Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #1876
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
i was cleaning the garage when i found my little 240mm tire irons, i have been using and carrying 3 motionpro 16" irons for a while. and they make tire changes so easy, but they are well big laying across the bottom of my backpack. the 240mm spoons i haven't used in years and a remember drawing blood a few times using them, but they are tiny.. now i have the question of what combo of spoons should i carry, i was thinking 2 240mm and one 16" or vice versa?, i'm getting in some K760's in on tuesday or wednesday so i will test what the minimum i can do a tire change with is...
I'm not genius, but follow my logic here. If I have a flat on a trip, I immediately get pissed off. Many flats can be avoided, and the ones I have had in my life have largely been my own fault. I overlooked the road debris, I took a stupid line, I tried to stretch too many miles out of a tire, yada yada yada. The end result is that as soon as I spot a flat, I get a bit pissed off.

Now that said, there is nothing worse than being pissed off because of a flat and then get even more pissed off trying to fix it. Fighting a Tourance with a short tire iron can be an excruciating experience. Watching it fling your shorty tire iron across the trail, passing mere centimeters from your face is a whole new level of rage that I never wish to experience again. Yes, this has happened to me.

So I will not skimp on tire irons. I always carry the longest, best functioning tire iron that I can carry. If that means I have to sacrifice something else for the kit, then so be it.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1877
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Fellow inmates,

I followed a link here on ADVrider one day, and it brought me to a website for a tool that can bend and tighten wire with enough even tension to be used as a hose clamp.

This tool can bend wires of varying thicknesses, even coat hangars.

Anyone have a link?

Thanks.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #1878
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,756
http://www.clamptitetools.net

Google clamptite... you can sometimes find it on sale, special packages, etc.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #1879
aernan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Is anyone using that clamptight tool on their bike? If so what hoses have you clamped with it? Does it work well on the tight spaces of the bike? Do you carry the tool with you to make more clamps in the field?
aernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1880
marchyman
Cam Killer

I keep the cheap version and a small spool of wire on the bike but mostly use it around the house (only once did I use it on the bike following the single wrap instructions). I've had it for less than a year.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #1881
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by aernan View Post
Is anyone using that clamptight tool on their bike? If so what hoses have you clamped with it? Does it work well on the tight spaces of the bike? Do you carry the tool with you to make more clamps in the field?
I have not used that fancy tool but I have used a piece of fence wire to make a hose clamp using pliers on my Leatherman to tighten it. Worked great! That tube is part of the stock spark plug wrench for a DRZ 400. It was like that for the rest of the summer while I waited for the dealer to get me the right hose.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #1882
aernan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
given the choice of carrying the wire and special tool or instead hose clamps which would you prefer?
aernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #1883
Jetmakerbrit
Cranky Flier

Oddometer: 12
The Toolkit Thread

In lieu of the $100 Ti Terra-X tire irons, I'm thinking that a pair of drilled/clamped $10 steel Motion Pro irons would make a useful breaker bar. I just need to figure out how to weld, clamp or otherwise attach a 3/8" drive. I thought I remembered seeing a drive or wrench that slid onto an iron previously in this thread but looking back didn't see it. Does anyone have or know of such a thing?

If there isn't a thread for descriptions / photos of jury rigging already there should be. Closest I found was this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148333
Many of the posts seem to confuse jury rigging (improvised) with jerry rigging (haphazard) though.

As a side note, thanks to everyone for their input to this thread. It's been a useful resource while building up my own toolkit.
Jetmakerbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #1884
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
In the OP, I saw rubber bands around the altoid tin. Long ago, I was told that the 'rubber band rule' was to use at least 2. When the first one broke, it was time to replace both/all.

Since then, I have been cutting rubber bands out of old inner tubes. These never seem to get old and break. Put one around the chain lube can and it never loses the spray straw or breaks like the regular bands do.

If one uses a tool pipe/tube, one can take a 4" inner tube and cut it to length for the tube. A hole punch puts a bunch of holes in each end for a nylon tie string. The rubber tool bag doesn't rattle as much and a shop rag stuffed next to it keeps it from whanging around in the tube if the roll doesn't fill the tube.

All the small containers in my shop have inner tube bands on them. Hardly anything gets spilled in the shop anymore due to a rubber band letting go at the worst possible moment.

Also, a comb was shown to get dropped parts out of the sand. I learned long ago to wrap my tool kit in some sort of tarp/house-wrap. The idea was to have the material unwrap and become a ground cloth/clean surface to work on so that tooks and parts didn't have to lay in the dirt or get dropped with little chance to find them.

I didn't go thru all the pages. If work lights and continuity testers were not mentioned, one might consider some minimalist tools for that too. BITD, extra fuses and bulbs were packed in foam and put behind the head light reflector. The siphon tube that was often snaked inside the handlebars often had fuses, emergency cash, and whatever could be packed in there too.

Once the seat cover got trashed, riders would cut out seat foam in places that never saw a butt or a load and pack bulbs or other 'delicates' in there and seal it with duct tape. Some taillight mounting assemblies were hollow and riders packed that area with spares that didn't need fast access.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1885
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
In the OP, I saw rubber bands around the altoid tin. Long ago, I was told that the 'rubber band rule' was to use at least 2. When the first one broke, it was time to replace both/all.

Since then, I have been cutting rubber bands out of old inner tubes. These never seem to get old and break. Put one around the chain lube can and it never loses the spray straw or breaks like the regular bands do.

If one uses a tool pipe/tube, one can take a 4" inner tube and cut it to length for the tube. A hole punch puts a bunch of holes in each end for a nylon tie string. The rubber tool bag doesn't rattle as much and a shop rag stuffed next to it keeps it from whanging around in the tube if the roll doesn't fill the tube.

All the small containers in my shop have inner tube bands on them. Hardly anything gets spilled in the shop anymore due to a rubber band letting go at the worst possible moment.

Also, a comb was shown to get dropped parts out of the sand. I learned long ago to wrap my tool kit in some sort of tarp/house-wrap. The idea was to have the material unwrap and become a ground cloth/clean surface to work on so that tooks and parts didn't have to lay in the dirt or get dropped with little chance to find them.

I didn't go thru all the pages. If work lights and continuity testers were not mentioned, one might consider some minimalist tools for that too. BITD, extra fuses and bulbs were packed in foam and put behind the head light reflector. The siphon tube that was often snaked inside the handlebars often had fuses, emergency cash, and whatever could be packed in there too.

Once the seat cover got trashed, riders would cut out seat foam in places that never saw a butt or a load and pack bulbs or other 'delicates' in there and seal it with duct tape. Some taillight mounting assemblies were hollow and riders packed that area with spares that didn't need fast access.
^ Cool those old school hidey hole ideas are great.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #1886
marchyman
Cam Killer

Quote:
given the choice of carrying the wire and special tool or instead hose clamps which would you prefer?
You can not sew together broken plastic with hose clamps. You can with cable ties and safety wire (and you don't need the special tool, either). I will always have cable ties and safety wire as part of my on bike repair kit. With the tool I don't need to add hose clamps, too.

I've gotten by using cable ties as a hose clamp on a low pressure hose. The guy who owned the bike was happy to get going and didn't mind that it might fall off every so often as I'd also given him a half a dozen cable ties to (hopefully) get him home. It was about that time that I decided to add safety wire to the kit, too.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1887
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
I bought the special tool but have not really taken to it.

I prefer hose clamps in a couple sizes.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #1888
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I realize the economics don't really work for Terra X, and Aussies in general, but jeez! Those prices are still heavy.
Yeah, it's a big figure, but it's a once in a life short of purchase. I spend more than that on piss every weekend. ;-)

I tried spoon irons like motion pro before but they never follow the diameter of the rim as well as these narrow tip ones so pinching is near impossible. Your can't make those narrow tips in ali.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #1889
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
http://www.clamptitetools.net

Google clamptite... you can sometimes find it on sale, special packages, etc.
That was it!!

Thanks.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #1890
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Originally Posted by team ftb
1/4" T handle, sockets and bits but not sure it will pack lighter and smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I do like 90% of the work on my bike with this set-up, including wrenching in the garage. Overtorquing is for dorks. Super cheap to get a nice set-up, even with a couple different length extensions. I do carry some stubbies for those hard to reach places (but not the bean).

Well just started playing with the 1/4" drive and bits in the garage. Originally I was hoping it would replace my L shaped Torxs and Hex tools with bits to save some space.

Already found a spot it does not fit compared to the L shaped tool. The lower bolt where the L shape is would not accommodate the bit driver.

Next up will be some carb work and see how it does in tight spots there. I've been using the Motion Pro Tool for a couple years now and combined with the stubby wrenches it makes for a pretty small package that works as the backbone of my toolkit. I carry this easily accessible and it handles about 85% of my needs for tools on the trail without having to access the rest of the toolkit.

I'm curious to try a 1/4" drive T handle and sockets with a bit driver and bits for: hex, torxs, and screwdrivers. Wondering how it will compare in usage and compactness to the MP tool.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote