Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1306
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
I also built a nearly duplicate kit for my Adventure, though, with specialzed stuff for that bike as you would assume, and minus the first aid stuff because I carry that all the time in a backpack I use daily whether I'm riding in to work or not, etc.
Maybe we should get you to do a thread on the first-aid kit sometime, if you've done a lot of work on it like you have with the toolkit. :)
So much of what i've seen is more orientated to band-aids for little cuts, not the kind of injuries you might want to attend to in the bike context. Basically, i don't see the type of wound dressings that would be good for bike crash wounds - big enough. I suppose some of the military stuff would be suitable but i haven't seen enough of it to know what to get.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #1307
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Think there are already a few good first-aid threads on here. Remember there was no shortage of info out there when I was putting mine together.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1308
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
lots of thought goes into my tool kits
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #1309
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
but not into your posts? haha. how about sharing something with us then? what'cha got?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #1310
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,708
Shhh... thinking.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #1311
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Motion Pro multi tool failure update

I posted earlier about my Motion Pro multi tool failure.

The weakness was the socket driver that is manufactured in multiple pieces then pressed together I'm assuming with some type of adhesive. Those multiple pieces were slipping inside one another and thus providing no torque to the fasteners after two weeks of usage. In other words it did not work for shit.

The driver was spinning where I'm pointing to. i ended up having the Driver welded both above and below what looks like a washer (but is not a washer) and came out with this result.

The difficult part was getting the weld bead to the left of the washer looking piece to not interfere with the Driver mounting into the tool.

Luckily it was all done neat enough and fits snugly thankfully.

So those with these tools be forewarned that this same issue may crop up with your tool,

Now that I have had my confidence rattled in this piece i'm not sure that even though its now fixed, that I'll have confidence enough to pack it. Decisions decisions. Or do i just keep using my old reliable sliding T-handle, sockets, allen Keys and 4 bit screwdriver that this tool replaced??? A difficult decision as the MP tool packs really small which is quite nice when i'm heading off on a two week offroad ride next week to Laos.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #1312
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
No piston / crankshaft, but yeah, stator (about the size of a fist), a set of wheel bearings, and one set of fork seals. Front brake and clutch lever, extra clutch and throttle cables zip-tied to the originals, usually a set of brake pads, a few chain links, spark plug, spare carb jets. This is for 2 DRZ's.
I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this. I see absolutely no reason why a bike should be neglected so badly that you would need to worry about a wheel bearing failing in the field. Let alone getting one out trailside; do you carry a big hammer and a foot-long punch too? Same with carbs. Unless you need to retune for altitude (I've never bothered for a trip), a clean(ish) and properly setup carb should have no reason to need jets on the road. What about spare floats and needles? Brake pads should last 10,000+ miles on a DRZ under average conditions, not many people will do 10k in a 2 week trip... If you change your pads, do you change the rotors too?

I'd rather take a day to do my maintenance, than have it take 10 times as long ans be 10 times shittier on the side of the trail.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #1313
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this. I see absolutely no reason why a bike should be neglected so badly that you would need to worry about a wheel bearing failing in the field.

Wheel bearings "never" just fail anyway......

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=26

I wonder where that road goes?

DirtDabber screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 09:11 AM
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #1314
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this.
Yep.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #1315
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
socket rails

I see a lot of magnetic strips in these kits for holding sockets. Where do you guys get these? Are they the plastic / metal rails I see online with the plastic stripped away or can you buy just the magnetic strip itself?
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1316
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Asahi Lightweight Tools in the US

http://www.levelchrome.com/ASAHI_bymfg_6-0-1.html
Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #1317
Sledgecrowbar
***ified for awesome

Oddometer: 4
Hey everyone, first post. This thread is awesome.

I was re-visiting it (long time lurker) and saw the Asahi wrenches and figured it might be worth it to check Level Chrome, I didn't get my membership approval in time and someone beat me to it, I'm glad because I've bought from them before (Vessel screwdrivers to stop messing up my breaker points screws - JIS standards for old bikes) and the store was great to me. I remember on another forum (Garage Journal) when the guy opened that store up. For the old timers, he also carries Koken sockets (current stuff though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
Being a tool junkie, I also recommend Chad's Tool Box for German tools (not sure if it's common knowledge, but being that BMW is spoken here, worth mention). That and Level Chrome are my two toy stores for really nice import tools that impress fellow wrench turners.

I'm still new to long-distance riding, so all I normally carry is a flashlight and a multi-tool, though the one time I happened to have zip ties they came in handy. Lots of great ideas here, I've been working on a decent kit to fill the bottom of my saddlebags but haven't used tools on the road yet. Other than running out of gas twice in my years of riding (and not reserve thankfully), I've been lucky.

Does anyone have just saddlebags and no top box, and find that it matters to split your toolkit evenly? I don't use my bags for much that's heavy but I want to know before I put weight outboard that isn't even.

I sell motorcycle parts at a multi-brand dealership in NJ
Sledgecrowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #1318
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Yep.
You can find examples of ANY part failing on here if you search hard enough. I would hardly use that as a reason to carry said parts. As I said before, swapping wheel bearings is a non-trivial job. You'd need to carry circlip pliers and a long punch (and find a large rock to use as a hammer), at the bare minimum.

The same thing is true for lots of other weird parts.

Brake caliper pistons, pads, clutch discs, rings, air filter (and oil), oil filters, and a hundred other things...
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #1319
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgecrowbar View Post
Does anyone have just saddlebags and no top box, and find that it matters to split your toolkit evenly?
I never worry about this. I put clothes in one bag and toolkit, spares, and cooking kit in the other which is probably a few pounds side-to-side discrepency. If it makes a difference in the handling, I can't detect it with all the other factors. If you're really anal, you'll find most bikes have a little pull to one side or the other unloaded (ride hands off to discover which) so you can use the toolkit weight to trim the bike.

And you never want to put heavy stuff in a top box. I find using one is handy for trundling around town, but on tour, I don't want this weight up high nor the destabilizing aero influence, so the top box stays home.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1320
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
one addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelprof View Post
Here is my ever evolving tool kit for my KLR650s.

1. Motion Pro T-6 Chain Tool + T6 Trail Bead
2. Motion Pro Tool Metric + 16 mm and 14 mm sockets
3. Stop & Go portable mini-air compressor + tube repair kit
4. Air pressure gauge 60 psi max (Accu-Gage RA60X)
5. Motion Pro Ball End Allen Set 9PC (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 10 mm)
6. Husky Pro 3/8″ Drive Pearhead Ratchet Model 22800 + 3/8 to 1/4 adapter
7. Motion Pro T6 Combo Lever (27 mm) + 3/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter
8. Motion Pro T6 Combo Lever (12mm/13mm)
9. Pittsburgh 7 Piece Metric Ratcheting Combo Wrench Set (17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 mm)
10. Craftsman Metric Crowfoot Wrenches (17 mm and 19 mm)
11. Jack made from crutch (velcro strap to engage front break)
12. Phillips and flat short screw drivers
13. Screw driver with set of phillips + flat tips from Chapman 7500 tool kit.
14. 3/8 drive metric deep sockets (13, 12, 10, 8 mm)
15. Husky 8-Piece Bit Ratchet Set
16. JB KWIX (fast curing version of JB WELD)— Each inside a plastic tube. Popsicle sticks for mixing
17. Black electrical tape wrapped around the tube that holds the orange JB KWIX
18. Blue duct tape wrapped around the tube that holds the blue JB KWIX
19. Red (271) and blue (242) Loctite (thread locker)
20. Zip ties of several sizes
21. Craftsman 7 in. Adjustable Pliers (Germany)
22. Craftsman 6 in. Beak Jaw Adjustable Wrench (Extra-wide jaw)
23. Craftsman 6 in. Long Nose Pliers (USA)
24. Leatherman Wave tool
25. Telescopic magnetic pickup tool
This looks like an excellent kit. I might add a pair of vise grips. While racing an enduro about 30 years back I was able to not only get out of the woods but finish the race after I lost the front axel nut. Found the axel. Clamped vice grips on where nut would normally reside, wrapped aircraft wire around the handle of vice grip and fork tube then electrical tape to hold in the closed position and prevent spinning. Worked like a charm. Wish I invented the idea but I had read about it somewhere.
Rabbot is offline   Reply With Quote