Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
Well, I don't like to brag ......
Linda?! I thought you were dead...
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #737
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 717
I keep a 9" or so ratchet under the passenger seat where there's a cut out for a "U" lock... There's room for more, I'll probably sub in a 3/8" torque wrench instead.

BTW all my "basic" tools fit in a Touratech bag that goes under the top case mount on my GS:

Since it's not strictly waterproof, I bag everything up first:

Bagged up ready to go:

Not shown here is some spare wire, alligator clips and the LED head lamp I keep under the seat. As I mentioned above, the 3/8" drive ratchet goes under the seat as well...under the passenger area where there's a cutout for a "U" Lock.

Also not shown is the LED flashlight and Leatherman that I keep in my tank bag or in the "bag" built into the back of my Rallye Pro 2 jacket.
91Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #738
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 793
91, that is a nice, clean looking set up.

I am jealous, and will definitely have to rethink how I do things.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #739
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Thanks! I still need a decent flat repair kit plus tire irons and a more compact first aid kit than the one I carry now (I steal it out of my Mini)...

There's room for more in the TT bag too..densely packed but compact and out of the way between the tail light and the rack. I'll probably throw a test light in there (looks like a screwdriver w/a wire) and a spare plug or two in an Acerbis (or similar) case. I need to wrap some duct tape and/or some reflective tape around the wrenches and throw in a few smaller zip ties too...

Never had a need for spare levers (knock on wood) but I saw a nice, light plastic emergency set on a "card" that should fit under the saddle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
91, that is a nice, clean looking set up.

I am jealous, and will definitely have to rethink how I do things.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #740
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
Add jumper cables to the list.....

Definitely came in handy after a friend ran out of gas on their WeeStrom. Had their emergency flashes going for about half an hour and then their bike wouldn't start even with gas b/c the battery was too low. Pulled out the trusty jumper cables from the ST (unfortunately, you have to half take apart the ST to get to it's battery but that's a different issue) and jumped the Wee.

I keep a compact set under the passenger seat of the ST and have ended up using them a number of times for bike battery issues.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #741
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

By popular demand here's a list. I'm up in Northern Germany right now but will be home Friday to check the details.

As I recall the sockets are a standard 1/4" drive set from Sears 4mm-16mm I believe.

Two more 12-point sockets for the handlebar bolts ("female" Torx bits work too)...

Standard Torx bit set from Sears up through T50. I had to add the T55 myself. They're a mix of 1/4" and 3/8" drive.

Small beak-nose adjustable wrench and small needle nose pliers (I need to add a small set of vice grips).

The small bit driver has 6 or 8 double-headed bits (mix of screwdriver, torx and square drive bits). It ratchets/locks clockwise/counterclockwise and vice-versa by selecting the little red slide lock in the pic. I picked it up at a Hein Gericke store here for ~ 5 euro but I'm sure you can find a similar one in the US.

4 huge zip ties and some electrical tape...I've since added a few medium and small zip ties and some duct tape as well.

Standards set of Craftsman ball head allen keys...4mm-9 or 10mm I think.

Two thin combo wrenches: 12/14mm and 13/15mm

a 5/16" (?) drive ratcheting wrench plus an adapter to drive 3/8" sockets as well as a 3/8" (?) ratcheting wrench with a 1/4" drive adapter (again standard Sears Craftsman stuff).

3" long 3/8" drive "wobble head" extension...if you slide the socket all the way on, it functions as a regular extension.

3/8" to 1/2" drive adapter

3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter

combo 22/24MM allen key in 3/8" drive for front hub (Thanks for the Christmas gift Chris!)...it's aluminum so it may only last one or two times but it's light and compact...I have a huge 22mm steel allen key in my home tool box.

BMW spark plug cap removal tool and BMW spark plug socket (thin wall with built in extension)...can't recall the part #s right now.

8 or 9" Snap On pivot head 3/8" drive ratchet that I keep under the seat... I'll probably swap this for a 3/8" drive torque wrench.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #742
lousot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
sweet what bike is this for

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos

By popular demand here's a list. I'm up in Northern Germany right now but will be home Friday to check the details.

As I recall the sockets are a standard 1/4" drive set from Sears 4mm-16mm I believe.

Two more 12-point sockets for the handlebar bolts ("female" Torx bits work too)...

Standard Torx bit set from Sears up through T50. I had to add the T55 myself. They're a mix of 1/4" and 3/8" drive.

Small beak-nose adjustable wrench and small needle nose pliers (I need to add a small set of vice grips).

The small bit driver has 6 or 8 double-headed bits (mix of screwdriver, torx and square drive bits). It ratchets/locks clockwise/counterclockwise and vice-versa by selecting the little red slide lock in the pic. I picked it up at a Hein Gericke store here for ~ 5 euro but I'm sure you can find a similar one in the US.

4 huge zip ties and some electrical tape...I've since added a few medium and small zip ties and some duct tape as well.

Standards set of Craftsman ball head allen keys...4mm-9 or 10mm I think.

Two thin combo wrenches: 12/14mm and 13/15mm

a 5/16" (?) drive ratcheting wrench plus an adapter to drive 3/8" sockets as well as a 3/8" (?) ratcheting wrench with a 1/4" drive adapter (again standard Sears Craftsman stuff).

3" long 3/8" drive "wobble head" extension...if you slide the socket all the way on, it functions as a regular extension.

3/8" to 1/2" drive adapter

3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter

combo 22/24MM allen key in 3/8" drive for front hub (Thanks for the Christmas gift Chris!)...it's aluminum so it may only last one or two times but it's light and compact...I have a huge 22mm steel allen key in my home tool box.

BMW spark plug cap removal tool and BMW spark plug socket (thin wall with built in extension)...can't recall the part #s right now.

8 or 9" Snap On pivot head 3/8" drive ratchet that I keep under the seat... I'll probably swap this for a 3/8" drive torque wrench.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #743
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot
sweet what bike is this for
with all them tools, it must be a BMW

(the amount of torx bits gives him away, so does the TT under the rack bag)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #744
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

yah... R12GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
with all them tools, it must be a BMW

(the amount of torx bits gives him away, so does the TT under the rack bag)
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #745
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
put a kit together for my KLR

Yellow bag has sockets, wrenches and allens.
Black bag has everything else..
First aid was found at target for $10, I removed some stuff and added other things per recommendations throughout the thread.

I might end up stuffing all the tools into the black bag.. and its still a work in progress.

List of everything if you're wondering:

1/4" ratchet
3 or 4 or 5" extension
1/4" sockets, 5mm - 14mm (decided to keep them all in there in case anyone I'm riding with isn't prepared)
Screw driver (doubles as an 8mm too, easy to grab to get the side panels off the KLR)
Cheap allens (the red thing, 2mm-6mm)
good 6mm allen for some of harder to get to bolts
8,10,12,14,17mm and wrenches (stock tool kit)
Spark plug socket too
Wrenches for axle nuts and a cheater bar (cheat bar might go, easy enough to use your feet)
Forceps
Wire cutters
Vice grips
Regular pliers (might be taking those out..)
knife
zip ties
safety wire
2 part epoxy

I also have a nice tow strap tucked away too.. I like to go places the KLR shouldn't...

sallad screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 09:21 AM
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #746
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Very no-nonsence.

I like this setup.. Some people just go overboard. If you need any more tools than what you have here.. You probably need to take the bike into the shop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallad

First aid was found at target for $10, I removed some stuff and added other things per recommendations throughout the thread.

I might end up stuffing all the tools into the black bag.. and its still a work in progress.

1/4" ratchet
3 or 4 or 5" extension
1/4" sockets, 5mm - 14mm (decided to keep them all in there in case anyone I'm riding with isn't prepared)
Screw driver (doubles as an 8mm too, easy to grab to get the side panels off the KLR)
Spark plug socket too
Wrenches for axle nuts and a cheater bar (cheat bar might go, easy enough to use your feet)
Forceps
Wire cutters
Vice grips
knife
zip ties
safety wire
2 part epoxy

I also have a nice tow strap tucked away too.. I like to go places the KLR shouldn't...

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #747
klondike300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallad

1/4" ratchet
3 or 4 or 5" extension
Spark plug socket too
Forceps
Wire cutters
Vice grips
knife
zip ties
safety wire
2 part epoxy

Where'd you pick up those larger size "flat" looking wrenches? That rear axle nut size?
klondike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #748
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike300
Where'd you pick up those larger size "flat" looking wrenches? That rear axle nut size?
Those come stock in many OEM toolkits, those particular ones with the offset head look to be Kawasaki units. That and the sparkplug wrench are really the only tools in most OEM kits worth keeping, unless they come with some other bike specific tool.

Just search ebay for toolkit (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha) and look through them. You should be able to pick one up for a couple bucks.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #749
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Hey, I wanted to thank you guys for the good info. So far I've put together tool kits for my DRZ400S, two Honda CT90 trail bikes and my ATV. I've bought three of those equipment manual tubes from Agri-supply as well.

I've also picked up a number of tips to use, the prewired jumper cable leads (for both my DRZ and ATV) and the mini jack stand among others.

Thanks again
3/CT90s
Honda Spree
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #750
FindingMyWay
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Loving this thread!

My job requires that I fly with tools pretty often, so I'm always interested in seeing how other people reduce bulk and weight in their kits.

I've only just skimmed this thread as yet, but I've already picked up some cool ideas. Can't wait to give it a thorough read.

-Todd

Until hounds and helicopters get involved, you're not really lost
FindingMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote