Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #871
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524

seems like a small compressor would take up less space than all the air cartridges and you don't have to worry about not having enough air

just sayin'

meanwhile, +1 on the more drugs than food - that's just classic!

Oh, and don't forget the JB Weld to go with the spare shift lever (since the busted shift lever probably gouged a hole in your crankcase).....
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #872
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I find it humorous that you're carrying nearly as much tp as you are clothing.
Looks about right to me, priorities ya know.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #873
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
This is about the smallest compressor I have found yet with a guage and the short airhose stores in the side of the compressor so it's not in the way getting damaged. Wally Worlds got em for 10 bucks....

http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html

AND it has a LED light to boot!!!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #874
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677

I use wire on my lighter, that way I can reuse them. I like the med bottle with the skull and x-bones on it. I think I know what might be in there.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #875
jefffrankphotography
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
how long and how hot?

How long does it take to go from lets say 20 to 30 psi? How hot does it get? Is there a warning about prolonged use? and finally How loud is it?

I know its a bunch of questions for a ten dollar item, but I just gotta know LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
This is about the smallest compressor I have found yet with a guage and the short airhose stores in the side of the compressor so it's not in the way getting damaged. Wally Worlds got em for 10 bucks....

http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html

jefffrankphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #876
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
For a motorcycle tire, I would say 2-3 minutes Max, I've never timed it.
I'm sure it heats up but the case stays cool.
I believe it's max continuous run time says 14 minutes, it says let it cool down a few minutes after that. No way a mc tire that would take that long. And it makes the same amount of noise as any other I've heard. In short it works like the others I've had but is the smallest and easiest to pack and use that I have seen, especially for ten bucks.
Change the plug from the cigarette lighter to an sae (battery charge type) and it gets even smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffrankphotography
How long does it take to go from lets say 20 to 30 psi? How hot does it get? Is there a warning about prolonged use? and finally How loud is it?

I know its a bunch of questions for a ten dollar item, but I just gotta know LOL
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 08:47 AM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #877
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Change your two Big Lighter with one of this .

Prince Pocket Torch from Japan
Flame burn at 1300C for more then 20 min .

With this baby you can solder all your cables with new nippels or anything else that need high temp.
And the Cap prevent from start or losing Gas .

I use this Lighters for more then 15 Years , very good quality .

But carefull , don't get the copies . The original come in a clear plastic warp inc. a full technical discription in english .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #878
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE

+1 - that's what I have.

It's not obnoxiously loud. It is very compact. It does warm up if you have to inflate a fully flat road tire to 42 psi but it takes less than the recommended max run time of 14 minutes and cools off pretty quickly. They're cheap enough to buy two - one for the road bike and one for the off-road bike. Mine has definitely gotten myself and others out of jams so, in my book, it's worth double.

You could spend close to 50 clams on the super small one from aerostich or you could buy one of these and have 40 bucks more for gas and oil. Plus you save money on CO2 cartridges and don't find yourself stranded when you've got multiple punctures.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #879
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Nice thread Hilslamer and Crew.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #880
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Finally got my Strom's tool kit organized and a picture...

The mil-spec Kinetics cases I used for panniers (thank you Craigslist) had nice multi-pockets in them, foam for the interior medical whatever they carried. I ditched the foam and kept the pockets for tools & such. Works great. Here's what I normally carry:

Sears tool roll with gear-wrench multi-closed metrics, 3/8ths ratchet with 8/10/12/14/17 sockets, tire tools, hex wrenches, long bolts, zip ties, front axle tool.

Long zip ties, tire repair stuff (Tech repairs, plugs, 3-way tool, valve stems). Pressure guage, small compressor with case split for easy storing.

Nite Ize D-ring with 30' of tubular webbing (tow strap, extraction tool, whatever)

Autorange micro DMM, pen-drive with manual & parts fiche on it. Jumper cables, gorilla & electrical tape. Fuses, terminal selection & wire repair tools.

Credit card tool, mechanics wire, hose clamp assortment, large sheet of duct tape material, disposable funnel, nitrile gloves.

CREE 3wX2 flashlight, 5w headlamp (Remington).

Not pictured but always on me is a SOG multi-tool, small first aid & trauma kit, and a Kel-Tec PF9, cause you never know. Also a pair of big Vice Grips & a few sections of para-cord.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #881
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,852
Quote:
Nite Ize D-ring with 30' of tubular webbing (tow strap, extraction tool, whatever)
I carry short lengths of tube/webbing, in case I need to strap extra stuff or replace an existing strap....I'm gonna start carrying a long piece for tow. Thanks for the idea.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #882
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman
I carry short lengths of tube/webbing, in case I need to strap extra stuff or replace an existing strap....I'm gonna start carrying a long piece for tow. Thanks for the idea.
I used it for the first time this summer when a buddy's bike died. Worked great. I've since added a 2" O-shaped metal ring to the webbing, reason being you can loop the webbing through the ring, around the triple-tree and leave the loose end in the clutch hand of the rider being towed. It centers the tow strap, and also provides a fast "release" should the towee need to quickly abandon the tow for whatever reason.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #883
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I used it for the first time this summer when a buddy's bike died. Worked great. I've since added a 2" O-shaped metal ring to the webbing, reason being you can loop the webbing through the ring, around the triple-tree and leave the loose end in the clutch hand of the rider being towed. It centers the tow strap, and also provides a fast "release" should the towee need to quickly abandon the tow for whatever reason.
Can you say that again, using... different... words?
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #884
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,852
Quote:
A 2" O-shaped metal ring to the webbing...loop the webbing through the ring, around the triple-tree and leave the loose end in the clutch hand of the rider being towed. It centers the tow strap, and also provides a fast "release" should the towee need to quickly abandon the tow for whatever reason.
Quoted for awesomeness.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #885
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,402
Quote:
I guess I'm a little dense as I can't picture this. Is the ring loose or sewn-in? Which end is the "loose" end? Once you start towing, it's not loose anymore, right? How does this center the tow strap?

One picture would make it all clear, I'm sure.