Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #1186
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
im wondering whats the best way or the 'knack' to folding up spare tubes. ive tried heaps of ways but i still get a pretty bulky package. i wrap them in a plastic bag then duct tape the whole thing. any suggestions would be grateful.
Remove the valve core. "Fold" the tube once so the valve is at the top. Start rolling up from the bottom and squeeze out all the air. Reinsert the valve core. Fold any way you want -- it won't get any smaller.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #1187
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
I have the metric one and have used it plenty. Fear not, it will pull it's weight. I've also all the add-on tips for it and they all fit in the pouch. Beautiful piece of equipment, handy around everywhere where you have phillips, flathead, torx screws or small bolts. Has a bottle cap opener also and the material is very strong, if you chip or scratch it you're doing something wrong.

Thanks for the feedback Autodialect. I'll give one a go and see if it works for me then.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #1188
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_01_xr400 View Post
By the way, I have an extra one that is brand new if anyone is interested. They are like $60 new. I would sell it for $38 shipped to you (48 state US).

Scott i just heard a friend is coming over to Thailand from the states to visit me in two weeks and can bring your extra MP tool for me. I'm gonna give you a PM to buy your tool. Can you confirm that it is the metric version? I'll be curious to see whether I will adopt it or not as it will save some space if I end up adopting it. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #1189
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
I've got both the motion pro t-handle and the metric tool. Bought the metric tool but they send me the t-handle and told me to keep it while they sent the correct tool. Good service.

Been working it out last night and reckon I'm better off with my old setup of a 10mm gear wrench and an adapter like this.

You can get them like this as well.

You only need 1 drive, and the rest sockets and wrenches. I do like the double sided allan keys though because they're not as easy to loose and easy to carry in the pouch. You'll need a deep 8mm socket to drive those, or a spanner. Job done.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #1190
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
I've got both the motion pro t-handle and the metric tool. Bought the metric tool but they send me the t-handle and told me to keep it while they sent the correct tool. Good service.

Been working it out last night and reckon I'm better off with my old setup of a 10mm gear wrench and an adapter like this.

You can get them like this as well.

You only need 1 drive, and the rest sockets and wrenches. I do like the double sided allan keys though because they're not as easy to loose and easy to carry in the pouch. You'll need a deep 8mm socket to drive those, or a spanner. Job done.

Where can one find these?

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #1191
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

I just googled 10mm wrench to socket adapter for the top ones. I've got a set of it and maybe even from RS components who hosts that image. The second one is from gearwrench. I personally prefer the top (I have both) because I just leave it on my 10mm hinged gear wrench with a wobble extender to keep it in place and keep it in my camelbak. It slides off the wrench otherwise. Both do, although it has an o-ring to help that, but the smaller the better for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #1192
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post

I've got a couple of those, I keep it on a second 10mm wrench I carry. I found I often need a second 10mm and sometimes need a second 1\4" drive. This gives me that. Usually you only need a second 1\4" drive to hold something still to remove or tighten from the other side.

They work great. I have th eone with the knurled outer lip, it's made by gear wrench, bought a whole kit just for that and a 10mm to 1\4" hex converter like in the first pic.

That converter on a 10mm deep socket wrapped in hockey tape is my screwdriver.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #1193
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Usually you only need a second 1\4" drive to hold something still to remove or tighten from the other side
True. Only I find that a good pair of pliers like the knipex cobra which now come in a real stubby version can do that. When you really begin tightening it you don't need a lot of torque on the other end so a pair of pliers don't really do any damage. Friction does most of the work.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #1194
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Motion Pro spark plug tool

Wondering if I'm not seeing something. I purchased the Motion Pro spark plug tool

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0239/

to outfit my toolkit. I purchased this combo as I wanted the 3 inch 3/8 wobble extention that comes in the package to combine with my six inch 3/8 extension to reach some deep tank bolts on my large tanked YZF. The extention and plug socket fit fine and also work around my KTM frame stellar. However, the female end of the 3" extention is 1/4" and the male end is 3/8" that goes into the plug socket 3/8". Why would they have differing shaft sizes cast in? For example, I mean if i've got a 3/8 drive unit I want it to work with all my 3/8" kit, If I'm using a 1/4" drive unit I want it to work with all 1/4" stuff. Why the combinmation of needed shaft sizes on one piece of kit that would disallow this? I cannot use this extention with my 3/8 stuff due to it having the 1/4 female end in it instead of 3/8. Luckily I can use a phillips screwdriver to remove the plug but I would prefer it better if it would work with my 3/8 driver as well. if I was using a 1/4" driver it would work in the extention but then the 3/8" male end on the extention would not work with any of my 1/4" drive sockets. What is the logic of doing this? Am I just not seeing or understanding something?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #1195
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,937
A 1/4" drive rachet is lighter to carry in a tool kit. The extension allows you three options of driver allowing you to use a wrench if you need a lot of torque and a small 1/4" rachet for speed. I think this will be one of my next tools just for that feature.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #1196
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
A 1/4" drive rachet is lighter to carry in a tool kit. The extension allows you three options of driver allowing you to use a wrench if you need a lot of torque and a small 1/4" rachet for speed. I think this will be one of my next tools just for that feature.

Dirtdabber I understand that I can use a 1/4 inch driver which is nice and light and its also nice to have the screwdriver and 14mm wrench option to drive the extention. The issue I see is if I bring a 1/4 driver and related 1/4" sockets, i then cannot use the Motion Pro 3" extension with 1/4" sockets since it has a 3/8" male end instead of 1/4". Why would the extention not be 1/4" on both the male and female ends to allow the extention the ability to work with 1/4" sockets? In my eyes both male and female ends of the extention should be the same size to facillitate uniformity in the tool kit. Whats is the advantage of having the female end of the extention 1/4" and the male end 3/8"? Anybody?

team ftb screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 05:30 AM
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #1197
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Dirtdabber I understand that I can use a 1/4 inch driver which is nice and light and its also nice to have the screwdriver and 14mm wrench option to drive the extention. The issue I see is if I bring a 1/4 driver and related 1/4" sockets, i then cannot use the Motion Pro 3" extension with 1/4" sockets since it has a 3/8" male end instead of 1/4". Why would the extention not be 1/4" on both the male and female ends to allow the extention the ability to work with 1/4" sockets? In my eyes both male and female ends of the extention should be the same size to facillitate uniformity in the tool kit. Whats is the advantage of having the female end of the extention 1/4" and the male end 3/8"? Anybody?
The 3/8" side is notched to allow for the socket to wobble. You could not do that if it was 1/4 because there would not be enough metal and it would break. The 1/4" side is designed to take a wrench to break nuts free if needed and then use a weaker and shorter 1/4" drive to finish. If that side was 3/8" then the "nut" part would be huge and then clearance could become an issue and it may not fit any wrench in a standard tool kit.

Bottom line is that it is designed as a compromise tool that does several things and when you do that you lose function somewhere. Here that lost function is a 1/4" drive extension. Just look at it as a long 1/4 to 3/8 adapter.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #1198
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Extension

Get a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter, 3 $, problem solved. Then for some larger sizes you can 3/8" use sockets as well.

Quote:
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum

Motoriley screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 05:44 AM Reason: I canut spiel.
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #1199
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
All sparkplug sockets are 3/8", so this allows you to use any sparkplug socket. You could just get a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter if you want to use it as a 1/4 extension.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #1200
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
The 3/8" side is notched to allow for the socket to wobble. You could not do that if it was 1/4 because there would not be enough metal and it would break.
Actually, Snap-On makes a 1/4" wobble extension that works quite well. I have one as part of my tool kit and have been using it with 8, 10, and 12mm sockets no problem. I wouldn't put too much torque on it, but so far it's held up to everything I have thrown at it. I would not depend on a 1/4" wobble extension that wasn't made by a high quality tool supplier.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog