Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #841
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mariner
Flipping through the thread, which is great by the way, I noticed that very few seem to carry around any multipliers. Do you store them somewhere else or do you always open up your tool kit for every little mundane task?

I have a couple of Leatherman multipliers. Mainly I use the model 'Surge', which is or was the most robust model they carry. It has two big blades(a good blade in my opinion is the most important tool you carry) and strong pliers(for a multitool). I have pretty big hands and find most multipliers too small to use properly. With the Surge I'm not afraid to use full force when operating the pliers. It has been designed so that you can operate the blades without flipping out the tool, with little practice you can flip the blades out with your thumb. Also you can flick the pliers open and operate them with one hand, which is also neat. Can't really do this with smaller models, because they don't have enough weight to flick them. Beside the blades and the pliers it carriers a variety of other stuff, screwdrivers, a good file and such. The edges of the frame are round, so it won't bite you even when you use considerable force with the pliers.

The Surge is big and heavy but they carry many smaller, lighter models. Of course all multipliers do every task with varying degree of success, but when you have them available you suddenly find a lot of use for them.
I always have the leatherman crunch in my tankbag or glove compartment. It's "pretty much" the only vice grip like multitool worth a damn. The jaws open wide enough to grab my rear axle and the tool is tough enough for me to stand on it to pop it off..

I also have a Kershaw model that is a needle nose vice grip. I barely use it as it is more of a collectors item, but I carry it just in case.

Gerber recently introduced a blunt tip locking plier, called the grappler, unfortunately that one only opens up to about 14mm, which is fine 98% of the time I guess, I wouldn't use a gerber to stand on in order to remove a rear axle anyway.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #842
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I always have the leatherman crunch in my tankbag or glove compartment. It's "pretty much" the only vice grip like multitool worth a damn. The jaws open wide enough to grab my rear axle and the tool is tough enough for me to stand on it to pop it off.
As it happens my other Leatherman is the Crunch, which I mainly bought because the local rescue helicopter association had a campaign, suppose they got a load of the tools for free and gave them away for a customary price. Important work they are doing so tried to contribute. Haven't found use for the locking pliers as they are so small, bit of a novelty item in my opinion. If you remove the plier adjustment screw you can use the end as a standard hex bit driver, which is kind of neat in my opinion, as I find that either the multitools don't have the standard hex bit option or use their own system, like Leatherman. Maybe they actually think that people will go through the hassle of acquiring special bits for their multitools, as you can buy standard hex bits for a nickle at the local store.
The Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #843
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
As it happens my other Leatherman is the Crunch, Haven't found use for the locking pliers as they are so small, bit of a novelty item in my opinion.
They open to over an inch, thats small? Thats bigger than 99.9% of the nuts and bolts on a motorcycle.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #844
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
They open to over an inch, thats small? Thats bigger than 99.9% of the nuts and bolts on a motorcycle.
If I need locking pliers might as well go with proper ones, to this day I haven't really. The Crunch is still a bit expensive to be kicked about and for the other tools on it, I have better ones on the Surge. As I said before, bit of a novelty item for me and haven't really used the thing for anything, just played around with it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #845
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
If I need locking pliers might as well go with proper ones, to this day I haven't really. The Crunch is still a bit expensive to be kicked about and for the other tools on it, I have better ones on the Surge. As I said before, bit of a novelty item for me and haven't really used the thing for anything, just played around with it.
It's definitely a novelty item, and frankly, any multitool is (when added to a motorcycle toolkit which has real tools).

But I cannot recall ever needing a pair of pliers on a bike other than to use to remove hose clamps that you squeeze to release. So for the times I need to do that I usually already have my toolkit out because I am pulling the tank. So I figure a locking type of plier would be best. Also it packs pretty small.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #846
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Hmm, I don't consider a good multi-tool a novelty item, but perhaps I'm looking at it from a different viewpoint. I carry a Sog Powerlock with me everywhere I go in my pocket. It's no replacement for a real toolkit on a motorcycle but I use it pretty much every single day and it's proven itself very handy. I've had it for 3-4 years now. I started intentionally abusing it about a year ago because I wanted an excuse to get the newer model. Prying things waaay to hard to try and twist it un-true, routinely using it as a hammer, and so on. It keeps going and I honestly have no reason to replace the thing.

For awhile when the "V-cutter" came out I wanted to upgrade to get that. Ends up you can take the Sogs apart and replace specific components, so I went that route. I got rid of the scissors (which I find a little silly) and replace them with the v-cutter. See the diff. options on the Amazon page.

The big selling point for the SOG Powerlock is that it's pliers have some compound leverage for the pliers. It really helps a lot -- normal multi-tool pliers do seem a little bit of a novelty in comparison. All the major brands make good ones, though. As far as I can tell the "2.0" Powerlock has 2 main differences vs. the one I have: 1) Newer locking mechanism that allows you to lock each tool separately (I dunno why this would be useful); and 2) shrouds over the compound leverage gears. I must say I've jabbed myself pretty good on those gears when reaching into my pockets a few times, but then again I do use them for things. The example that comes to mind first is breaking ice. I've always expected to bend those damn gears and they are still shiny and true like the day I got it.

Anyway, enough about that... yeah I think multi-tools are great. I use mine on my bike more than any other tool. Pliers to tighten up the mirrors that vibrated loose. Phillips to tighten up handle bar controls or take off body panels. File (which I use mainly to pry on things) gives me a little help in popping off the oil filter cover. Elec. problem: I can cut wires with the cutter, strip with the knife and then crimp a connector or twist wires together with the pliers. They are no replacement for a real toolkit but if you're just getting started or a lazy SOB then throwing one in your pocket will go a long way towards basic problems where you don't need to change a tire or take off a medium to large bolt.
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #847
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,052
I found I was still carrying a proper screwdriver, knife, and pliers along with the multi tool, so why bother carrying the multi tool.

Just as my XR650L is a poor compromise as a motorcycle, the kershaw multi-tool is a poor compromise of tools. I can't afford to replace the motorcycle with something better, but I can carry the correct tools instead of a pathetic excuse for locking pliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #848
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan
I found I was still carrying a proper screwdriver, knife, and pliers along with the multi tool, so why bother carrying the multi tool.
I guess I compromise - I tend to carry and use dedicated single-purpose tools on a longer trip, but carry a multi-tool along with the bike's toolkit for shorter. At home, I have a toolbox full of dedicated tools. I'm not going to vice-grip my axle nut and stand on the tool simply for convenience if I have a proper tool on the bike or in the tool chest 5' away. So I hardly every use multi-tools. I'm amazed when I hear people say they use them "every day".

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #849
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I'm amazed when I hear people say they use them "every day".

- Mark
Im not amazed, thats the reason whenever I get something second hand, the screws and small bolts are all damaged. People use the incorrect tool, or cheap screwdrivers that don't fit the screw properly. Even using a quality screwdriver bit in a good multi-tool slips often because its a poor handle for a screwdriver and often ofset from center. Small pliers on a multi-tool with an uncomfortable grip, really not big enough to get good clamping force (the Sog being an exception with its geared multiplier) are a good way to take corners off bolts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #850
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
I'm not going to vice-grip my axle nut and stand on the tool simply for convenience if I have a proper tool on the bike or in the tool chest 5' away.

- Mark
Same here, the two times I had to use the crunch for the rear axle were for other people with flat tires and we had to change the tube. Oddly enough, both times the person happened to have a spare tube but no freaking axle wrench!

I was on my Hawk those times and I do not carry the same tool kit on that as I do my other rigs, not enough room for one and that bike is used for local riding.

But it's nice to know the crunch can handle that task if need be
Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #851
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
snip... I'm amazed when I hear people say they use them "every day".
Well you'd think if a person used them every day then they'd just get real tools, right? I guess it just ends up that way. Examples: whistling air vent at work; use phillips head to pull cover off to adjust something up there... Notice errant beard hair in mirror -- pluck! Haha. Awhile back I was going through the crawl space at a friends place and snagged my shirt real good on a nail sticking out with the head ripped off. Out comes the SOG and yoink it out. Bam.

So do I use it every day to work on the bike? Not at all. It's a KLR. I've got duct tape and bailing wire for that.
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #852
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Im not amazed, thats the reason whenever I get something second hand, the screws and small bolts are all damaged. People use the incorrect tool, or cheap screwdrivers that don't fit the screw properly. Even using a quality screwdriver bit in a good multi-tool slips often because its a poor handle for a screwdriver and often ofset from center. Small pliers on a multi-tool with an uncomfortable grip, really not big enough to get good clamping force (the Sog being an exception with its geared multiplier) are a good way to take corners off bolts too.
+1

If you care enough to have some sort of tools, mind as well carry a real set of tools. Nothing chews up fasteners faster than a pair of pliers. A small quality set that duplicate every tool in the multi-tool would be preferable than the multi-tool itself. I see the multi-tool as a compromise. Is the smaller weight and volume saving with the multi-tool that important? My tool kit packs approximately 4x9x1. That includes a tiny flashlight and ONE cheap pocket knife (don't need 4 different blades).
Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #853
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Check out the photo of my tool kit at post #661.
Attached Images

xroad screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 08:23 PM
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #854
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Do you really need that ruler?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #855
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Quote:
Small pliers on a multi-tool with an uncomfortable grip, really not big enough to get good clamping force (the Sog being an exception with its geared multiplier) are a good way to take corners off bolts too.
SOG pliers are smaller than what you have on the Leatherman Surge to my understanding, what good is clamping force if the pliers can't handle it(and do you really want to try clamping anything with a needlenose). I seriously doubt that I could get any more force with the SOG than what I get with the Surge, as the Surge has a more robust construction and smooth corners, so it won't bite me when I seriously want to crush that bolt. Using pliers to undo bolts you want to use again is a mystery for me too.