User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #1876
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
Originally Posted by team ftb
1/4" T handle, sockets and bits but not sure it will pack lighter and smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I do like 90% of the work on my bike with this set-up, including wrenching in the garage. Overtorquing is for dorks. Super cheap to get a nice set-up, even with a couple different length extensions. I do carry some stubbies for those hard to reach places (but not the bean).

Well just started playing with the 1/4" drive and bits in the garage. Originally I was hoping it would replace my L shaped Torxs and Hex tools with bits to save some space.

Already found a spot it does not fit compared to the L shaped tool. The lower bolt where the L shape is would not accommodate the bit driver.

Next up will be some carb work and see how it does in tight spots there. I've been using the Motion Pro Tool for a couple years now and combined with the stubby wrenches it makes for a pretty small package that works as the backbone of my toolkit. I carry this easily accessible and it handles about 85% of my needs for tools on the trail without having to access the rest of the toolkit.

I'm curious to try a 1/4" drive T handle and sockets with a bit driver and bits for: hex, torxs, and screwdrivers. Wondering how it will compare in usage and compactness to the MP tool.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #1877
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Tmotten - How do these work in practice?

Are they clumsy/awkward? Do they fit anywhere a box end wrench would or do they have more material around the exterior of the wrench hole that would inhibit access?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #1878
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 820
The Toolkit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Well just started playing with the 1/4" drive and bits in the garage. Originally I was hoping it would replace my L shaped Torxs and Hex tools with bits to save some space.

Already found a spot it does not fit compared to the L shaped tool. The lower bolt where the L shape is would not accommodate the bit driver.

Next up will be some carb work and see how it does in tight spots there. I've been using the Motion Pro Tool for a couple years now and combined with the stubby wrenches it makes for a pretty small package that works as the backbone of my toolkit. I carry this easily accessible and it handles about 85% of my needs for tools on the trail without having to access the rest of the toolkit.

I'm curious to try a 1/4" drive T handle and sockets with a bit driver and bits for: hex, torxs, and screwdrivers. Wondering how it will compare in usage and compactness to the MP tool.
I don't have a kTM, but couldn't you use a regular socket rather than the torx (?) since that is a combo head bolt? But yes generally the allen/torx sockets are unnecessarily long, and I haven't found many 1/4" drive ones anyway.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surfboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #1879
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I don't have a kTM, but couldn't you use a regular socket rather than the torx (?) since that is a combo head bolt? But yes generally the allen/torx sockets are unnecessarily long, and I haven't found many 1/4" drive ones anyway.

Technically a socket would fit the bolt, but unfortunately would be too long when combined with a ratchet or driver to fit in between the chain guard and the bolt. A small 8 MM wrench also works but is more awkward than the L shaped Torx.

Instead of 1/4 drive hex/torxs sockets I use a 1/4" bit driver and hex/torxs bits in an effort to save space and the bits/driver take up less room than individual sockets. Partway down the linked page are the 1/4" bit drivers

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2792/=p2q7pf

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #1880
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,846
I found this little gem at an estate sale a few weeks ago for $1.50. I finally changed the battery on it this afternoon and tested it alongside my Fluke. It works perfectly, and packs up very small. It will be added to the tool kit immediately.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1881
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Tmotten - How do these work in practice?

Are they clumsy/awkward? Do they fit anywhere a box end wrench would or do they have more material around the exterior of the wrench hole that would inhibit access?
They are really designed for axles, so for large hex heads. 32,30,27,24,22 and 19 and I only take the ones I need.

The drive is a nice fit, but because it's not locked you do need to make sure you don't push down on the lever on an angle. But the same goes for any spanner really, or you slip off the nut.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1882
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Technically a socket would fit the bolt, but unfortunately would be too long when combined with a ratchet or driver to fit in between the chain guard and the bolt. A small 8 MM wrench also works but is more awkward than the L shaped Torx.

Instead of 1/4 drive hex/torxs sockets I use a 1/4" bit driver and hex/torxs bits in an effort to save space and the bits/driver take up less room than individual sockets. Partway down the linked page are the 1/4" bit drivers

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2792/=p2q7pf
This driver holds the bits directly and will fit into very small spaces. It also has an adapter to use with sockets.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062FSAVI/...410_item_image
Here is a different version of the same tool.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mic...3#.UmnjIVMYpRo
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #1883
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks Bengt Phorks, they're a tidy set-up.

Only thing I don't enjoy about that style is having to pull all the bits/adapter/sockets etc and reinsert on the reverse side when going from tightening to loosening fasteners.

That's why I enjoy using this style of driver.

Dead simple, nothing to fail, and once loosened the fasteners can be removed rapidly by straightening out the Flex head and undoing the fastener like a screwdriver. However sadly not as compact as your linked driver for bits, however this is more compact for using sockets whereas the GearWrench kit you linked needs what looks like a 1 1/2" adapter to utilize sockets.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1884
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Thanks Bengt Phorks, they're a tidy set-up.

Only thing I don't enjoy about that style is having to pull all the bits/adapter/sockets etc and reinsert on the reverse side when going from tightening to loosening fasteners.
The husky and gear wrench equivelent (same tool, maybe 10% larger) do not require to remove and reverse bits to change direction. It's just like a ratchet, it has a little swinging thing to change direction.

Plus there is a knurled knob along the edge, once broken loose you can spin the bolt or screw loose with your fingers, same for tightening.

try one, you will like it.

I HATE hex and torx keys, slow, annoying, cumbersome. At least compared to the above tool I have been using exclusively for 99% of all my repairs for probably 6 or 8 years.

The only time I break out a larger ratchet is to pull an engine.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #1885
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:

That would easily be taken care of by the husky\gearwrench ratchet and a torx bit.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1886
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
The husky and gear wrench equivelent (same tool, maybe 10% larger) do not require to remove and reverse bits to change direction. It's just like a ratchet, it has a little swinging thing to change direction.

Plus there is a knurled knob along the edge, once broken loose you can spin the bolt or screw loose with your fingers, same for tightening.

try one, you will like it.

I HATE hex and torx keys, slow, annoying, cumbersome. At least compared to the above tool I have been using exclusively for 99% of all my repairs for probably 6 or 8 years.

The only time I break out a larger ratchet is to pull an engine.
Thanks for the correction Haychal. Now I'm getting interested. I'm curious how do you extend the hex bits if you need to access a buried hex? Is there an extension available that fits into the GearWrench/Husky?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #1887
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Thanks for the correction Haychal. Now I'm getting interested. I'm curious how do you extend the hex bits if you need to access a buried hex? Is there an extension available that fits into the GearWrench/Husky?
Here is [part of] my set up. Do you see the little black stubby thing? That has a 1\4" bit holder on one side, the other is driven by a 10mm socket or wrench. I use that when I need a bit more depth for a bit.

I also use it on a 10mm deep socket which is covered in hockey tape. This gives me a screw driver.

It's thin enough around that I have never had a problem getting into any recessed hex or torx bolts.

It came from a cheap lowes kit that was missing pieces. It was the last one in stock so I asked if they could discount it. Manager gave it to me for a penny.

Anyway, I saw them available separately a while back but can't seem to find them again. Grainger or McMaster Carr has something fairly identical for about a buck or 2.

Or you can simply use any bit extension, those can be had at any hardware store.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1888
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Here is my axle nut tool.
Machete
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #1889
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
Here is my axle nut tool.
Machete

Not that is fucking cool. How do you cut out the hex shape?

That also looks like a good place to store it......
Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #1890
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

Not that is fucking cool. How do you cut out the hex shape?

That also looks like a good place to store it......

Or you could shoot the nut off with a hand gun....you know, like they do with locks in the movies