Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #751
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
When I started riding, I had old bikes, and carried alot of tools, now I got newer bikes, go farther and carry alot of tools.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #752
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Wow, there is some great info on this thread. I started reading it as I'm getting ready for a trip to Mexico at the end of May and I'm learning all kinds of good tricks.

Thanks!!
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #753
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
OK Tom, maybe we should communicate a bit within our group so all 7 or 8 of us aren't lugging around 7 or 8 copies of this tool kit
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #754
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
OK Tom, maybe we should communicate a bit within our group so all 7 or 8 of us aren't lugging around 7 or 8 copies of this tool kit
No, I'm trying to get all of YOU guys to carry around this stuff so I don't have to.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***

tjrockit screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 07:25 AM
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #755
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
These have been mentioned before, but they are awesome! I have used them around the shop at work, and tonight I borrowed the small pair, as I'm putting my tool kit together, and the stock KTM axle nut wrenches are terrible. These will open to 35 mm, so I have the front (32 mm) and rear axles (27 mm) covered, as well as the countershaft sprocket (also 27 mm), and many many more. They will not round a bolt or nut. Seven inches long. Part number is on the handle. Knipex, and you can get them from MAC, Snap-on, or on-line.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #756
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
These have been mentioned before, but they are awesome! I have used them around the shop at work, and tonight I borrowed the small pair, as I'm putting my tool kit together, and the stock KTM axle nut wrenches are terrible. These will open to 35 mm, so I have the front (32 mm) and rear axles (27 mm) covered, as well as the countershaft sprocket (also 27 mm), and many many more. They will not round a bolt or nut. Seven inches long. Part number is on the handle. Knipex, and you can get them from MAC, Snap-on, or on-line.

Which size do you suggest for a on-road tool kit?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #757
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
If those pliers had been mentioned, I missed 'em. Dang, those are awesome.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #758
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I'm partial to the smallest knipex cobra. It'll grip a 27mm nut, only 5" long.

It's my "you can only take one tool to a desert island" tool.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #759
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
If those pliers had been mentioned, I missed 'em. Dang, those are awesome.
The look great, but keep in mind we're talking $50.... each.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #760
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Found them for $35 online, and they'll replace at least two tools in my kit: this (the smallest one) and these (the small one). The Craftsman wrench has nice wide jaws, but it's just barely capable of loosening axle-nuts that I've tightened at home with a real wrench (not a matter of leverage, the jaws start spreading). And I don't ever seem to have much use/need for locking pliers, except that they make a decent improvised shift/brake/clutch lever.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #761
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Maybe it's just me, but I just can't imagine using those pliers on an axle nut. I cringe whenever I see people doing so - even an adjustable as a poster above remarks, are crap for that kind of thing.

I'd sooner carry the proper wrench and deal with the little bit of extra weight that entails.

Just me though
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #762
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Which ones? The Knipex 86 series have smooth, parallel jaws. My only concern is whether it takes much effort to keep the jaws closed while you're tightening/loosening things. I don't like how much effort it takes just to keep normal adjustable pliers closed. Would rather put all my energy into tightening/loosening hardware.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #763
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran
thanx for that input.

for every action, there is an equal and opposit reaction. Thus, I remain unconvinced. backpacking, among many other activities, has convinced me that carrying any unnecessary thing on my person is usually a bad idea over the long run/ride.

i am still open to discussion. i can see having some critical stuff on my person if separated from the bike, like the cell phone, ID, medical info, tracking device.

not to hijack the thread, but sorting out the critical personal gear from the stuff packed on the bike might give some insight. reasons should be given. Thus:

wrenches/tools for the bike dont need to be on my person if properly secured to the bike to prevent loss. i would hate to fall on the tool roll. i would also hate to fall into deep water and have to decide to jetison the gear belt in total.

the med kit, cell phone, small LED light, and the fire starter might be better on my person. i would hate to lose such gear with the loss/separation of my ride. thus, in desert conditions, wearing the hydration system seems better than packing it.

Notice that backpackers tend to actually weigh their gear. Racers weigh their gear.

some off-roaders should weigh their stuff on their person and let us know how much they carry.
I have been carrying a waistpack(fannypack) for the last 30 years with no issues. One of my latest crashes (and I crash a lot) landed me in the hospital for 6 days but none of the injuries were because of the fannypack. There just aren't a lot of places to stash tools on dirt bikes without fabbing a rear luggage rack or similar. Of the few places you might find to mount tools, how many times have you needed that particular tool only to find out it fell off miles back. You might always "feel" the fannypack but at least you will also know if it falls off!

This has been a very good thread!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #764
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider
I have been carrying a waistpack(fannypack) for the last 30 years with no issues.
Some of the concern revolves around the stuff in your pockets, packs, etc, hurting you in a fall or collision.

A few years ago some bonehead turned left in front of me and you can still see the mark left in my chest by the bluetooth headset that was stashed in my shirtpocket...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #765
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Maybe it's just me, but I just can't imagine using those pliers on an axle nut. I cringe whenever I see people doing so - even an adjustable as a poster above remarks, are crap for that kind of thing.

I'd sooner carry the proper wrench and deal with the little bit of extra weight that entails.

Just me though
The smooth jaw pliers I showed above do less damage than the KTM 6 sided box wrench. If you haven't tried a pair, there is absolutely no risk of rounding the corners of a nut. These are light years ahead of standard pliers. The aircraft maintenance guys at work find them indispensable. Perfect for large hydraulic fittings and such. No need to cringe, these are not to be confused with channel lock pliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Which ones? The Knipex 86 series have smooth, parallel jaws. My only concern is whether it takes much effort to keep the jaws closed while you're tightening/loosening things. I don't like how much effort it takes just to keep normal adjustable pliers closed. Would rather put all my energy into tightening/loosening hardware.
Unlike channel lock pliers that try to open when the going gets tough, these are effortless, and lock tighter in proportion to the force applied.

B-Rod screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 01:59 PM
B-Rod is online now   Reply With Quote