http://www.motoworldracing.com/Ogio-450-Fanny-Pack.html
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #47
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
If you or someone with you has managed to miscalculate on fuel range, it's very handy to have a way to carry and/or transfer fuel. To minimize bulk, I carry one of these:

I roll them up like so...

..and stick them in a gallon-size Ziplock bag to prevent abrasion holes or scars:

WTF is it? It's the double-layer-with-a-thread-off-cap-with-a-good-seal Mylar bladder from one of these:

It's called a Starbucks Coffee Traveler when you order it...You can either buy one with coffee in it for the office junkies like I do on Fridays, aor if you find the right cutie-behind-the-counter they'll usually give you an empty one for free if you inquire nicely.

After you clean/dry them out, they hold about 1.2 gallons of gas for any duration and are very durable. They fit nicely in a backpack and are relatively easy to pour. Dunkin Donuts makes a "Joe-to-Go" box too, but the bladders are very awkwardly shaped for carrying and have crappy lids.
For what duration have you used this with fuel in it? Did you have to transport it at all and if you did, how did you tie it down without busting the seams or popping the cap? I would have thought the fumes and crap in the fuel would melt or disentegrate the mylar.

Thanks for starting the thread - you've given me much to think about. You should post a link to this in the Trip Planning Forum.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #48
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad
Thanks! I was too busy lookin' at the pics and descriptions....

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #49
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
For what duration have you used this with fuel in it? Did you have to transport it at all and if you did, how did you tie it down without busting the seams or popping the cap? I would have thought the fumes and crap in the fuel would melt or disentegrate the mylar.
Weeks! They won't turn into a science experiment. I filled it, had stuck it back into my backpack and not emptied it entirely, and left it sittign in my backpack for weeks with no deterioration.

Test it out beforehand, I guess, If you don't trust it. That's what I didthe first time the notion struck me to use the bladders - I filled it, let it sit in the sun and get to full vapor pressure, and then bounced on it a bit to test the cap seals and seams. These bladders are STRONG!!!

I choose that particular bladder because it fits really well in a anarrow backpack when filled. Most other bladders are like a wine box bladder: square and awkward when filled. Some other bladders, however, have enough material outside the seams the you could easily install grommets at the corners to be able to tie the bladder down....although, I would only consider this in an emergency. I carry mine in my pack because it seems a lot safer than having it exposed on the bike, as crazy as that sounds. Also, it gets a much better/smoother ride on your body.

hilslamer screwed with this post 03-14-2008 at 07:01 PM
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #50
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran
+1. I never understood why riders will pack gear/tools one their person.
after asking a bunch of off-road riders why they dont pack the gear on the bike, i was met with the look reserved for idiots and zero response. there is no way that i would strap such a tool belt about my person.

those riders that would do so ought to take a moment to enlighten this fool.

# 1 weight on your body can be moved to aid in bike control, front to rear and side to side.

#2 body mounted gear takes less abuse than bike mounted gear( doesn't get bounced around as much).

#3 good enough for Dakar and ISDE competitors, good enough for me.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #51
manden
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great post just dropped close to $300 at my local dealer for tools. I'm afraid to ask but what about spare parts do you bring with you? Also do some tools remain at home for shorter rides or is that pack a never-leave-home-without-it deal?
Thanks
manden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #52
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,234
Great thread.

I have experienced some problems with Alieve Gel caps. They tend to melt and leak when they get hot. I am not sure what is inside of those caps. But I will almost guarantee you that it will taste worse than anything else that you have ever experienced.

I haven’t been carrying a kit. And add to the problem is the fact that I ride alone. I feel that my clock has been ticking for quite some time now. I need to get on this.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #53
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound

# 1 weight on your body can be moved to aid in bike control, front to rear and side to side.

#2 body mounted gear takes less abuse than bike mounted gear( doesn't get bounced around as much).

#3 good enough for Dakar and ISDE competitors, good enough for me.
thanx for that input.

for every action, there is an equal and opposit reaction. Thus, I remain unconvinced. backpacking, among many other activities, has convinced me that carrying any unnecessary thing on my person is usually a bad idea over the long run/ride.

i am still open to discussion. i can see having some critical stuff on my person if separated from the bike, like the cell phone, ID, medical info, tracking device.

not to hijack the thread, but sorting out the critical personal gear from the stuff packed on the bike might give some insight. reasons should be given. Thus:

wrenches/tools for the bike dont need to be on my person if properly secured to the bike to prevent loss. i would hate to fall on the tool roll. i would also hate to fall into deep water and have to decide to jetison the gear belt in total.

the med kit, cell phone, small LED light, and the fire starter might be better on my person. i would hate to lose such gear with the loss/separation of my ride. thus, in desert conditions, wearing the hydration system seems better than packing it.

Notice that backpackers tend to actually weigh their gear. Racers weigh their gear.

some off-roaders should weigh their stuff on their person and let us know how much they carry.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #54
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
nice thread, hilslamer.

good point on the flashlight and how to use it.

i am reminded of my caving days. certain gear ought to be redundant to some extent. cavers carry 3 sources of light as a minimum. amazingly to me, i discovered 3 light sources in my kit when i laid it out for inventory after reading this thread.

it didnt surprise me that there are 3 sources of fire in my kit. 4, if you count the bike itself. if the el cheapo butane lighter loses its fuel, dont consider it worthless. it still has flint&steel, as a nearly last resort.

KUDOS: to all the posts of old dirt bike tips like hose clamping the tire irons to the bike frame. stretchy PVC electrical tape is sterile and will hold small cuts together nicely if not wrapped too tight for circulation. the small tin will hold a lot of small bits like tire valve cores, cable ends, fuses etc. pack a bit of foam in there to keep the rattle down. and wrap the tin with a rubber band cut from an inner tube. a regular rubber band will not take the stress of off-road.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #55
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT
One of the best threads I have seen, Thanks for the excellent work!
Yes, +1. Thank you. ...Even links to where to get the stuff.

I'm not sure if I want to use a waist pack, but I was wondering if this good Ogio one would also have space for the other stuff I carry. Obviously, it does have enough space for at least one Fenix. And a medium size Spyderco wouldn't be a problem. But maybe my first-aid kit and some of the other edc stuff I like to carry would be too much for it if I carried that much tools and spares.

cat screwed with this post 09-30-2007 at 10:21 AM Reason: addition, questions.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #56
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
I bought a
Cruz Tools - Outback'r M14 Folding Metric Tool Set

to keep in my tank bag - and used it twice already!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #57
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
Maybe it's the old roadracer thing, but I never leave on a long trip without safety wire and safety wire pliers. I've never even heard of Iconel wire, but that stuff sounds DAMN cool. The safety wire is stainless, so it's not as high strength, but is also not going to turn your pack orange.

I'm also very fond of the 4-in-1 screwdrivers. As pointed out, they're actually 5-in-1 as they have a 5/16" hex driver.

The 5/16 size of the bits is slightly less common than the 1/4" hex, which is the size used in the "cordless screwdriver bit kits" like this:

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/images/sd242.jpg

There are "manual" screwdrivers that take this size bit such as this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ftsman&filter=
Type%7CScrewdrivers&vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&sName=
Screwdrivers

Sorry, the link is a mile long. Anyway, you can raid the "bit kit" for metric allen bits and torx bits if your bike has them.
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #58
starchaser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Excellent thread and well written.
starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #59
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
Awesome thread, thanks. Is this wrench part of a set and do you remember which one? I can't find it on the husky web site or in any stores by it's self.
Thanks, nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer

nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #60
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfranco
Awesome thread, thanks. Is this wrench part of a set and do you remember which one? I can't find it on the husky web site or in any stores by it's self.
Thanks, nick
I found it at HomeDepot. by itself with six screwdriver points and the 5/16" to 1/4" converter to use 1/4" drive sockets. I also take a 1/4" extension and another converter to fit into tight places.

it's very nice but I wonder how sturdy it is.

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote