Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #706
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I used an impact wrench for the first time yesterday and it totally blew me away. I must say I am smitten. . It pulled the clutch basket nut off in about 2 seconds as if it was only hand tightened but it was actually at some 200 ft. lbs, or kilo cubits or something like that. If you have never experienced the sublime joy of an impact wrench do NOT pass up an opportunity. It was a religious experience. I know you're probably thinking this is off-topic, but I'm brainstorming a way to carry it with my on-bike kit. Seriously.
How would you carry a compressor? Paintball's nitro tank would be the only resonable thing I could think of.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #707
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
I used an impact wrench for the first time yesterday and it totally blew me away.
I know you're probably thinking this is off-topic, but I'm brainstorming a way to carry it with my on-bike kit. Seriously.
I assume you used a pneumatic impact...IMO, if you need an impact on the road, things have gone pretty bad and carrying even a lighter manual-impact is pretty impractical from a weight and heft standpoint. To each their own, but you have to draw the line somewhere...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #708
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
I used an impact wrench for the first time yesterday and it totally blew me away. I must say I am smitten.
And another Tim Allen is born!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #709
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,887
Impact wrenchs to take off the nut on a hardened shaft can be bad news.
I know some manufacturers recommend against it, that is why clutch holding tools are used. YRMV
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #710
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
I used an impact wrench for the first time yesterday and it totally blew me away. I must say I am smitten. . It pulled the clutch basket nut off in about 2 seconds as if it was only hand tightened but it was actually at some 200 ft. lbs, or kilo cubits or something like that. If you have never experienced the sublime joy of an impact wrench do NOT pass up an opportunity. It was a religious experience. I know you're probably thinking this is off-topic, but I'm brainstorming a way to carry it with my on-bike kit. Seriously.

I got this for the holidays and let me tell you, it kicks ass. It's pretty compact and has quite a bit of strength, 125 ft lbs of torque. But the torque isnt adjustable and it will snap smaller bolts if you arent careful. Good around the garage but I wouldnt carry it around with me although it's small enough to put in a side or top-case.

DEWALT Heavy-Duty Cordless Impact Wrench Kit — 18V, 3/8in., Model# DC823KA

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #711
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Happy New Year, and special regards to the NYCFFers !

A buddy of mine back home has a 24v impact gun that he hooks up to his batteries in his truck (which is obviously 24v)...its pretty insane as far as torque and speed goes...

He got it from some military camp in Lebanon...it has German all over it and we assume it came in the late 70s with the roster of Unimogs that were ordered (by all the militias) during the war...

I keep BEGGING him to sell, but he won't...

Having one on the bike...that's pretty heavy...but I've been thinking of hard mounting an air compressor so we've had shittier thoughts
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #712
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
And another Tim Allen is born!
Brad, sometimes I think you're the only one who truly understands me.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #713
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Powertools necessary?

Are they really necessary on a motorcycle? I can see on bigger bolts. But those should be quite rare.

Quote:
Brad, sometimes I think you're the only one who truly understands me.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #714
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Impact drivers are cool tools when you need them, but you can get in trouble in a hurry with them and I wouldn't use them as a general way to loosen things. I have two in my toolbox and I haul them out for lug nuts, countershaft sprockets, etc, but don't use them except in special circumstances.

Carry one in a on-the-bike toolkit? Sure, right along with a drill press and sledge hammer.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #715
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Impact drivers are cool tools when you need them, but you can get in trouble in a hurry with them and I wouldn't use them as a general way to loosen things. I have two in my toolbox and I haul them out for lug nuts, countershaft sprockets, etc, but don't use them except in special circumstances.

Carry one in a on-the-bike toolkit? Sure, right along with a drill press and sledge hammer.

- Mark
You mean you don't carry a sledgehammer?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #716
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
You mean you don't carry a sledgehammer?
Otherwise known as rocks? I just find one beside the trail handy when they become neccessity...LOL
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #717
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
DEWALT Heavy-Duty Cordless Impact Wrench Kit — 18V, 3/8in., Model# DC823KA
I use one of these aroudn the shop, ad infinitum. They are sooo fast for disassembly and if you are gentle, reassembly too. With a littel practice you can have surprising "torque-dexterity" with them! IN the case of field repairs where you've got a bike stranded, for example, where you can't rescue it with a truck - and only with another bike and known-needed spare parts...these are pretty slick/light and just about as powerful:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=26528

...although they would never loosen a clutch-basket nut, countershaft nut, or otherwise. they would make the job faster though.

As I and others have said, if you absolutely need an impact in the field it's mostly because something has gone really, really wrong. These events are very few and far between IME, and in many cases could have been prevented by correct maintenance or assembly procedures.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #718
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I use one of these aroudn the shop, ad infinitum. They are sooo fast for disassembly and if you are gentle, reassembly too. With a littel practice you can have surprising "torque-dexterity" with them! IN the case of field repairs where you've got a bike stranded, for example, where you can't rescue it with a truck - and only with another bike and known-needed spare parts...these are pretty slick/light and just about as powerful:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=26528

...although they would never loosen a clutch-basket nut, countershaft nut, or otherwise. they would make the job faster though.

As I and others have said, if you absolutely need an impact in the field it's mostly because something has gone really, really wrong. These events are very few and far between IME, and in many cases could have been prevented by correct maintenance or assembly procedures.
Got a model # for that little makita? I've been thinking of picking up a mini impact driver, mainly to speed things up, not really to use as an impact gun. More of a fancy and small screw gun
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #719
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Okay, so I don't normally do much in-depth vehicle work, so the limit of my impact experience is taking off my lugnuts and opening the drain/fill holes in my diff. But the time I most appreciated an impact gun (air-powered), was taking the wheels off of my friends rustbucket of a truck. Man, the lugnuts were practically welded onto the studs, I coudn't believe how much work was needed to free them!

But yeah, I don't see any place for them in a bike toolkit. I don't think I would use one on the bike in a garage, as I've come close to tipping the bike over just with the breaker bar. And things can go pear-shaped a whole lot quicker with power tools as opposed to hand tools.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #720
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey
I do carry a spare plug on long trips (more the 10,000 miles). Instead of carrying it in a giant plastic case, I gap it, put anti-sieze on the treads, put it back in the original box with the cardboard ring around the treads and then wrap the box in duct tape. You now have a plug that you will never use and a handy supply of duct tape.
I don't mean to be antagonistic, but just in case you, or a n00b reading your post overlooks it: something to consider is that whilst more compact, the method you describe probably won't protect it from water. My main reason for carrying spare spark plugs is for when the existing ones get wet; either in a river crossing, or in the case of my SV, water-ingress into the front plug during prolonged rain (or a dealership cleaning the bike with a pressure washer).

If it's just a quick dip, or you're in hot climes, you might get away with a quick spray of WD40 and taking it out to dry for ten minutes. If it has been properly soaked (botched river crossing/floods) this may not suffice. Either way, a properly waterproofed spare plug carrier like the acerbis ones will allow you to get back on the road sooner.