Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #1396
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,191
Brick - I've got the Trak Tools kit but not the axle wrench set. It's well made and I keep it in the tank bag when I don't have the big tool kit with me.

It's nice and compact and I like it - well made, good for smaller bolts and such but not high torque - the t-handle is small diameter and short so it's hard to get a lot of torque with it, but that's not what it was designed for. Gives you a wrench handle/screwdriver as opposed to just a 1/4" ratchet.

T-handle fits into bit holder and then fits into the main body for storage. There are small allen screws that can be tightened to hold the bits tightly in the bit holder, and the accompanying allen wrench is tip is built into the base of the main body. The brass ring slides back and forth to lock the bit holder in the body.

I like their idea for the axle wrench and have wondered why something similar hasn't been done for standard wrench sizes - a universal handle, with snap in wrench heads. Or even a 3/8 6" extension as a handle with wrench heads that snap into/onto the extension.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #1397
Brick Top
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
LoneStar

I don΄t think they exist any more. Their website is not working as far as I can see. But it seems they have had good reviews from people who bought their kits.
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #1398
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
chaparral-racing.com

they look interesting chaparral has them listed

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../003-0031.aspx
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #1399
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,191
Tommu thx - can't seem to find the heads for it tho - saw this on there as well - anyone used one of these for any length of time?

Says it fits 8-25mm and eliminates the normal slop of an adjustable - about $35.

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/...215/index.html

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #1400
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,922
[/QUOTE]

a deceptikon spanner - fuck me - what ever will they think of next?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #1401
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
...have wondered why something similar hasn't been done for standard wrench sizes - a universal handle, with snap in wrench heads. Or even a 3/8 6" extension as a handle with wrench heads that snap into/onto the extension.
Think we're probably going to end up making something like these for 1/4" socket drivers (would use an extension as the handle).
Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #1402
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,054
This trak-tools kit has a couple of the open end wrenches (10mm, 12mm) that fit a 1/4" bit drive.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../003-0021.aspx

I wonder how these kits compare in size and function to the Motion-Pro MP kit?: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

I own one of the MP kits, have heard good and bad about it (and am not engaged to it). Every kit has some compromises it seems.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #1403
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
This trak-tools kit has a couple of the open end wrenches (10mm, 12mm) that fit a 1/4" bit drive.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../003-0021.aspx

I wonder how these kits compare in size and function to the Motion-Pro MP kit?: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

I own one of the MP kits, have heard good and bad about it (and am not engaged to it). Every kit has some compromises it seems.

I called Chaparral yesterday and they aren't going to carry the axle wrenches any more and only had one handle in stock no heads.

tom
Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #1404
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Think we're probably going to end up making something like these for 1/4" socket drivers (would use an extension as the handle).

I'd be interested in using these in conjunction with my modified Motio Pro MP tool that I wrote about earlier in the thread. One question is I use wrenches generally for my high torque needs and the 1/4 drive Motion Pro tool for convenience. Jesus do you have a concern the 1/4" drive based wrench ends will be able to handle the torque needed for breaking loose stubborn bolts up 12mm -14mm? What;s your thoughts on this? Whats the largest size you're thinking of producing?

Best of luck with the project.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #1405
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,328
Yeah, I think a high-quality 1/4" extension would be fine for 7/8/10/12/13/14mm bolts, but the only thing I'd want to use a 17mm on would be something like a float bowl. Will have to run these things through FEA to confirm, but think they'll be plenty strong enough for smaller hardware and will save a bit of space without have any real downsides that are typically associated with multi-tools.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #1406
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
Found these..... seem usefull

Clever...ordered 27mm and 32mm. By accident also ordered Leg Pegs from same web site, never seen before but will give them a try http://www.mxsouth.com/uniteddistrib...s-leg-pegs.htm (sorry bit of topic there...).

Another tip, guy I met claimed that tyre foam worked also for tyres with tubes, as a limb home solution. Then later same day another guy had a flat...and it worked!
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #1407
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Yeah, I think a high-quality 1/4" extension would be fine for 7/8/10/12/13/14mm bolts, but the only thing I'd want to use a 17mm on would be something like a float bowl. Will have to run these things through FEA to confirm, but think they'll be plenty strong enough for smaller hardware and will save a bit of space without have any real downsides that are typically associated with multi-tools.

Thanks for the answer. Hope the tests prove out for you.

I'm a huge proponent for minimizing the load and anything that saves weight and space I'm a supporter. I've transitioned from a 1/4" T handle driver and socket bits to the Motion Pro (but weld the damn piece like I posted about earlier in the thread) to save some weight/space. In addition to the sockets it has replaced my screwdriver which is nice. The hex bits I prefer L shapped hexes for my carb work.

Two concerns I have with something like this idea Jesusgatos:

A place where these may not be able to replace your wrench set is when you need two wrenches at once ie adjusting a chain.

Second is I would be giving up the box end part of the wrench which is the portion of the wrench used to break loose or torque down bolts. I would be nervous only having the open end of the wrench and nothing else. Any thoughts on this?

Currently utulizing stubby wrenches to save a bit if weight/space but not enough time on them to pass judgement.
All the best

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1408
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
FTB,

From my experience, and for the reasons you mentioned, it pays to carry duplicate tools.
Last time when I only had stubby wrenches I couldn't do anything with them because of small leverage. But, I do know there is one bolt on my bike that I can only access with a stubby wrench without removing body panels. Same goes for short and long HEX drivers.
It's best to tailor the toolkit around given bike and it's expected faults or maintenance. You can save a lot of weight and bulk in that way.
You can lock the closed end of another stubby into the open end of the wrench you are using on the bolt for more leverage....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #1409
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
FTB,

From my experience, and for the reasons you mentioned, it pays to carry duplicate tools.
Last time when I only had stubby wrenches I couldn't do anything with them because of small leverage. But, I do know there is one bolt on my bike that I can only access with a stubby wrench without removing body panels. Same goes for short and long HEX drivers.
It's best to tailor the toolkit around given bike and it's expected faults or maintenance. You can save a lot of weight and bulk in that way.

use 2 wrenches

of course you would be using 2 stubby's
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #1410
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
FTB,

What you are saying about tailoring the tool kit to the bike in my experience has allowed me not to have to carry duplicate tools. This is why I continue to carry the L shape hexes as it provides more efficient access to my carb than the Motion Pro MP hexes allow. I do all my work on the bike with only the tools in my toolkit, this quickly lets me know what does and does not work effectively. The risk i run with not carrying duplicates is if I lose or break a tool. Then I'm hosed. Where's some wood to knock on.

One place I can forsee the stubby wrenches having an issue is if you need the length of a full size wrench to access a hidden bolt head that you could not get to with your socket. So far though on my bikes I have yet to come across it.

+3 on using two wrenches for leverage. Not as nice and quick as a full size wrench but so far have busted loose drain plugs, cylinders etc. without issue.

Thanks for the tips.