Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #91
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I was thinking more something along the lines of THIS.

Keep the weight low like a fanny pack, but with a spot for a water bladder. Big thing for me, too, is torso height adjustability. But damn, they're expensive.

Found a reasonably good deal on one of these on ebay (still over $100), so I'll report in once I get it and get it set up.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #92
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
PM, have you tried one of the Ogio Flight Vests?

Goggle Pockets
Multi-functional Pockets
Magazine Pocket
Internal Zippered Pocket
Tool Organizer Panel
Cell Phone Pocket
Back Storage Areas
Hydration System pocket in the back
Weight 3.44 lbs or 1.56 kg
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #93
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntWare
PM, have you tried one of the Ogio Flight Vests?

Interesting. Haven't seen one of those in the flesh. Anyone here using it?

Maybe I'll check it out if my webgear never shows up. I haven't heard from the seller since I sent payment. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now since his address was outside of LA that he's somehow displaced by the fires. Hopefully neither my money nor my vest have gone up in flames.

Thanks, Ant.

Nate

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 10-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #94
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Interesting. Haven't seen one of those in the flesh. Anyone here using it?
Lots of folks. But they are backordered right now.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #95
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Lots of folks. But they are backordered right now.

Backordered is better than "missing and possibly incinerated (along with your $120)".

Pyndon '13
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #96
the brother in law
adventurer

Oddometer: 1
Great advice from hilslamer!

Anyone who is even considering any sort of genuine adventure ride or extended off road ride should carry some sort of variation of everything that is listed. Really. Sure, some things may seem overkill, but you may be surprised to how messed up stuff can get off road, and thats when all this stuff really starts to make sense.
Like he said, kits will differ between riders based on personal and mechanical differences (such as carry an epinephrine auto injector if allergic to bees, carry a 24mm wrench if thats what fits your rear axle) but what he has laid out is a well thought out kit, fine tuned after much riding experience. In the backcountry, away from AAA towing or medical help, improvisation and emergency repair will many times be the name of the game. I have raced enduros, desert, and hair scrambles. I have seen a broken arm splinted with a portable bicycle pump, have patched a hole in my crankcase with JBWeld, kept a muddy rim from spinning uselessly inside a flat rear tire with wire and zip ties, and used a 6mm allen wrench and 2 zip ties to replace a lost shock bolt while racing the Baja 1000. All these things would have been crippling without a good tool kit.
Butt tool packs are an excellent option, although not the only one. Weight should not be a reason to not carry tools, for there are many good lightweight tools available, such as what is shown. That 6mm allen wrench mentioned above was part of a bicycle multi tool from a bicycle shop. His kit also includes medical and survival equipment, such as the emergency blanket. Sometimes help is a long way off, so be prepared. Go to WalMart and put together your own survival/first aid kit. My local military surplus store has all kinds of little bags, pouches, organizers for this kind of stuff for fairly cheap.

Something I have found handy is an old mountian bike spoke. They have a little "hook" on one end, perfect for reaching into small areas to grab wires, zip ties, ect.

Also, a signal mirror is small and light, and can be seen for many many miles away. And, water purification tablets can save the day if stranded somewhere.

Great post, thanks for all the time spent and for all the detail.
the brother in law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #97
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by the brother in law
Welcome- nice first post!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #98
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,380
Originally Posted by the brother in law

+1

I look forward to your next post!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #99
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 322
Cry Everything perm. on the bike.

I have a full toolkit INSIDE the bike (not in tank bags or panniers).

"Everything" stays on the bike "All" the time, don't have to think of what extra is needed for a 200 km ride.

I think the 100mm diam., alum., GT-Moto tool tube is excellent. Mounted low down on the engine sump guard (in front of the engine) , it enables all the heavy tools to be carried safely, low down, making the best use of the C of E. Even has a hex set screw in the screw cap as a lock.
Home-made plastic drain tube will work.

In the tool tube goes :

small vice grips (great lever backup)
wiha screwdriver, hex & torx bits to fit all bolts (LOTS)
3/8" socket handle & socket fit the wiha bits
large adj wrench (more than 1" capacity)
small adj wrench
spark plug socket
LOADS of wire ties

Under the seat goes:

jump leads (no kick start on the Dakar)
full set 3/8" metric sockets with small 2" ext
iridium spark plug

In the rear comptmt. goes:

spare clutch lever with spare screw-on ends
spare bulbs
spare fuses
spare bolts, nuts & washers
tube repair
small piece 200g & 600g sandpaper
liquid steel epoxy (jb weld equiv)
100cm 1/4" spectra line (800lb swl)-can pull/lift bike out of a ditch.
self amalg tape.

On the frame, tie wrapped goes:

motion pro tyre lever/ 24mm wrench combo- duct tape elec tape rolled on the shaft.

In the jacket pocket goes:

the SOG muli tool

Under the rear rack goes:

21" tube stuffed under the rack...will work in the 17" rear in a bind.

I can pretty much jury rig everything with this kit, its all about carrying the most sensible minimal gear.

not much diff from other tool kits.

for long rides ill put a scavenged 12v tire inflater in the tank bag & a medical kit (& a voltmeter)

anything important missed?

PG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #100
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
An important tool

I read the entire thread and saw only one mention of an important and often overlooked tool.

The first time I had a flat I discovered that I did not have a valve core removal tool - and none of the three people with me had one. Sure, you can change a tube without one, but it does make the job easier. We were able to remove the core using the tweezers from a Swiss army knife.

Now I make sure that my bikes have at least one valve cap with core removing capability, plus a tool in my kit.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #101
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Excellent point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47

The first time I had a flat I discovered that I did not have a valve core removal tool - and none of the three people with me had one.
Excellent observation, RedHawk, and a major chink in my armor. I just forgot to list it...duh!

There's no question about this one - I buy them at WalMart in 4 or 8 packs and put them on both wheels of every bike in the garage.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM   #102
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,541
I ride a Gas Gas 300EC and find that I can carry a spare throttle cable just zip tied to the original...where it ends at the throttle body I just duct tape it closed after bending the cable in a small loop back on itself...so if the cable snaps I just reconnect the new one,without the need to take of fuel tank or radiator scoops etc. I know this might be difficult to do with a 4 banger as they normally have 2 cables???....

Hilsalmmer you opened up for suggestions also...I noticed that you don`t seem to carry a small assortment of fasteners in one of those small tins,as I do.(in a small tin also!!!)

I was on a ride out with a company in Malaga,Spain this summer (www.redtread.com) and we found that one of their Honda footpegs just loosened off. I was the only one there who had a small assortment of normal sized fasteners/self tappers and was able to provide them with a bolt so we could be on our way. No great weight involved.Like you if I had a beer for every time I `d produced a normal fastener for lost seatbolts,rear brake master cylinders etc or a split link for some one I`d be very happy. On that note I normally clip a split link to my throttle cable above the front light assembly,and with the clip,I paint it with tipex just in case,when being used it flicks off onto the ground where it`ll be easier to see.

Again I`ll use an old tie down in my back pack for lifting the moto up inclines after dropoffs as I too utilise steep mountain single track trails and they`ll also come in handy for the `stuck in a mud bog` where it`ll take 2 or 3 riders to pull a moto out.

Its surprising the amount of riders who appear with nothing and have faith in their moto,which normally does work,but its their riding that breaks stuff!!!...and they`ll always turn to me to ask for stuff first before anyone else...but I don`t mind at all.

Another thing we do here is after a break in the riding we get someone else to spend a minute or two just looking over our moto whilst putting on helmets and gloves to see if they see anything different than normal....last time we did this someone spotted loose sprocket bolts on a Husky that the rider was immuned to see!!!

This method might work well when doing your long distance rides.

Having said that your type of riding seems to be longer in `the middle of nowhere rides` as such compared to mine.In my instance I would`nt need the same medical stuff as you,though the eye drops will be included in mine as I had never them before.Finally,although I carry a couple of chain links I`d never thought of needing 2 split links...d`oh!!!!!....You`re never too old to learn eh??...

PS As another point if you ran moose in your tyres this would eliminate the need for patch kits thus the extra weight of Co2 etc and space taken up with same?

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #103
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler
PS As another point if you ran moose in your tyres this would eliminate the need for patch kits thus the extra weight of Co2 etc and space taken up with same?
True enough. But when the girl on your ride gets a flat?

Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #104
Hotfoot777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
tools and such
Attached Images

Hotfoot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #105
Hotfoot777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124