User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #571
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Monster

I've jumped bikes without cables by taking the good battery out of it's bike and holding it near enough to the dead battery that we could jump it using a pair of pliers and the blade of a screwdriver. The question is then "Are jumper cables better than coat hangers?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atFault
For those who haven't read it there is this: http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coa...monster-cables

It might seem off topic, but I think we can tie it in by saying that lots of things will work in a pinch and be just as effective albeit not as convenient as items designed with specific intentions.

Bring what you need, use what you have. For everything else, improvise, adapt and overcome.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #572
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
I've jumped bikes without cables by taking the good battery out of it's bike and holding it near enough to the dead battery that we could jump it using a pair of pliers and the blade of a screwdriver. The question is then "Are jumper cables better than coat hangers?"
Ha, I had to do that once, I held the battery in place while balancing two wrenches while my friend cranked the bike over.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #573
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
$7.99
4 Piece Box Wrench Socket and Bit Adapter Set
Item 99618
1/2" drive 19mm wrench adapter
3/8" drive 13mm wrench adapter
1/4" drive 10mm wrench adapter
1/4" female drive 10mm wrench adapter
(prolly means 1/4" hex drive)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99618

I have pretty much the same thing, made by gearwrench, but I've seen them marked with other brands. I keep the 10mm and 1\4" adapters in my little altoids tin. It's too bad the 3\8th adapter requires a 13mm and the 1\2" requires a 19mm since I don't carry wrenches in the size. Maybe I'll try to grind the one down to 12mm and the other down to 17mm.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #574
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I have pretty much the same thing, made by gearwrench, but I've seen them marked with other brands.

It's too bad the 3\8th adapter requires a 13mm and the 1\2" requires a 19mm since I don't carry wrenches in the size. Maybe I'll try to grind the one down to 12mm and the other down to 17mm.
I was thinking the same thing, uncommon sizes. Maybe someone has a patent on the using 17mm and 12mm?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #575
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

I was thinking the same thing, uncommon sizes. Maybe someone has a patent on the using 17mm and 12mm?

Doubt it since the patent wouldn't work that way exactly. You can't take a patented item, change the size of the wrench it uses and sell it. Also, I've seen this exact same thing marked under gearwrench, kobalt, craftsman and some other no name brands and they are all the same item.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #576
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Doubt it since the patent wouldn't work that way exactly. You can't take a patented item, change the size of the wrench it uses and sell it. Also, I've seen this exact same thing marked under gearwrench, kobalt, craftsman and some other no name brands and they are all the same item.
Well, if its a poorly written patent, I'm pretty sure you can. I'll have to ask my dad, as thats his line of work.

He's told me about some patents where you could change a part from a coiled spring to some other method of springing, and not be in violation of the patent.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #577
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,736

Quote:
If the device is private labeled to several toolmakers in the less common 19mm and 13mm sizes, it makes it more likely that there is some protection on fitting the device to the more commonly used sizes of 17mm and 12mm. Why don't you do a search. Perhaps there is a manufacturer or licensee for the 17mm and 12mm sizes. Post your results here.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #578
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
i dont think this has been mentioned yet, but i have a ktm 990 adv and put the owners manual and repair manual on a water proof thumb drive. i know its no good on the trail but if i need specific information, i could seek out some one with a lap top.
twodollardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #579
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead
i dont think this has been mentioned yet, but i have a ktm 990 adv and put the owners manual and repair manual on a water proof thumb drive. i know its no good on the trail but if i need specific information, i could seek out some one with a lap top.
I put my owners manual on the iphone. Unfortunately the servicing CD is such a bastard thing that it is impossible to use it except on a windows PC and even then it's horribly clunky.

Another tool I think is a useful basis for a trail kit is this one by Motion Pro.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/
Old 06-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #580
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk
I put my owners manual on the iphone. Unfortunately the servicing CD is such a bastard thing that it is impossible to use it except on a windows PC and even then it's horribly clunky.

Another tool I think is a useful basis for a trail kit is this one by Motion Pro.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/
That was mentioned already. If you look up the patent # it says snowboard tool and smoking pipe.

The ones MP sells aren't drilled to be used as a pipe though, but talk about a multi use item, if you can't fix the bike, take a rest and smoke a bowl!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #581
theksmith
complete n00b

Oddometer: 61
since i started a storm back when i suggested you might make jumper cables out of 14 gauge extension cord... figured i'd post what i ended up with:

i bought a nice set of "8 gauge compact jumper cables" from rockymountainatv, they are quality stranded wire and good flexible insulation. but they were 8 foot long and the clamps were pretty bulky... here's what they looked like when i got them (the bag in the pic is 9" square for reference):

i cut them down to 5 foot length, which i think is plenty for most situations involving a bike. then i cut off the existing large clamps and soldered on new smaller clamps from radioshack and used some heat-shrink on the connections as well. here's how they came out, and are much more compact and easily storable on the bike:

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #582
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith
since i started a storm back when i suggested you might make jumper cables out of 14 gauge extension cord... figured i'd post what i ended up with:

i bought a nice set of "8 gauge compact jumper cables" from rockymountainatv, they are quality stranded wire and good flexible insulation. but they were 8 foot long and the clamps were pretty bulky... here's what they looked like when i got them (the bag in the pic is 9" square for reference):

i cut them down to 5 foot length, which i think is plenty for most situations involving a bike. then i cut off the existing large clamps and soldered on new smaller clamps from radioshack and used some heat-shrink on the connections as well. here's how they came out, and are much more compact and easily storable on the bike:

Wow, them's are nice!

Maybe you should mass produce a few hundred and start a Vendors thread!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #583
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

anyone using a jesse rear compartment?

For months and months I was looking at an old 15 cassette case logic case thinking to myself, man that thing would fit perfectly into the jesse compartment, would make putting tools in and out a helluva lot easier....

So since I had the compartment in the kitchen this evening fitting a new rack to it I realized I had never checked the fit....

Off I go to grab the cassette case and it slides in like a glove. The door won't close completely with the actual plastic cassette holder in it, it's about 1\8th of an inch too long, but the height and width are perfect. Out comes the inner plastic thingy, tools are dropped in the case and I slide the case right in. Poifect, now I can actually grab the whole lot out and once instead of reaching in and feeling my way around for shit, or removing everything just to get to the flashlight that always makes its way to the other side of the box.

The case (with internal plastic tray) is 12"x5"x3".

Here are some pics of the Case Logic CL-15 cassette case (you can probably find em on eBay. Actually, you can probably just search eBay for 15 cassette case and most of them are the same size, I see a few now labeled as TDK and other brands, the TDK is pleather (easy to waterproof).
http://cgi.ebay.com/TDK-Leatherette-...m#ht_500wt_956

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #584
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith

Have you actually run a test with them, firing a dead bike? I have had really poor luck with motorcycle jumper cables, in many different forms. The best had their own notched-ring connectors that you had to install to gen the dead bike to fire at all...clips and the like have never seemed to work for me...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #585
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
Have you actually run a test with them, firing a dead bike? I have had really poor luck with motorcycle jumper cables, in many different forms. The best had their own notched-ring connectors that you had to install to gen the dead bike to fire at all...clips and the like have never seemed to work for me...
I can not see those clips holding well for most bikes, but for some where you get to the battery from the side in might work great if you can get in the hole on the side where the battery bolts screw into.

The ones I put on my cables and my mini jump box have a round notch on the tips of the clips in order to grab the battery bolt. They work the best and I have 5 different types of alligator clips lying around here that I bought and removed from other cables and the original cables from the jump box, most of them suck.

I'll have to take a pic of the ones I found work best on a variety of bikes.

true or false, copper connectors work better than standard? The ones I ended up using were copper.