User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #766
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
A few years ago some bonehead turned left in front of me and you can still see the mark left in my chest by the bluetooth headset that was stashed in my shirtpocket...
With a name like rectaltronics, you're lucky it wasn't in your hip pocket. That would have given talking out your ass new meaning.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #767
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
Unlike channel lock pliers that try to open when the going gets tough, these are effortless, and lock tighter in proportion to the force applied.
Thanks, that's good to know. Definitely going to add a pair to my toolkit.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #768
FuriousGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Which ones? The Knipex 86 series have smooth, parallel jaws. My only concern is whether it takes much effort to keep the jaws closed while you're tightening/loosening things. I don't like how much effort it takes just to keep normal adjustable pliers closed. Would rather put all my energy into tightening/loosening hardware.
I haven't used the smooth jawed plier wrenches, just the cobras which are great. From what I've heard though, that shouldn't be a problem. You can see by looking at them that there is a tremendous amount of leverage since the end of the handle that's moving is only a couple mm long. I've seen pictures of someone using a pair to remove studs. If it can grab a smooth round stud I'd think it would have no problems with an axle nut.
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #769
rushfjr
Sidetracked vagabond

Oddometer: 25
Great post and thread! I find that packing tools is like insurance. You can never have too much and you never hope to use it, but if you do need it you dont want to be caught short. I dont have a pic of the tools I usually carry, but I try to carry every tool I have used on the bike during all my prep work and as many spares as I can fit. Most spares are the originals that I upsized or upgraded. One trick I do is to loop all my combination wrenches together with 8' of 12ga wire. Multiy purpose. Also some spare bulbs. I've even been known to carry a battery powered soldering iron! As far as where to carry them? I put them in the bottom of my fiberglass saddle bag, but I was riding a full dress 1978 Yamaha XS1100 at the time. Spare cables dissapeared in the fairing along with my rain gear!
rushfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #770
MrPete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
These have been mentioned before, but they are awesome! I have used them around the shop at work, and tonight I borrowed the small pair, as I'm putting my tool kit together, and the stock KTM axle nut wrenches are terrible. These will open to 35 mm, so I have the front (32 mm) and rear axles (27 mm) covered, as well as the countershaft sprocket (also 27 mm), and many many more. They will not round a bolt or nut. Seven inches long. Part number is on the handle. Knipex, and you can get them from MAC, Snap-on, or on-line.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2696/knipexcopy.jpg
these things... WOW! never knew they existed.

Now to find somewhere in .au that sells them without breaking the bank

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...8&groupID=1500 is the page with all the details btw
MrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #771
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Toolkit

Was adding a few tools to my kit so that my F800GS was covered. My problem is that my toolkit needs to be able to fix all my buddies bikes as well.......
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #772
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774

I like this tool, I really do. However, aside from being a lot quicker to get it around the fastener, I don't see any advantage over an adjustable wrench. Being smooth jaw, I am not convinced that it can grip anything round that tight.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #773
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad

I like this tool, I really do. However, aside from being a lot quicker to get it around the fastener, I don't see any advantage over an adjustable wrench. Being smooth jaw, I am not convinced that it can grip anything round that tight.
This wrench opens to 35mm. They also make the same size wrench for gripping round stock.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #774
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,753
Quote:
I find it much easier to use than a crescent wrench. Crescent wrenches seem to always have some slack in the jaws. In use these don't. Maybe I've only used cheap adjustable wrenches.

No, you won't use it for anything round. That's the point. The stuff that is good for something round often chews up regular fasteners. If you want to grip round stuff and don't mind the possibility of chewing up fasteners check out the knipex cobra wrench.

Mine was first used on a friends bike. Seems that his chain was too tight and no one else had a wrench big enough to loosen the axle nut. The knipex tool did the job. Sure, a bigger wrench for more torque would have been nice as the in addition to the chain being tight the axle was way over-torqued. But it did do the job and doesn't take up the space of the larger wrench.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #775
FuriousGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Sorry, I think my message was confusing. It's not designed for gripping round stock. I just remembered reading somewhere that it was able to develop enough grip to grab a stud and remove it and it impressed me. I think this may have been the thread I was looking at.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26517

The picture in message 20 gives a great demonstration of how much leverage those things have.
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #776
DirtNap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Lots of great information in this thread, thanks to everyone that's contributed. I just bought an '04 950 S, and it came to me without a tool kit. The needed contents are pretty well documented, so that part isn't an issue, my question is where to start.

Would you recommend that I:

1. buy a KTM tool kit from ktmtwins and add to it, or
2. put together a tool kit from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

"when the going gets tough, just downshift"

2006 Goldwing | 2007 BMW F650
DirtNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #777
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge
Sorry, I think my message was confusing. It's not designed for gripping round stock. I just remembered reading somewhere that it was able to develop enough grip to grab a stud and remove it and it impressed me. I think this may have been the thread I was looking at.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26517

The picture in message 20 gives a great demonstration of how much leverage those things have.
That's a great write-up on the thread you posted. I didn't appreciate the difference between the cobra and the pliers-wrench until I read through that review. Now I think I'm gonna have to pick me up one.

I don't think it will be able to replace the most used sizes of box wrenches though in my field kit, since sometimes I find I need to squeeze a 10 or 12mm wrench into a space where the knipex won't fit.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #778
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
This wrench opens to 35mm.
If I have to carry a generic tool kit for all (most) bikes in the group, this would be the ideal tool to cover all the large fasteners not cover by the small wrenches & sockets in the tool kit.

If the axle nit is stuck on really tight, would this wrench be able to keep it's grip without having to get some bailing wires to tie the handles together?

I am seriously considering adding this to my kit. Right now, I have an axle nut wrench to fit MY bike but not anybody else's.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #779
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:

If the axle nit is stuck on really tight, would this wrench be able to keep it's grip without having to get some bailing wires to tie the handles together?

I am seriously considering adding this to my kit. Right now, I have an axle nut wrench to fit MY bike but not anybody else's.
The axle nut on my bike is precisely why I bought one and posted it here for consideration. The wrench that KTM supplied for the large front axle has bent, and although I could make it work in a pinch, I would never rely on it. My front nut was very tight, and other than my feeble arms having trouble, the wrench didn't even think about slipping. If anybody has watched the Noobs do Baja 1000 thread, you'll see that their race almost ended because of a poor axle tool.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #780
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
If I have to carry a generic tool kit for all (most) bikes in the group, this would be the ideal tool to cover all the large fasteners not cover by the small wrenches & sockets in the tool kit.

Why can't they carry their own

It's nice to help your mates and all but there are limits - everyone should at least carry enough tools to remove a wheel, take a spark plug out etc. If you can't even be bothered to do that, I'm sorry, I really don't want to ride with you.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote