Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #616
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
It amazes me some of the tool kits you guys have put together, they put mine to shame.

I was at a small sport bike rally (only about 50-60 people) a while back and with only a very basic set of hand tools and a can of chain lube, but I became known as "the tool guy". I did some wrenching on at least half the bikes there, I was amazed that some people didnt even bring their stock tool kit.

I have been meaning to expand my tool bag, thanks for the ideas

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #617
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
As I scan through all the post and pictures, I notice some have this long nose Vise-Grip and some have the 5" regular nose Vise-Grip. I cannot decide.

If in an emergency, the regular nose can be better as a make shift lever for a broken clutch, brake, or shift lever. I already have a mini long nose in my micro multi-tool from Walmart.

Somehow, I don't feel the long nose Vise-Grip can be much beyond being just a long nose plier.

Any inputs from you guys?
FWIW I bought a 2-pack of the new-style vise grips (with the blue/yellow handle -- feh) and it came with a regular sized (full-size?) standard vise grip and a smaller "needle" nose vise grip. I got it for the little one and added it to my toolkit. It has underwhelmed me consistently. I don't know if it is it's smaller size or smaller grip area but it can barely clamp as hard as I could squeeze a pair of pliers. The larger of the two... well, I can't think of a suitable metaphor but I'll just say it consistenly *impresses* me with the incredible clamping force it can generate. I've bent some thick metal with those.

I am re-working my toolkit and the needle-nose vise grips are getting the boot. I don't actually have any plan for them cause they don't seem all that usefu. How's that for input?

edit: This picture is close but mine are the style that don't have the little "release" paddle. That is the "new-style" that I am referring to. I prefer the ones with the paddle.
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #618
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,572
The problem with the 4LW is that is is way too buky around the nut to be useful 99% of the time when said nut is in a tight space. Same reason I never bring or use ratcheting wrenches as they are just too big and useless.

I also realized that I almost NEVER actually USE the needle nose vise grips for it's intended purpose except for using them in place of regular needle nose pliers (usually to grab the pinch things on hoses to pull them off and to pull stubborn fuses).

I have however used them in place of a busted clutch lever and shift lever and to hold shit together for soldering and welding.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #619
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Somewhere in the woods of Quebec is my buddy Joe's complete KLR toolkit. He laid it down on a rocky section and didn't notice till it was too late that the tube had shattered on one end...
I snapped the big hose clamps that held mine on a few times and then gave up on the idea. Might be alright for on-road.
Building Tool Tubes too wide is a problem. If you have an engine guard don't build the guard any wider than that and you will be safe. Welding rod tubes work well.
I broke too many SS clamps before using heavy duty Zip-ties and/or wide Velcro. You can resue the Zip-ties if you don't cut them off though release the locks with a small screw driver or the end of of another Zip-tie.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #620
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Tool tubes

I think you are right a narrow tube would be less likely to bust. I did the big zip tie thing. Even found some that were re-usable. In the end I found it way more convenient to have a tool roll I could grab out of my luggage. Might still put one somewhere for spare parts and crap I don't need regularly. Even when I'm stripped down with no hard bags I always have my stich panniers which i usually mount as saddlebags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Building Tool Tubes too wide is a problem. If you have an engine guard don't build the guard any wider than that and you will be safe. Welding rod tubes work well.
I broke too many SS clamps before using heavy duty Zip-ties and/or wide Velcro. You can resue the Zip-ties if you don't cut them off though release the locks with a small screw driver or the end of of another Zip-tie.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #621
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Cool way to store duct tape (thanks to the duct tape thread for the link).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #622
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by trasko
Mine have survived quite a few jaunts off-road but all my sockets/allen wrenches have rusted to shit. I didn't think moisture got in there but it did. Ever since I put the tool tubes on the front I've been wanting something else -- something "cleaner" -- as if that somehow applies to KLR. That said, for a couple of years now I've had all my heavy tools down low and always with me which is way better than before. I'm going to leave them there till I have something better.
Not to interrupt, but I wonder if a couple packages of desiccant mixed in with the tools would help with keeping moisture at bay? I don't know if standard moisture would simply cause the desiccant to be rendered useless by the morning of day 2 or not though.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #623
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddane
Not to interrupt, but I wonder if a couple packages of desiccant mixed in with the tools would help with keeping moisture at bay? I don't know if standard moisture would simply cause the desiccant to be rendered useless by the morning of day 2 or not though.
This isn't a huge deal out here in AZ, but that's a very valid suggestion in many other locations and inside sealed cases of all kinds. Any suggestions for small packets? Also, how do you tell when they can't "dessicate" anymore?
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #624
flick
Man on a mission.

I am considering mounting one of these on the side of a hard case to hold my tools. Just cut some foam to fit and it should hold everything pretty nice.

http://www.rotopax.com/storage-singl...p-1-pr-77.html

And mount their Road+Trail Emergency kit on the other case for all my first aid needs.

http://www.rotopax.com/roadtrail-eme...p-1-pr-84.html

With the double mounting brackets I could also mount 2 gallons of gas on each side for longer adventure rides.

edited for typo

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #625
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddane
Whenever I unpack goodies from the mail in the garage I usually toss the the little desiccant packets in with the tools or the med-kit. Can't really prove anything I figure it helps. Still didn't prevent my tools from rusting horribly in my tool-tube, though. I figure that was just a leak that developed at some point due to the severity of the rusting.
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #626
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Roto Pax ... nice box, $50 is a bit pricey. Rather buy a Pelican for more usable space.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #627
flick
Man on a mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
Roto Pax ... nice box, $50 is a bit pricey. Rather buy a Pelican for more usable space.

I agree about them being pricey, but the ability to mount all that stuff on the sides of some hard cases made it seem like a good idea.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #628
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by flick
I agree about them being pricey, but the ability to mount all that stuff on the sides of some hard cases made it seem like a good idea.
I think I'd rather simply have bigger hard cases. The whole idea of hard cases in my mind is to have big capacity of secure storage that you can leave on the bike and not have to strap so much on, Beverly Hillbillies style. Having lots of extra stuff mounted on the outside would run counter to this, at least for me.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #629
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I recently had my car in for brake work and instead of using a paper floormat, they used a small piece of plastic material that is a little thicker than a normal tarp. It was about a foot and a half by two feet and instead of throwing it out, I took it back with me and added it to my toolkit. Since it's not woven like a tarp, there's no edges to fray and it shouldn't become 'brittle' or dry out like I've seen tarps do.

I just got lucky, but next time your car goes in for service, see what they use and snag one.

other things are a big trash bag (can be used to prevent hypothermia, too) and a scrap of DuPont Tyvek or one of it's impostors might be had for the bubble from a construction site. if the crinkley noise is a bother, run it through the washing machine - NO dryer!
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #630
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Got these mounted yet?

I was thinking of either mounting the 2-gallon unit to the side rack somehow with a pelican hardbag or just putting it on the rear rack and strapping my gear bag on top of that. I just want a clean look to it and yes, not have it lookin' Beverly Hillbilly style. Strapping stuff down sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick
I am considering mounting one of these on the side of a hard case to hold my tools. Just cut some foam to fit and it should hold everything pretty nice.

http://www.rotopax.com/storage-singl...p-1-pr-77.html

And mount their Road+Trail Emergency kit on the other case for all my first aid needs.

http://www.rotopax.com/roadtrail-eme...p-1-pr-84.html

With the double mounting brackets I could also mount 2 gallons of gas on each side for longer adventure rides.

edited for typo

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote