Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #1276
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Motion Pro multi tool failure

A heads up for those out there using one of these:

Earlier in this thread I was advised that this was a decent product and quite a few people vouched for them being well made. Being a satisfied owner of a few bits of Motion Pro kit I was intrigued so bought one. Since Trail tools are generally only used when the shit hits the fan and broken bikes need to be mended, often times to get you back, they need to be reliable and trustworthy. Because of this I used it in the garage for a couple weeks to make sure it accessed everything well enough and worked without issues. I was pleased because it worked well enough that I could use this tool to replace my standard sliding T-handle w/sockets, allen wrenches, and 4 bit screwdriver. it saved a decent bit of bulk from my toolkit and seemed reliable so I was pleased as punch. I added to the kit the optional Allen key bit, 6&8mm sockets, and a 3 inch 1/4" drive extention, all fitted within the kits case. Very cool. Pleased enough to take it on an offroad tour with 10 clients through Lao. In the field there I used the scewdriver and all sockets on customers bikes without issue and happy as a pig in shit with my new found gadget.

Back to Thailand on a day ride w/a friend and needed to remove a 10mm bolt from a case guard during the ride. Whipped out the motion Pro tool and went to work...................uh oh. Here's a video back in the garage of what took place.

Well my first time embedding a video failed so here's just a link to the Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsOHR..._order&list=UL

The socket driver I believe is two pieces pressed together with some type of epoxy. Sadly the epoxy ain't working here resulting in the two pieces rotating and having no torque put into the fastener. Just a forewarning to others that may be relying on this piece in their kit like me.

Since I'm overseas in Thailand i shall wait until I'm back in the states in a couple months and contact Motion Pro. Never heard of anyone else having an issue but just wanted to share my experience so others may evaluate whether they want to rely on the tool. I have full confidence they shall take care of the situation as all my prior experience with the Motion Pro staff and products have been stellar.

I've put my old reliable tools back into the toolkit.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 02:54 AM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #1277
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
You probably keep a multi tool in your toolkit, or maybe a swiss army knife. But aside from a quick adjustment or a 1-2-3 type of repair you will generally go into your full tool kit.

Think of that MP tool the same way, if you were using it for some serious stuff that was your first mistake.

With that said, I used mine a few times where high torque was required without fail, but I was too lazy to walk all the way back to my bike (was working on someone else's).

It's the type of tool you keep under your seat or if you have a concours like me in the glove compartment along with an M14 from cruztools, a leatherman and maybe one or two other little tools.

For anything major, break out the tool roll.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #1278
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
You probably keep a multi tool in your toolkit, or maybe a swiss army knife. But aside from a quick adjustment or a 1-2-3 type of repair you will generally go into your full tool kit.

Think of that MP tool the same way, if you were using it for some serious stuff that was your first mistake.

With that said, I used mine a few times where high torque was required without fail, but I was too lazy to walk all the way back to my bike (was working on someone else's).

It's the type of tool you keep under your seat or if you have a concours like me in the glove compartment along with an M14 from cruztools, a leatherman and maybe one or two other little tools.

+1 The tools I carry with me are only there to get me out the woods/home, not for full on work.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #1279
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,995
Re: Motion Pro Driver.

Hey, Just curious if you tested to see if that is indeed rotating internally.

Have you tried using a vice to hold one end and using a wrench to rotate the tool? Hard to see anything happen when you use the tool to rotate it, but if it is pressed together it may well have a shear pin of some nature to hold it together, that could have broken.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #1280
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Thanks for posting up, ftb. That looks like a significant issue. I agree that MP seems like they'd be interested.

What are you other guys talking about, don't use tools or they might break?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #1281
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

Quote:
+1 The tools I carry with me are only there to get me out the woods/home, not for full on work.

Who knows, maybe myself and everyone I know riding bikes is different. The tools we carry must work on intended fasteners or why bother carrying them. The repair was to get me out of the woods and was not an engine rebuild breaking flywheel nuts loose. The MP tool was not used to undo an axle or anything over the top, simply undo a 10mm bolt. The shaft sizes used in the MP toolkit are large enough to withstand the torque needed to undo and fasten most 6-12MM bolts used on the bikes.

Nobody i knows likes to carry extra weight on the bikes in terms of multiple toolkits, we all carry shit that works as intended. I think the MP tool works well enough to replace any 6-12mm sockets, hex's and screwdrivers in the toolkit but only if the unit was assembled correctly. I believe my unit just had a flaw during assembly, not a fundamental flaw in the product but who knows. The MPs kit has been recommended by quite a few people and maybe I was hoping the recommendations were based on practical usage of the tool over time and hopefully not because it adjusted a mirror twice and thats it.

I'm not bashing MP Tools or trying to convinve anyone to not carry redundant tools. In my eyes however Trail tools are meant to get you home after the shit hits the fan and the tools need to be depended on. ALL the riders I know feel the same way and their toolkits reflect it, thats the whole reason for this thread, to assist people in working out a functional toolkit that works in the field. Hislamers kit he carries is not designed to replace pistons on the trail but be high enough quality that he can fix and repair his bike to get him back to the garage. His mini ratchet drivers he carries are not to replace his full toolkit he has at home but to be relied upon to get him home with the minmum possble weight and space taken up in his toolkit. Thats exactly what I ask of my toolkit and was hoping the MP tool would work well in this role. The idea of carrying the MP toolkit as a convenience item in addition to additional sockets, drivers, screwdrivers and hex's that the MP tool covers is not what I'm looking for my ideal Trailsoide tool kit. But we're all different I guess.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #1282
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Re: Motion Pro Driver.

Hey, Just curious if you tested to see if that is indeed rotating internally.

Have you tried using a vice to hold one end and using a wrench to rotate the tool? Hard to see anything happen when you use the tool to rotate it, but if it is pressed together it may well have a shear pin of some nature to hold it together, that could have broken.
Sorry no vice in my garage. it is turning internally however with my eyes I cannot see exactly where. I believe the nut that holds the socket driver bit into the handle, and where that nut portion mates to the driver is the connection that is faulty.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #1283
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Not sure if I clarified or not. The demonstration in the video was a replay of what happened in the field. I needed the MP in the field to access the water pump and thats where it intially failed. Video was for demonstrative purposes only.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #1284
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Just heard from Motion Pro regarding their Multi tool failure. Here's their response:

Quote:
Hello Justin,
I am sorry you had a problem with one of our products. I have seen that happen occasionally, but it is prett rare. We would be happy to send you another drive adapter, just provide me with a mailing address, and I will send one to you.

Typical Motion Pro stellar customer support. Hats off to them. Sadly this also means that what happened to me on the trail has happened to others so keep that in mind if you decide to rely on this tool.

It begs the question how can we keep this from happening again with this tool? Obviously having the drive adapter made out of one piece rather than two would be ideal but that would be up to Motion Pro. Sadly there are space limitations within the tool interfaces that may preclude welding the two pieces together or using JB weld to hold the pieces. Anybody have some suggestions?

Here is the joint that failed.

The drive adapter and main body of the tool being mated together.

Fully seated together.

As you can see not much room to work in a solution to joining to two parts together. Any ideas out there?

Here's what the MP tool replaced out of my kit.

My kit is pared down pretty small for what it does but the MP packs even smaller.

Until I have confidence back in this product I'm back to my old reliable kit.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #1285
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Sadly there are space limitations within the tool interfaces that may preclude welding the two pieces together or using JB weld to hold the pieces. Anybody have some suggestions?
Wicking (green), high strength thread locker.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #1286
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Pin it!

Drill a hole and pin it. Maybe a roll pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Wicking (green), high strength thread locker.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1287
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Drill a hole and pin it. Maybe a roll pin.
+1. I was thinking the same thing.

Actually it might already have a pin. Have you tried moving that rubber gasket out of that groove. Might be evidence of a (failed) pin in that spot.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #1288
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Here is the joint that failed.

The drive adapter and main body of the tool being mated together.

Grind back that disk, like put a big 'D' flat on it, all the way back to line up with one of the small hex flats. That should expose all 3 pieces to a weld bead. Maybe 'double D' flat and make two welds, grind and weld one 'D' at a time though. Oh, and remove the o-rings before welding.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #1289
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
I think you guys are missing the failure point. Ftb your video shows the problem clearly. Slowly step through the video (drag the slider back and forth, frames 33 thru 38) and you can see a crack in the outer housing widen and then close as the cover slips from one flat of the hex shaft to the next.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1290
MojaveSidecar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I think you guys are missing the failure point. Ftb your video shows the problem clearly. Slowly step through the video (drag the slider back and forth, frames 33 thru 38) and you can see a crack in the outer housing widen and then close as the cover slips from one flat of the hex shaft to the next.
Good catch DirtJack looks like a hair line crack between seconds 33 thru 38... you must have eyes like a hawk.
MojaveSidecar is offline   Reply With Quote