User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #1216
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Wicked

I have seen a number of those S adjustable wrenches made by Wescott.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #1217
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironforge View Post
Sorted
Thanks GS Jon

Anyway here they are:

Cheers
Now that is fricken cool! You could either pound your ice to get the individulal cubes or pick them apart.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #1218
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironforge View Post

I want one Can I have yours?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #1219
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Here's the kit I put together for an XR650L and a CRF230F. I can do all basic maintenance and trail repairs with this....

...Sawzall blade, can be used with the vise grips... to cut stuff!

Nice kit! I like the sawzall blade idea, I am now going to ditch the mini hacksaw from my expedition kit & put in one of those.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #1220
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
Bolts to suit every taste:
http://www.pro-bolt.com/
Holy hell my wallet will never forgive you.

I see a lot of titanium bolts coming to farkle my TE...
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1221
AdvRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Question Proxxon Tool Quality??

Can I ask what the quality of the Proxxon tools are? Compared to maybe the Snap-On or something similiar type lines? I was working on perfecting my tool kit for my KTM Adventure and/or Overlanding vehicle kit and was looking at a couple of the Proxxon sets - like their Torx/Allen sets and was just wondering how they compare.

Anyone give me a heads up on any issues or compliments?
AdvRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #1222
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
i just bought the motion pro titanium 8, 10, 12, 14 mm spanners. they are much shorter than regular spanners and extremely light. not really recommended for the workshop but certainly great for the trail.

over time i have found that i am buying some tool kits and taking out what i need for my bike.

i have a 6mm (1/4") t-bar drive for some sockets. but its been hard finding slot and star drive screwdriver heads that are integral with the socket body to fit the 6mm t-bar drive. i dont want to double up with having 10 mm (3/8") socket drive so its been a challenge so far.

im wondering whats the best way or the 'knack' to folding up spare tubes. ive tried heaps of ways but i still get a pretty bulky package. i wrap them in a plastic bag then duct tape the whole thing. any suggestions would be grateful.

bernadette
Put the tube in a seal-a-meal package and vacuum seal it up. Works awesome.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1223
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRat View Post
Can I ask what the quality of the Proxxon tools are? Compared to maybe the Snap-On or something similiar type lines? I was working on perfecting my tool kit for my KTM Adventure and/or Overlanding vehicle kit and was looking at a couple of the Proxxon sets - like their Torx/Allen sets and was just wondering how they compare.

In the woodworking world Proxxon tools are very highly regarded. I don't have any of their hand tools.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #1224
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRat View Post

I have a couple torque wrenches from Proxxon and a small took kit as well as some wrences. Looks and feels real nice but I have to tell you I have broke both the 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrenches I have had. Both were replaced under guarantee and the replacements have proven to be just fine. YMMV....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #1225
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post

i have a 6mm (1/4") t-bar drive for some sockets. but its been hard finding slot and star drive screwdriver heads that are integral with the socket body to fit the 6mm t-bar drive. i dont want to double up with having 10 mm (3/8") socket drive so its been a challenge so far.

bernadette
I solved the same problem for Torqx bits which I could only find in 3/8 drive by using Torqx bits with 1/4 hex drive and bonding them in 1/4 in drive 1/4 hex sockets with Locktite red.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #1226
eng42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Socket adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I have pretty much the same thing, made by gearwrench, but I've seen them marked with other brands. I keep the 10mm and 1\4" adapters in my little altoids tin. It's too bad the 3\8th adapter requires a 13mm and the 1\2" requires a 19mm since I don't carry wrenches in the size. Maybe I'll try to grind the one down to 12mm and the other down to 17mm.

I used a file and smallerized the 13mm down to 12mm in about 5 minutes. I left it a little oversize so it stays put better. Mine is a Sears one, and it uses an o-ring in a groove to keep it from falling out, and when you file it down, the groove is too shallow for the o-ring.
'03 DRZ400S
'72 Husqvarna CR400
eng42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #1227
eng42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

I was thinking the same thing, uncommon sizes. Maybe someone has a patent on the using 17mm and 12mm?

Nothing to do with patents--12mm are only found on Japanese things, since the rest of the world uses 13mm heads on 8mm bolts. On 10mm bolts, everyone uses 14mm heads except the US; we made up 15mm just to be different.
'03 DRZ400S
'72 Husqvarna CR400
eng42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #1228
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,786
Update...

I keep meaning to update this thread with my latest bag changes...my old Ogio/Camelback combo finally really fell apart, and after doing another round of test-fits of all sort of other brand I settled on a combination of Klim packs. For backpack replacement, I chose the Klim NacPac:

The only criticism I have is that it is bigger than my old pack, and that means I'm prone to add more stuff...so I'll have to keep my tendency to add non-essentials in check, I guess.

While ordering on the phone, I actually found out that Klim now employs one of the previous designers of the Ogio stuff - that explained why I immediately honed in on the Klim Scramble Pak. It looked similar my old Ogio MX450, but has better organization and padding without being prone to slipping down my waist while pounding whoops:

I'll update if I find any defiiciencies, but as of right now it only took an hour to swap all of my tools and stuff across to these bags because there was literally a place for everything already, and then some.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #1229
AdvRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Wera Quality? Looking for a High Quality Torx set?

Can anyone give me any links or comments to reviews on the Wera tools. I posted looking for any comments on the Proxxon tools - mainly the sockets such as the Torx ones and was looking around and thought maybe the Wera ones might be a better choice - any help? I was looking at their drivers and Torx bits.

I'm looking for Torx sockets up to I think T45 but would like to get them in the smallest drive possible - such as 1/4" or something that would work in a small driver/screwdriver. I would like a decent sized assortment. I purchased the Proxxon 41 piece Torx/Allen set but I really do not think the quality looks like some of my Snap-On tools or even the Craftsman ones for that matter. I don't think the finish is all that great so I may return them and keep looking.

I was going to then follow up with a couple Proxxon rachet/driver/socket sets to have a tool set aside for my bike in my shop, and maybe pick and choose the ones I want in my carry kit, but based on my first impression of the Torx/Allen set I'm not sure I will continue my purchases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AdvRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #1230
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Wera makes quality stuff, crazy expensive off the shelf however.. well at least here. 40 euro for a 1/4 ratchet with a swivel end, yeah by the quantity left on the rack everyone else also took a pass. But yeah, it was very sweet.

Don't worry about the sizing, just get a adapter for two bucks. Currently I have a 1/4" -> 3/8" adapter on my kit for a 17 mm socket I want to use with my 1/4" driver.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote