Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #676
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251
Any reason you go this route instead of combination wrenches?
I had the double open ends in my tool box for over 30 years and never used them. I had a set of combo wrenches. Now that I am finally building a legit respectable motorcycle carrying tool kit, I went with the double box, because I already have the double open ends. Probably cost more than it had to because double box are less common than combos and generally slightly more.

Another reason, more important, is weight and efficiency. There is the possibility that I will take out the 3 double open ends and replace them with one adjustable wrench or one Vise Grip locking wrench. I really like the locking wrench as it grips 3 sides of the fastener and it locks down tight, minimizing roundoff. When things DO get round off, using it won't damage the fastener further, unlike the Vise Grip with the teeth. Both locking wrench and adjustable have the disadvantage of a larger head so accessibility may be an issue. Weight and space saving? Not a whole lot if any, may be heavier and larger. So, for now, I'll stick with the double open ends.

Open end: 10x11, 12x13, 14x15 mm
Box end: 8x10, 12x13, 14x15 mm

Nepros did not have a 10x11mm double box to match my 10x11mm open ends. So I went with 8x10mm. Perhaps it is better, smaller fasteners tend to get rounded off easier just because they have less "meat" than a bigger fastener. AND, 11mm is not all that common.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #677
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
I've bought a bunch of those and I don't think I would trust them too much. A couple have succumbed to vibration and been relegated to the scrap pile. The one in my wifes purse broke. They are OK for my kids but i don't think I would want to depend on them for an emergency repair.
I suspect you've been buying toys

Although, a friend was quite upset when his Inova broke after a 3-4 foot drop to a wooden deck. I would have expected better, too.

I've had excellent experience with two brands. A Streamlight pencil lives in the car and another in my roadcrafter suit. A Fenix L2D lives on my right hip when wearing my R2P. I've lowsided when wearing the fenix. It still works perfectly but does have a tiny bit of road rash where it slid on the asphalt.

I use those because they are bright enough to illuminate shadows on sunny days. The Fenix is the better of the two. For general use I prefer the Petzl Tikka Plus head lamp. It lives in my tank bag.

All of them have outlasted the bulbs in the several mini-maglights that I can't bring myself to throw away. That doesn't say much for the maglights as I use the LED lights much more often. The maglights are used when I'm too lazy to fetch something better.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #678
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
I suspect you've been buying toys
I take a Jet Beam Jet 1 Pro and Fenix L1D. The first because it's a thrower and the second because it has a good low and lasts a long time. Both get beat up pretty regularly in use and have never failed. I have a Tikka that I try to use working on the boat engine but it's not really bright enough for what I need so I end up with one of those in my mouth, a pair of pliers in one hand and a shop mirror in the other, hanging upside down.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #679
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
== STORE IN/ON BIKE (all the time)
Socket: 6-15 mm (small sizes may need to go)
Hex bit set: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 (small sizes may need to go)
There should be plenty of 3, 4, and 5mm allen heads that you might not want to toss them. On my partiular bikes there are many fasteners in that size.

There mat be just a few, but the smaller sockets do come in handy. I believe small hose clamps use a 6mm hex head, or maybe 8. Not all hose clamps have a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

8mm hex is common enough that you might want to reconsider dumping them, the little stuff doesn't really take up more space or add much weight to the rest of your kit to justify dumping them.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #680
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro for general use:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

...although the HF cheapies definitely have better flood, IMO.

So do I - steadfast reliable light, always.
I also have one of these, good little light. I also have two of the shorter single celled versions. Same light but much shorter. I think it's just under 4" or just a hair taller than a standard bic lighter.

I have dozens of those little 3 celled LED lights. Some are great, some are crap. Depends where they're from and what batch they are. I have a few that say home depot that are great, and a few that are also home depot branded that are of considerably lesser quality.

I have an old one I bought that I love, its the same basic light but the ends are hex shaped instead of being round. Keeps the light from rolling away.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #681
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
... the several mini-maglights that I can't bring myself to throw away. That doesn't say much for the maglights as I use the LED lights much more often.
LOL...you too? I've got three Mini-Maglites in stagnant storage too...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #682
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
LOL...you too? I've got three Mini-Maglites in stagnant storage too...
They make some excellent led conversions for those. I forget which one gets top marks, candlepowerforums should have the answer.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #683
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
There should be plenty of 3, 4, and 5mm allen heads that you might not want to toss them. On my partiular bikes there are many fasteners in that size.

There mat be just a few, but the smaller sockets do come in handy. I believe small hose clamps use a 6mm hex head, or maybe 8. Not all hose clamps have a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

8mm hex is common enough that you might want to reconsider dumping them, the little stuff doesn't really take up more space or add much weight to the rest of your kit to justify dumping them.
My 07 Suzuki Bandit has been flawless for the 3 season that I own it. The only thing I really do is oil change. I have not had much chance to get intimate with the bike. So, I am still waiting to figure out the range if hex bit sockets and regular sockets that I need. For now, I'll take your advice and hold on to the 3, 4, 5mm.

I originally had 10-15mm. Then I couldn't reach a hose clamp, at an angle, with a screw driver but able to get to it with a 6m socket. So, then, 6-9mm got included.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #684
TheFrenchCanadian
Frog Prince

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
They make some excellent led conversions for those. I forget which one gets top marks, candlepowerforums should have the answer.
Yeah, Nit ize makes a good one, I have a couple.

TFC
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #685
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
I had the double open ends in my tool box for over 30 years and never used them. I had a set of combo wrenches. Now that I am finally building a legit respectable motorcycle carrying tool kit, I went with the double box, because I already have the double open ends. Probably cost more than it had to because double box are less common than combos and generally slightly more.
Cool. There is another advantage. Nuts and bolts are the same size, and this this setup you can bring, for example, two 14 mm's to bear when needed, but I can't with my 6 combination wrenches.

I don't know if that arises with bikes though.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #686
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
cool tool kit

I just picked this great kit up at Sears, thought I'd share. The quality is extremely good. Pretty much takes care of socket, hex, and most screwdriver needs, will be very small in a pouch. I'll add an extension and a screwdriver handle that also takes these bits, plus the mini t-bar kit people have discussed ($10 at Rocky Mountain), and think I'll be set for basic tools.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930035000P
http://milo.com/gearwrench-35-pc-microdriver-set-
Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #687
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I just picked this great kit up at Sears, thought I'd share. The quality is extremely good. Pretty much takes care of socket, hex, and most screwdriver needs, will be very small in a pouch. I'll add an extension and a screwdriver handle that also takes these bits, plus the mini t-bar kit people have discussed ($10 at Rocky Mountain), and think I'll be set for basic tools.

I original had a 1/4" drive sliding T-handle. Turns out it is higher profile than my mini breaker bar. Also, I bent the T-handle's sliding rod because it is pretty thin. With your kit, you don't need a T-handle. You have a "handle" already. You just need to add two socket extensions, a medium length and a short length..

Got myself a bit holder socket. 1/4" square drive on one end to fit onto a ratchet (breaker bar in my case) and assorted screw driver bits at the other end. I use it with the socket extension. This setup eliminated the big fat 4-in-1 screw driver.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #688
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 354
Quote:

For the Canadians out there, The kit is available at Canadian Tire as:

Mastercraft Maximum Mini Bit Driver and Socket Set, 35-Pc
Product #58-9271-4

I also wanted to thank hilslamer for starting this thread. You guys have some great suggestions, and I've picked up a ton of hints.

I'm on a KLR with a stock toolkit that I found rusting in an old sock, now it's got a few necessity's that I like, but longer road trips have taught me that I need to be able to handle more problems at side of the road, yet at the same time reduce overall weight. Those of you who are packing the small kits with "one tool does three things" are my mentors.

I store my zip-ties zip tied to the frame of the bike. ;) I hand more out to friends than I've ever had to use, at which time I apologize for the mud on them. :P

Are there any Canadian sources for a decent spark plug tool?

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/

Rotten Ronnie screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 03:48 PM
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #689
TheFrenchCanadian
Frog Prince

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie
For the Canadians out there, The kit is available at Canadian Tire as:

Mastercraft Maximum Mini Bit Driver and Socket Set, 35-Pc
Product #58-9271-4

I also wanted to thank hilslamer for starting this thread. You guys have some great suggestions, and I've picked up a ton of hints.Those of you who are packing the small kits with "one tool does three things" are my mentors.

I store my zip-ties zip tied to the frame of the bike. ;) I hand more out to friends than I've ever had to use, at which time I apologize for the mud on them. :P

Are there any Canadian sources for a decent spark plug tool?
Thanks Rotten Ronnie! Will keep my eyes open for when that goes on sale.

Couldn't get the link to work, maybe this one will?: http://tinyurl.com/yeshakc

I'd also like to thank those of you who have started/posted in this thread. I've learned a lot and have a good idea what I should have in my tool kit now.

Take care all,
TFC
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #690
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:

That kit has been mentioned already, just remember to dump the hex bits and replace them with metric as the ones in the kit are SAE. The nice thing about that kit is that they have star bits up to 55, perfect for BMWs, in case anyone was wondering, the metric sockets in the kit are 8, 10, 12, 13 and 14mm, the other 5 sockets are SAE, great when pulling over for that rider on the side of the road only to find out its a harley with a bunch of loose nuts and bolts.