part of Switzerland, where I've tried every shop and called every shop owner I've found on Google. I should try to dig the German speaking part now (but it's really hard for me to do business of high end stuff in German...).
Is it crazy to plan a ride around a gear purchase? I mean, most in the US buy their Rukka stuff from Biker-Land in Germany. Why not just do an overnight? Since you're in Switzerland, does that mean you don't have to pay VAT? Try on more Rukka, Stadler and whatever else they have, then have it shipped to save the VAT(maybe).
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
KungBoa
Adventurer

Quote:
Just shout to them "όber motorradbekleidung schnell schnell!"