Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #1171
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
You will if it fouls or fails.
Or you drown the bike and want to pump the water out.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #1172
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
One thing I just removed was the spark plug socket. Do I need to be able to pull the spark plug on the trail?
Or you might want to use it to repair a broken water hose!

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #1173
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Or you might want to use it to repair a broken water hose!

Pure genius!

Spark plug removal tool will be added back to the kit for sure. I just have to figure out how to do it with the least amount of stuff.

Just a spark plug socket won't cut it. I don't think there's enough clearance in there for my little T-handle. I'll probably need either an extension or a u-joint. I'll have to experiment.

jtemple screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 09:30 PM
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #1174
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
Quote:
Pure genius!

Spark plug removal tool will be added back to the kit for sure. I just have to figure out how to do it with the least amount of stuff.

Just a spark plug socket won't cut it. I don't think there's enough clearance in there for my little T-handle. I'll probably need either an extension or a u-joint. I'll have to experiment.
Def try it - spark plug sockets are not all created equal.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #1175
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,576
Quote:
Here we go. I did some shopping and trimmed the fat. The whole kit now weighs 3 lbs 6 oz.

I also pack tubes, but they are not included in the weight.

One thing I just removed was the spark plug socket. Do I need to be able to pull the spark plug on the trail?
That tiny pencil gauge is great for poking your eye out. Try reading air pressure with it a few times, it will eventually just shoot the little stick out like a little bottle rocket.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #1176
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
That tiny pencil gauge is great for poking your eye out. Try reading air pressure with it a few times, it will eventually just shoot the little stick out like a little bottle rocket.
Eh, if it breaks, I can just guess on air pressure until I get home.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1177
scott_01_xr400
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Look at what bolts you need the sockets for and see if you can change them on your bike to allen head bolts. The allen wrenches in your MP kit should cover all those one you change them.

I carry this Motion Pro kit and it covers about everything on my bike I need to get to now that I have changed them out. It is a little bigger than a leatherman in the case. I added a tiny 1/4" rachet and a couple more allen keys. and a 6mm socket for jets.

By the way, I have an extra one that is brand new if anyone is interested. They are like $60 new. I would sell it for $38 shipped to you (48 state US).

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #1178
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_01_xr400 View Post
Look at what bolts you need the sockets for and see if you can change them on your bike to allen head bolts. The allen wrenches in your MP kit should cover all those one you change them.

I carry this Motion Pro kit and it covers about everything on my bike I need to get to now that I have changed them out. It is a little bigger than a leatherman in the case. I added a tiny 1/4" rachet and a couple more allen keys. and a 6mm socket for jets.

By the way, I have an extra one that is brand new if anyone is interested. They are like $60 new. I would sell it for $38 shipped to you (48 state US).

I loooked at one of those once and they are quite intricate and decently made. However they look an absolute pain in the arse to use in the real world so I never bought one. If anyone has some actual experience using them for more than adjusting the mirrors I'd love to hear how practicsl they are in usage.

Great price on a unit from the above poster.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #1179
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I loooked at one of those once and they are quite intricate and decently made. However they look an absolute pain in the arse to use in the real world so I never bought one. If anyone has some actual experience using them for more than adjusting the mirrors I'd love to hear how practicsl they are in usage.

Great price on a unit from the above poster.
I have a similar tool from MP (see my above photo, lower center) and I use it all the time. I love that little T-handle.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #1180
DV2MT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Tool roll

fits good with a bag of other needed items in a medium Rollie bag

11 G650GS
DV2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #1181
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 353
i just bought the motion pro titanium 8, 10, 12, 14 mm spanners. they are much shorter than regular spanners and extremely light. not really recommended for the workshop but certainly great for the trail.

over time i have found that i am buying some tool kits and taking out what i need for my bike.

i have a 6mm (1/4") t-bar drive for some sockets. but its been hard finding slot and star drive screwdriver heads that are integral with the socket body to fit the 6mm t-bar drive. i dont want to double up with having 10 mm (3/8") socket drive so its been a challenge so far.

im wondering whats the best way or the 'knack' to folding up spare tubes. ive tried heaps of ways but i still get a pretty bulky package. i wrap them in a plastic bag then duct tape the whole thing. any suggestions would be grateful.

bernadette
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #1182
Sachou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Rotary Tool?

Just skimmed through all 79 pages of this thread, and have found some very creative ideas, and am now putting together a personalized kit.

Just curious: does anybody pack a cordless Dremel or other rotary tool?

They're quite versatile, and are relatively small and lightweight. I can think of a few uses for one on the trail:

1. Drilling holes into plastics so zip ties or bailing wire can be used to stitch together fenders, etc.
2. Cutting apart mangled chains, or misc. post-crash parts.
3. Prepping parts for Quiksteel
4. Carry extra long spare bolts, so they can be cut to size when needed

These new Lithium Ion ones hold a charge for 2 years on the shelf, so no worries if you don't use it often.
My Toy Hauler - 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Sachou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #1183
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachou View Post
Just skimmed through all 79 pages of this thread, and have found some very creative ideas, and am now putting together a personalized kit.

Just curious: does anybody pack a cordless Dremel or other rotary tool?

They're quite versatile, and are relatively small and lightweight. I can think of a few uses for one on the trail:

1. Drilling holes into plastics so zip ties or bailing wire can be used to stitch together fenders, etc.
2. Cutting apart mangled chains, or misc. post-crash parts.
3. Prepping parts for Quiksteel
4. Carry extra long spare bolts, so they can be cut to size when needed

These new Lithium Ion ones hold a charge for 2 years on the shelf, so no worries if you don't use it often.
It would be convenient but be a little large to pack especially with all the extra bits. You can do anything the dremel can do by hand, sure it will take longer and you'll have to work harder but for the few times and few things that the dremel would be used for it's alright.

Drilling holes=poke holes with the awl on your multitool or SAK
cutting chains\bolts=piece of saw blade or if your multi tool has a metal saw
prep for quicksteel=piece of sandpaper

One thing that it would be good for is if you strip a bolt you can cut a notch in its head to use a large flathead.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #1184
Sachou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
It would be convenient but be a little large to pack especially with all the extra bits. You can do anything the dremel can do by hand, sure it will take longer and you'll have to work harder but for the few times and few things that the dremel would be used for it's alright.

Drilling holes=poke holes with the awl on your multitool or SAK
cutting chains\bolts=piece of saw blade or if your multi tool has a metal saw
prep for quicksteel=piece of sandpaper

One thing that it would be good for is if you strip a bolt you can cut a notch in its head to use a large flathead.
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that use. My buddy was trying to remove the headlight on his KLX650 the other day, and the only way we could remove the stripped screws was by taking a dremel + giant screwdriver to it. But then again you could probably still use a multitool's metal saw to do the same job.

Yeah...really more of a luxury item...probably something I'd pack in the toolbox of my pickup and not my bike.
My Toy Hauler - 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Sachou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #1185
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I have the metric one and have used it plenty. Fear not, it will pull it's weight. I've also all the add-on tips for it and they all fit in the pouch. Beautiful piece of equipment, handy around everywhere where you have phillips, flathead, torx screws or small bolts. Has a bottle cap opener also and the material is very strong, if you chip or scratch it you're doing something wrong.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote