Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #1486
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
CBs tools were terrible in my experience. I had a the torx bit strip on the first usage on their pricy multi-tool. The same multi-tool would also unbolt itself into pieces in my Camelbak. I'd take Home Depot stuff into the backcountry before Crank Bros.

I'm not sure if they've changed, but they seem to have always put design before functionality.

And they are made for bicycles....................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #1487
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Wow. That's surprising. Grew up working in bike shops and would have said Crank Bros has always made pretty nice stuff? Carry one of their pumps and it's been great. No experience with their multi tools though. Like the idea of a bit-keeper though. It's not much more than that. So the application (bicycles) is not important.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #1488
oceanguppy
go with the flow

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Tip: If you use/carry an EnduroStar Trail stand, the larger shaft works as a great cheater for mid-size allen keys as well as the 1/4 sliding T-bar that I use as my primary wrench.

Good find
oceanguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #1489
fhfr436
Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Crank Bros has always made pretty nice stuff
I agree. I've used many of their different products, including their multi-tools and have been pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
the application (bicycles) is not important.
Can't we all just get along? I ride 2-wheels with and without motors and it saddens me to think that my fellow motorcyclists would disrespect me when I'm riding my bicycle on the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #1490
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Some of these items may have been discussed on here... I'm not sure... If so I apologize. I'm thinking of adding one of these to my collection...trailside use.

Anyone had experience with any of them? Suggestions for which is better? Better options out there?

Stockton T Handle Folding Set
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/36251_00000

Motion Pro Folding T Handle Trail Set
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Trail-Set.aspx

Fly Racing Service T Handle
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ndle-Tool.aspx

The first 2 are are more compact because they fold in half but I suspect this could be a point of weakness. The last one is obviously not as compact but may be more sturdy.

Thoughts???? Thanks!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #1491
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Some of these items may have been discussed on here... I'm not sure... If so I apologize. I'm thinking of adding one of these to my collection...trailside use.

Anyone had experience with any of them? Suggestions for which is better? Better options out there?

The first 2 are are more compact because they fold in half but I suspect this could be a point of weakness. The last one is obviously not as compact but may be more sturdy.

Thoughts???? Thanks!

are you suggesting use them in place of ratchet? Or perhaps just where more convenient than a ratchet....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #1492
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
are you suggesting use them in place of ratchet? Or perhaps just where more convenient than a ratchet....
Yes.. In place of a ratchet. Thought with one of these t-bars i could carry all necessary sockets and have the ability to reach tight places without an extender. Allen heads should fit too.. using the appropriate size socket to hold them. I'll probably still carry an 8" adjustable wrench. Bad idea?? Or a better solution?? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #1493
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,706
Quote:
Yes.. In place of a ratchet. Thought with one of these t-bars i could carry all necessary sockets and have the ability to reach tight places without an extender. Allen heads should fit too.. using the appropriate size socket to hold them. I'll probably still carry an 8" adjustable wrench. Bad idea?? Or a better solution?? Thanks!
No, whatever you need. All bikes are different. I need a ratchet to do any field fixes. I was just asking for ideas.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #1494
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNOKIAx View Post
What brand / model is the claw hammer tool I see in the picture??
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #1495
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:

Thoughts???? Thanks!
I have the TUSK brand version of the folding t-handle and decided I would rather carry a Craftsman or higher quality 1/4" sliding t-bar plus an extension. I don't like the looks of the pivot/hinge mechanism of the folding t-handle units. It's completely unnecessary, and having the option to use a t-handle with or without an extension (or with 2 different extension lengths) seems to have greater utility for me. Footprint/weight is close enough to be negligible.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #1496
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the TUSK brand version of the folding t-handle and decided I would rather carry a Craftsman or higher quality 1/4" sliding t-bar plus an extension. I don't like the looks of the pivot/hinge mechanism of the folding t-handle units. It's completely unnecessary, and having the option to use a t-handle with or without an extension (or with 2 different extension lengths) seems to have greater utility for me. Footprint/weight is close enough to be negligible.
Excellent advice... Thanks! I think I'll be making a trip to the local Sears (most of my tools are Craftsman) to look into a sliding T-Bar. You're right the sliding option makes more sense... By removing the extensions for storage it becomes just as compact as the folding T-Bar without losing the tool's strength/integrity.

I think in the past I have seen ratcheting thumbwheels that fit onto sliding T-bars... I can't seem to find a product that fits that description now. I can find thumbwheels but none that are made to fit onto a sliding T-Bar... Anyone know of such a product? Have a link?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #1497
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Regarding cables. I logged 585 hours on my last offroad bike through three countries, and who knows how many hours on bikes before. I have yet to ever have a broken cable and the reason I believe is that any cables on the bike are changed every few years out of caution. Same for chains. I have never had a chain issue. Is this because I always use fresh drive chains? Not sure, but they are always replaced once they reach 50% wear just to be cautious as i ride in the outbacks of third world countries. So may I recommend you not try and squeak the last few percentage points of life out of these consumables.

Here's a few bits I carry in my tool kit to jury rig repairs and get me out of the jungle.

Headlite - For when you break down at dusk and the repair takes awhile

towstrap - for when all else fails

Bolts - and nuts and washers that fit the bike not just look the correct size, stored in stiff plastic candy container

Epoxy steel - for fabbing everything from broken levers, holes in cases, etc

Spark plug -

Fuel line

Fishing line - thick shit for emergency tying off things, lashing logs together for bridges, etc. packs tiny

Multiple hose clamps nested in duct tape, used before to attach L shaped hex to busted gear shift end for a shift lever.

Stainless steel wire - good for lashing high temp stuff ie mufflers

Zip ties - Too many uses, I love em.

Duct tape - and electrical tape wrapped round my air pump.

I keep meaning to pack a small (4"-6") hacksaw blade but have not come up with method off carrying it that won't eat into my spares kit.

One of the best tools for fixing shit has been my 8" adjustable wrench. That tool is the perfect thing for straightening out bent to oblivion rear brake pedals and shift levers, beating shit back into shape etc.

Another zip ty saving things.

Reattaching rear brake lever to master cylinder when a rock busted things up. This mod held out for the remaining three weeks on this ride.

The awkward thing is not carrying the shit but understanding how to jury rig things to get you back home. I'd love to hear more on this topic.

JesusGatos - I'll be needing the bar end handguard bits at least and most likely a Scotts mount.
Put them into a piece of fuel line.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #1498
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 772
Tape the hack saw blades to the inside top (or side) of your box panniers.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #1499
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I made one of the stands shown in a previous post, and taped the blade to that. The stand, spoons with axle wrench, and tube repair kit all are inside a tool tube.
This works well and keeps it out of the way.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #1500
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Excellent advice... Thanks! I think I'll be making a trip to the local Sears (most of my tools are Craftsman) to look into a sliding T-Bar. You're right the sliding option makes more sense... By removing the extensions for storage it becomes just as compact as the folding T-Bar without losing the tool's strength/integrity.

I think in the past I have seen ratcheting thumbwheels that fit onto sliding T-bars... I can't seem to find a product that fits that description now. I can find thumbwheels but none that are made to fit onto a sliding T-Bar... Anyone know of such a product? Have a link?

Thanks!
It's a POS, but try harbor freight. Oh wait, that was an oxymoron!!
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote